Match Thread Crystal Palace 0-0 Everton, Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We were very unlucky not to score today but equally were pretty lucky not to concede.

We just seem to need too many chances and need to start taking more if we want to win more often away from home.

Siguurdson and Coleman chances are both huge opportunities so to take neither is pretty frustrating.

On reflection, not a horrific result. I think that Iwobi will add something to us definitely. Some great goal line clearances from Palace in fairness today, my main concern would be our midfield depth

Has anyone said the season is over already yet?

giphy.gif

For those that doubt Pickford - that's why we have ourselves a good keeper. There were a lot of games where Howard etc did the opposite of today. Facing one or two real chances when we were the slightly better team but couldn't really push in front, but instead of making decisive saves, he would flap at one.

JP once again doing what we need him to do. Didn't think Howard was awful either, before people get on at me - just didn't think he was a top level GK.

On reflection, not a horrific result. I think that Iwobi will add something to us definitely. Some great goal line clearances from Palace in fairness today, my main concern would be our midfield depth
Our midfield has all the depth of the rain on a slightly damp pavement.
All the same criticisms of DCL will now land on Kean's shoulders. While missing the point that Both will have (if nothing changes) nobody near them in support and the lack of decent chances coming from mid field.

Sigurdsson puts in 4 or 5 decent games a season, Schneiderlin None at all! The Reff did us a favour in making him miss the next 3...well I hope its 3...make that 33.
Gbamin; well early days yet, but he looks seriously off the pace and underdone atm.

I'd like to see Bernard in a more central role...I'd also like katy perry to sit on my face, I'm not sure which is more likely to happen though, both are up there along with Silva solving all our problems by the Watford game.

Positives
Controlled most of the game, created a lot of great chances.
1 point away with 10 men, could be worse..
Big Yerry and Keane looked the deal
JP looked calm and collected in goal, no fist bumps or anything!
DCL was his usual handful up front, held the ball well and opened up space for the others to miss their chances.
Gomes for me is one of the bargains of the transfer window, needs to stay fit!
I thought Davies did a good job when we were down to 10, nothing spectacular but disrupted their play quite a bit. Hoping he can step up a bit this year.

Negatives
Day to forget for Iceland.. we’ll leave it at that.
Not the best debut for JPG, thrown into the deep end and appeared to lose confidence after some early mistakes. Needs a lot more time.
Schneids is no Gana... the amount of times Gueye could pick up an early yellow and I was never worried he would get a red.

Random thought
I wish we had splurged for Zaha. Even jaded and with little support he looked a cut above.

Am I the only one who is positive after today?

Dominated the first hour. Three off the line.
Controlled the game.
I thought it was good but not great. Not unlike the Selhurst game in April. Hopefully the new attackers can add something that allows us to break down teams when we have a solid amount of the ball.

Without wanting to sound like Klopp, I think the wind played a major factor yesterday. You could see that we were wanting to switch the ball from side to side, but the wind just made it too difficult to do it with any accuracy.
Losing Gomes was a major change in our play and ending up with 10 players also affected how we played.

I will wait until I see a couple more games before I start making judgement.

Thought we slightly edged what was a usually difficult game to watch away to Palace. Pleased with Pickford made 2/3 decent saves in the second half and the defence for keeping clean sheet. We didn’t create that much but with the chances we had were more than enough to come away with the 3points.

Gbamin will be a bit rusty but only way he’ll get through that is by playing so he will only improve in the coming weeks.

We can’t afford to drop too many points from these first 6 games so in that sense the result is a bit disappointing but once we went down to 10 men I didn’t think Palace changed much and the game was very much there for the taking.

Schneiderlins petulance with that first yellow card punching the ground proved costly when their midfielder started rolling around it was so easy for Moss to get his cards out again for the second one. That’s the problem with our players we’re too nice and need to be a bit more snide.

I don’t know what Gomes went off injured with but added to Schnielderlin and Delph we’re going to be very light in central midfield next week.

The problem we had in this game and we’ll have the same problem again and again if the personnel remain the same, is we have zero goal threat from 2 of our 3 attacking players.

You’re not getting goals from either DCL OR Bernard, so that puts an awful lot of pressure on Richarlison and Sigurdsson to produce an end product.

You just can’t have 2 of your attacking players with next to no goal threat.

Iwobi hasn’t even trained yet, but for me he goes straight in. You’ve got to start against Watford with a front 3 or Kean, Iwobi and Richarlison.

The quicker that happens the quicker they’ll start to gel. Start them next Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.