Homepage Update: Crystal Palace v Everton - Match Report and MotM Poll...

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where's your sarcastic font?
*gulps in horrible realisation...you're serious aren't you, it's worse than i thought.
Not sure of your point mate. Are we not 3 points off 8th?

Anyway, back on thread I thought Niasse was getting far too much attention of late so went for Lennon who put in another decent shift.

Palace's performances over the last few weeks bely their position at the foot of the table. It was a hard point well earned by another spirited performance, but sadly once more seriously lacking in quality. Surely it's only a matter of time before we put together a decent run of performances. We all know the players are capable of it. They can't seem to string 3 passes together at the moment.

Not sure of your point mate. Are we not 3 points off 8th?

Anyway, back on thread I thought Niasse was getting far too much attention of late so went for Lennon who put in another decent shift.

Palace's performances over the last few weeks bely their position at the foot of the table. It was a hard point well earned by another spirited performance, but sadly once more seriously lacking in quality. Surely it's only a matter of time before we put together a decent run of performances. We all know the players are capable of it. They can't seem to string 3 passes together at the moment.
'Only 3pts from 8th' and; 'surely it's only a matter of time' those sentiments could also be seen as the cry of an over optimistic, head in the sand, mediocrity acceptor...not that i imply you are.

So lets see how Unsworth does after say the 9 league games that Koeman had. This brings us to Swansea at home 16th Dec. It includes the derby, but not the thursday cup, which are frankly somewhat irrelevant now.
At the moment 4pts from 3 games is a slight improvement.
Obvs, if Silva comes in all bets are off and the thursday cup games become slightly more important as public practice matches.
That said, if he ain't here this week he ain't coming - nor is anybody else until after Christmas or even June.

As I have already stated on another thread, our biggest problem at the moment is that our best player seems to be Niasse, and he is [Poor language removed]!!!!

'Only 3pts from 8th' and; 'surely it's only a matter of time' those sentiments could also be seen as the cry of an over optimistic, head in the sand, mediocrity acceptor...not that i imply you are.

So lets see how Unsworth does after say the 9 league games that Koeman had. This brings us to Swansea at home 16th Dec. It includes the derby, but not the thursday cup, which are frankly somewhat irrelevant now.
At the moment 4pts from 3 games is a slight improvement.
Obvs, if Silva comes in all bets are off and the thursday cup games become slightly more important as public practice matches.
That said, if he ain't here this week he ain't coming - nor is anybody else until after Christmas or even June.
So basically we're totally screwed and anyone who doesnt accept that is a dreamer whose burying their head.

was out all day Saturday so didn't manage to watch the full game just the highlights on MOTD, apart from the goals did we create much? didn't show much on MOTD and the comments during the match in here seemed like we were crud again

who played well & who played badly etc etc

I think Saturday was enough for me to conclude that no manager in world football would get this team clicking before January.

In hindsight the Lookman/Lennon setup in the first half didn't work and Morgan was poo, but having that benefit aside I thought Unsworth picked a decent XI. The problem is that there are too many players who are still completely shot of confidence and are merely passengers - no one outside of Oumar Niasse has much fire in their belly and it's crap to see. If Unsworth can't inject a bit of positivity and motivation into the players then who can at this point?

I've said it before, but January will be MASSIVE for us - the board 100% need to be on the button non-stop from the first to the last second of the month to get priority areas on the pitch addressed.. otherwise we're in trouble.

So basically we're totally screwed and anyone who doesnt accept that is a dreamer whose burying their head.
No, we'll just have to write off this season, saving a good cup run...until the powers tht be sort it out, all the while remembering we're 3pts off 18th too - 1 loss by us, one in win by who ever...it's that close at the moment

No, we'll just have to write off this season, saving a good cup run...until the powers tht be sort it out, all the while remembering we're 3pts off 18th too - 1 loss by us, one in win by who ever...it's that close at the moment
In fairness Degsy, neither myself or the original poster has said anything different. One talked about 28 from 26 to reach safety, and I said with the players we have it's surely only a matter of time before we string a couple of performances together. Not one of our senior players (maybe Lennon apart) has played anywhere near their best this season.

Nowhere have I said we can still challenge the top 6. I agree that's fantasy because the gulf between us in quality is huge. But the fact is, at the time of my post, we were just 3 points off 8th and finishing around that position in the table is not beyond us, and I don't consider that to be too over optimistic or burying my head in the sand. Neither do I consider an 8th place finish to be acceptable because we'll probably be close to 30 points off the top 6. And neither do I accept mediocrity and I bemoaned our continued lack of quality in my original post. Maybe you felt that my comments on it being a hard earned draw at Palace implied I accept mediocrity. But in my opinion they are one of the in form teams and recent performances bely their position in the league. They deservedly beat Chelsea and also deserved to take maximum points from their last 3 games against Newcastle, West Ham and Spurs. In Zaha they have one of the best and most exciting players in the Premier. I'd have taken a point before the game started, I'd just rather we'd played with more quality.

I agree that the our season can go either way at the moment, and it will take an upturn in performance levels to move away from the relegation zone. But I refuse to throw in the towel with 26 games to go like some of our fans have.

In fairness Degsy, neither myself or the original poster has said anything different. One talked about 28 from 26 to reach safety, and I said with the players we have it's surely only a matter of time before we string a couple of performances together. Not one of our senior players (maybe Lennon apart) has played anywhere near their best this season.

