Dave Watson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Met him briefly in Nuremberg, after a couple of 'alright mates', my mate blurts out 'What was Amo like?'. He laughed and started to talk a bit about how great a guy he was and that was it, my conversation with a club legend was simply about how funny and good a guy Amokachi was :D

Got loads of stick in his first season here. Worth remembering before we write players off after a couple of games.

Aye, well the first few months specifically from a large selection of nimrods. Following a great xmas period and finally looking like serious title challengers again, even these dolts finally realised how much better the defence was with him in it.

Last I heard of him was about 10 years or so ago. He was a long distance runner for Warrington AC. Wouldn’t have thought he had the build for that. Deffo had the guts.

Sir Degsy was a good blue, lived the dream,more successful than Watson.
Scored important goals.
A lot of fans never took to Watson.
All about trophies for me mate.

You said he was better, he wasn't, hence why Watson replaced him, as Mountfield looked our weakest link to me too (Ratcliffe not only preferred playing with Watson, he said he preferred playing with Mark Higgins too). Also, it depends how you define success...when Watson was leading Everton to cup glory, Mountfield was playing near the bottom of the football league, despite being younger than Watson.

Was Alan Shearer less successful than, say, Paul Parker?

You said he was better, he wasn't, hence why Watson replaced him, as Mountfield looked our weakest link to me too (Ratcliffe not only preferred playing with Watson, he said he preferred playing with Mark Higgins too). Also, it depends how you define success...when Watson was leading Everton to cup glory, Mountfield was playing near the bottom of the football league, despite being younger than Watson.

Was Alan Shearer less successful than, say, Paul Parker?
Whose medal haul would you prefer?
Shearer was less successful than Parker.
It's all about winning in my book.
And Watson himself admitted he had to win the fans over.

Whose medal haul would you prefer?
Shearer was less successful than Parker.
It's all about winning in my book.
And Watson himself admitted he had to win the fans over.

Whose career would I prefer? Watson's any day, being a cup winning captain is worth far more than, say, getting a medal as a reserve squad player (ala Degsy in 86/87). You're acting like they're both the same- they aren't. While we're at it, did Mountfield even get a medal in 86/87 anyway? There was a time when you needed 14 games to get one (a 1/3 of the season) and he didn't play enough that year*. This was reduced to 10, but from memory this was during the premier league era. If he did get a meal, it was probably one of those "you didn't really play much, so we've made a bit of a replica years later for you" type deals.

By your rationale Mountfield was better than Labone too. Was he? Also, anybody would be incredibly stupid to want Paul Parker career over Alan Shearer's.

Also, what's your opinion of Alan Ball? Not great if you're going by medals won at Everton. Because, as you said, it's "all about trophies" to you.

* and i don't mean in a 'it's on wikipedia' kinda way.

Status
Not open for further replies.