Dave Watson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was once at a company event and Fashanu was the guest speaker.The RS next to me asked him which was the best team he had ever played against and was thoroughly gobsmacked when he answered (instantly) with ”mid eighties Everton”
Mid eighties Everton were the real deal. Had an answer to everything chucked at them. Moysies team came close to emulating them. 4th in the prem on a budget was not easy. Lampard is the next chapter of Everton...skip the shat in between.

Saw his name mentioned on another thread,just thought to myself he maybe gets overlooked a little sometimes by our fanbase,what a great servant,player,leader,he had a difficult start to his career,but went on to win a title and FA Cup,for me though his greatest achievement was being one of our stellar performers in the early to mid 1990s when we had a terrible team but he shone like a beacon with his consistency and was also one of the true hard men of the era without ever shouting his mouth off about it,Thanks Waggy a true legend of our club.?
I met him with Gary Speed supporting a local club both smartly dressed - nice guys

One of my favourite Everton players of all time. Great defender, dangerous in both penalty areas and scored some crucial goals.

I absolutely loved him and I'd say probably my favourite Everton captains
I was only saying the other day, he was probably the last great captain we have had, which is desperately sad when you think about it.

A mate of mine who's son was at the academy but had to leave because of health reasons and he was devastated.Watson who was club captain at the time was round at the house every day to see the lad and cheer him up. Cracking feller, hail's from over the bridge, close to the new stadium.

Well,this thread has put my mind at ease,it appears Waggy is definitely not underrated by Evertonians ?
Dave is up there with Trevor, Sheeds and Nev as my all time fave players. The defence was without doubt far more solid with him in it- our all-time goals conceded record (in 87-88) simply wouldn't have been possible without him there (and we were far tighter in 86/87 than the previous two years before also, despite having way more injuries- the key to that being Dave's presence). It always baffled me that people didn't take to him straight away, especially after how bad the central defence was in the 2nd half of the 86 cup final- it was obvious to me that summer that we needed to reinforce that defence and Degsy was going to have to make way if we wanted to topple the RS again. I think I recall this was either going to be Butcher or Watson at the time. We made the right choice.

One of Howard's best signings, for sure and the main reason- along with Southall- that we didn't go down in the 90s. A born winner (as Ratcliffe once said), a great leader. Definitely harder than Van Den Hauwe too (who was more 'Norman Hunter hard' than 'Johnny Morrissey hard' (i.e. a hacker, rather than a tough mother, who you could hit all day and they'd hardly feel a thing). Of course, a defensive partnership wouldn't be perfect with two Dave Watson's- but one was essential, and more than enough.

"We miss Dave so much when he doesn't play because Dave Watson IS Everton" was said in 1996....by Neville Southall himself, high praise indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.