Could this be 94/95 the sequel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LydiateLee

Player Valuation: £8m
Those old enough will remember how bad things were at the start of that season right up until the Duncan derby in November.

Things were bad, REALLY bad, we had an awful side full then. It just took a spark in the form of Joe Royle and Duncan to lift the place, the fans most importantly.

We are stale now. But who knows, there could be something around the corner because these things happen often when you least expect it.

We ended the season with the FA Cup and started the next with Andrei Kanchelskis in our side.

Sorry, just trying to be optimistic. I hate Gareth Barry.

Those old enough will remember how bad things were at the start of that season right up until the Duncan derby in November.

Things were bad, REALLY bad, we had an awful side full then. It just took a spark in the form of Joe Royle and Duncan to lift the place, the fans most importantly.

We are stale now. But who knows, there could be something around the corner because these things happen often when you least expect it.

We ended the season with the FA Cup and started the next with Andrei Kanchelskis in our side.

Sorry, just trying to be optimistic. I hate Gareth Barry.
The last time I thought there could be something around the corner we signed Kone.

If Roberto went and took Barry and Howard with him, any competent manager could take this squad and have us pushing top 4 and decent cup runs again. That is what I am hoping for. What I expect to happen is that we'll struggle through finishing about 10th which the board will accept and Roberto will get a new contract giving him the chance to shape the squad how he wants with the Stones/Barkley/Lukaku money.

If Roberto went and took Barry and Howard with him, any competent manager could take this squad and have us pushing top 4 and decent cup runs again. That is what I am hoping for. What I expect to happen is that we'll struggle through finishing about 10th which the board will accept and Roberto will get a new contract giving him the chance to shape the squad how he wants with the Stones/Barkley/Lukaku money.
Rubbish. Utter rubbish.
Any manager is going to need a very good season to have a chance at denting the top six given the amount of money they can throw at players.

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.
Any manager is going to need a very good season to have a chance at denting the top six given the amount of money they can throw at players.

Really? Moyes used to get into the top 6 on a negative net spend with the likes of Neville in midfield and Anichebe up front. You honestly think a manager couldn't settle our defence, get Barkley and Mirallas creating and Lulaku scoring? United and Liverpool where all over the show last season, could have pushed fourth there easily. Spurs flake out most seasons. There is an aura around the top 6 purely because of money but Spurs don't have a better squad than us, they just have a better manager. Same was true of Liverpool last season when Rodgers took a rubbish defence and a forward line of Lambert Borini and Balotelli to a top 4 challenge. A half decent manager would have this team in the conversation. 7th should be the minimum we tolerate, but we should be looking to finish ahead of at least one of the top 6 every year. Why? Because we have for quite a good few years in recent times money or no money.

Really? Moyes used to get into the top 6 on a negative net spend with the likes of Neville in midfield and Anichebe up front. You honestly think a manager couldn't settle our defence, get Barkley and Mirallas creating and Lulaku scoring? United and Liverpool where all over the show last season, could have pushed fourth there easily. Spurs flake out most seasons. There is an aura around the top 6 purely because of money but Spurs don't have a better squad than us, they just have a better manager. Same was true of Liverpool last season when Rodgers took a rubbish defence and a forward line of Lambert Borini and Balotelli to a top 4 challenge. A half decent manager would have this team in the conversation. 7th should be the minimum we tolerate, but we should be looking to finish ahead of at least one of the top 6 every year. Why? Because we have for quite a good few years in recent times money or no money.

2 years ago we were an unknown entity with a new manager with fresh ideas working with an inherited squad. We had our best league season since we last won the league, breaking all kinds of records including beating Utd home and away and finished with a points tally that would more often than not have seen us finish in the top 4, possibly even top 3.

But we finished 5th.

That's how difficult it is to break into the top 4. To do it, we need a combination of luck, more record breaking and consistency very difficult to achieve with a relatively small squad due to financial constraints.

We need more than a competent manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.