Confirmed Signing Conor Coady

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a world of difference between these type of signings vs what we've been doing for years. Think he's trying to make a point that just isn't there.

If we had only signed these players and nothing else then I could understand some concern.
These are all players that can play into thier mid 30's. Solid and dependable with loads of experience, that can help the younger lads. Its when you try and buy attacking players that are getting on you have a problem. They rely more on speed and their ankles and knees are more likely to have problems due to all the twisting and turning.

….I have no doubt they’d bite anybody’s hand off if offers came in for Mina, Holgate or Keane. As you say, there are options for Mykolenko and Coleman to play in a three & let’s not forget young Reece Welsh who must be rated by Lampard given he’s often on the bench.

Our chance to sell Mina has gone now. He's injured and won't be fit inside 3 weeks.

I would happily sell either or both of Keane and Holgate but I doubt the manager sees it that way after the two injuries. You probably need 4 or 5 centre backs when you play the back 3 system. We currently have 4 with Coady coming in so I'd be very surprised to see a sale.

Our chance to sell Mina has gone now. He's injured and won't be fit inside 3 weeks.

I would happily sell either or both of Keane and Holgate but I doubt the manager sees it that way after the two injuries. You probably need 4 or 5 centre backs when you play the back 3 system. We currently have 4 with Coady coming in so I'd be very surprised to see a sale.

….I think you’re right about Mina, and even if he was fit I get the impression he wants to run his contract down. Disagree on the others, though. If an offer came in for either, I think it would be gratefully considered.

Resale value klaxon!!!

He has a point.

But I guarantee in summer 2023 it’ll be easier for everton to try and sell one of the players above than it’ll be for them to try to sell the idea of championship football to the fans.

We need a solid defence and a central midfield that offers cover. The new players we’ve brought in do that.

We also need players who can keep the ball, players who create chances and players who can score goals.

Basically we finished last season as a total mess and due to our high wages/FFP rules it’s difficult for us to solve any of our problems.

We’re giving it a go though and I’m hopeful about this season. Fingers crossed for some effective signings.

I couldn't care less if they go for free in a few years, if we actually start winning.

We'd probably make the money back in league position improvements!
That's the key, and is literally what the bloke is saying in that tweet. If these signings get us European football and a platform to push on from then they will have been good value, if they keep us treading water in the bottom half and then go on a free, leaving us scratching round trying to do the same type of deals again in a couple of years time then they won't. So as he says, they need to deliver for us.

That's the key, and is literally what the bloke is saying in that tweet. If these signings get us European football and a platform to push on from then they will have been good value, if they keep us treading water in the bottom half and then go on a free, leaving us scratching round trying to do the same type of deals again in a couple of years time then they won't. So as he says, they need to deliver for us.
Even if they keep us treading water in this league, that will give us a more stable financial position than if we didn't sign them and went down.

All well and good signing players with sell on value but A) they are massively overpriced already and we are not in a position to do that at the moment. And B) they are more risky as they usually don't have the experience and we need some experience and leadership right now.

I'd hope we have thought about relegation clauses in current signings contracts so if it did go wrong, we aren't stuck with huge wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.