Nowhere have I said we can still challenge the top 6. I agree that's fantasy because the gulf between us in quality is huge. But the fact is, at the time of my post, we were just 3 points off 8th and finishing around that position in the table is not beyond us, and I don't consider that to be too over optimistic or burying my head in the sand. Neither do I consider an 8th place finish to be acceptable because we'll probably be close to 30 points off the top 6. And neither do I accept mediocrity and I bemoaned our continued lack of quality in my original post. Maybe you felt that my comments on it being a hard earned draw at Palace implied I accept mediocrity. But in my opinion they are one of the in form teams and recent performances bely their position in the league. They deservedly beat Chelsea and also deserved to take maximum points from their last 3 games against Newcastle, West Ham and Spurs. In Zaha they have one of the best and most exciting players in the Premier. I'd have taken a point before the game started, I'd just rather we'd played with more quality.

I agree that the our season can go either way at the moment, and it will take an upturn in performance levels to move away from the relegation zone. But I refuse to throw in the towel with 26 games to go like some of our fans have.
Seems we're still on the same side then

Surely it's only a matter of time before we put together a decent run of performances.

We'll have to put in one decent performance before we can dream of a decent run. But we aren't likely to do even that with this squad.

We need some new players. Who would you like to see here? And who do you think will be willing to come in January?

We'll have to put in one decent performance before we can dream of a decent run. But we aren't likely to do even that with this squad.

We need some new players. Who would you like to see here? And who do you think will be willing to come in January?
We badly need a goal scoring striker who can also lead the line. We also badly need another CB, preferably left sided. But I refuse to believe that this group of players we have now are incapable of putting together a run of 3/4 games where we play with more quality. Every one of the senior players is under performing with the possible exception of Lennon who, lets face it, has a pretty low ceiling anyway. Sorry, forgot about Niasse who is probably performing at the absolute peak of his ability. We have been relying far too much on our young players who are understandably inconsistent, but at least they are not shirking and are having a go.

We have a decent run of games coming up against other struggling teams and if we can find a better balance and 2 or 3 of the senior players find some form, I'm hoping the team can put a run together and find some confidence. I can see us reasonably comfortable higher mid table by end of the year, maybe 8/9th. Not saying that's acceptable by the way. Far from it. But if our injured players come back unscathed, and Barkley decides to stay, I don't think we're a million miles away.

Hopefully we'll have Barkley, Coleman and Bolasie all back by the new year. Assuming they come back in form and with no hangovers from their injuries, I would say that the striker and LCB need to be our priority. At CB I'd go for Danny Blind who can't be happy with his lack of game time in the PL. Experienced and versatile and hopefully available. Striker is a different issue. We miss a hold up player at the moment, but it depends who we bring in as manager and the type of game he prefers to play. I suspect we will have more need for somebody who can play the expansive game and stretch defences, somebody pacey like Vardey or of that ilk. May need to look abroad for that player as I don't see anybody in the UK who would be available. Possibly Dembele of Celtic but that's bringing in another young payer. Possibly Giroud could still do a turn for us if he was available but this would be in addition to a pacey striker which I think will be the priority. Further down the line (summer) we need a cover at left back and also replace Barry as I now feel Schneids has far too many poor games. Wouldn't mind seeing Carvalho in that role and possibly Tierney for left back. We also need to thin out the squad. Time for Mirallas to go. We don't need all 3 of Rooney, Siggy and Klaassen so at least one of those need to go. McCarthy and Besic are too injury prone and I'd also offload Schneids if we brought Carvalho in. Both Williams and Jags need to go. I'll give Funes Mori a stay of execution for now and see how he comes back from his injury. Other's I'd lose would be Martina, Stek, Lennon plus at least half dozen younger players such as Galloway etc. Whilst I donlt see Niasse as good enough for us going forward, I'm reluctant to let him go for some reason.

That would give us a very young and exciting squad of

Keepers. Pickford, Robles

Full Backs. Coleman, Kenny, Baines, Tierney

Centre backs. Keane, Blind, Holgate, Fumes Mori

Centre Mid. Carvalho. Gana, Davies, Beni, Walsh

Attacking mid/wingers. Barkley, Siggy, Bolasie, Vlasic, Lookman, Dowell

Strikers. Dembele, Giroud, DCL, Niasse, Sandro

If there was one player I would add to that squad it would be Zaha but I can't see it happening.

That squad needs a manager who isn't afraid to play youth and has a dynamic open style. First choice would be Tuchel although I accept that is just a pipe dream at the moment. I wouldn't be adverse to Silva though. I like what I've seen of him so far.

Last edited:
I gave it to Lennon, thought he worked hard and defended well.

Sneids shouldn't start again. His effort is appalling. Not sure if he has been carrying an injury all season or not, but his level has really dropped.
Davies should go back to the U23. He is a red card waiting to happen. no composure, rash tackles, just runs like a headless chicken. Beni has looked a couple of levels above him in each of his games so far, way more composed.
Lookman also needs dropping. he has a couple of attacking runs each game, but usually ends in nothing as he can't cross. He is non existant in defense and gives away too many fouls.

Centre back and a striker in January are the top priorities. 2 centre backs maybe!

But without a sharp upturn in performance, we won't be a very attractive proposition to any of these better players.

I'm not confident of an improvement in form, or the signings that we need to build a greatly improved team. So I expect that we will continue to have a very difficult season.

Status
Not open for further replies.