Collina Masterclass SKY Sports 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11671/2354766/collina-explains-dunc-decision

Pierluigi Collina has explained why he controversially disallowed Duncan Ferguson's 'goal' for Everton in their UEFA Champions League qualifier with Villarreal.

The Italian official was in England attending the Make a Dream charity function at Leeds United's Elland Road and discussed a number of topics.

When the subject of his final top game as a referee was raised, Collina was adamant that he made the right decision to award a foul against Ferguson's strike partner Marcus Bent.

Everton felt the decision, last August, cost them their chance to get back into the tie and, ultimately, a lucrative place in the group stages of the competition.

"It was because I've seen a foul made by another player - Bent," revealed Collina.

"Away from the ball, during a free kick or corner kick, in the penalty box, there are several couples of players. The referee cannot follow all of them but your attention is on some of the players.

"Sometimes you can see things happen as well as you cannot see at other times. If you're looking at another couple of players, you're not able to see the other part of the box.

"At that time, I was looking at those players - Bent and his Spanish opponent, and I've seen something that probably television didn't show.

"Clearly, Duncan Ferguson didn't make any foul but I didn't punish him for a foul. I punished Bent's foul."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4194784.stm

The 45-year-old had been accused by the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) of a conflict of interest after accepting a sponsorship deal.

Opel, who also sponsor AC Milan, were to pay Collina £545,000 per year and the FIGC told Collina he would only be able to referee second division games.

"After 28 years I've decided to hand in my resignation," said Collina.

"People must believe in a referee. In the end, we have all lost out."

"I have slept less these last few nights than on the eve of the World Cup final.

"For me it wouldn't have been a problem to referee in Serie B, but either they (the FIGC) have faith in us referees or they don't.

"If they don't, then we have to go. Without trust we cannot move forward."

Collina, who has been voted the world's best referee five times, took charge of the 2002 World Cup final between Brazil and Germany.

He was due to retire in the summer but the Italian football association extended the maximum age for referees to 46 to accommodate him for a further year.

Collina will replaced for the 2006 World Cup qualifier between Spain and Serbia and Montenegro on 7 September by England's Graham Poll.

So he saw something that the tv camera's didnt pick up?........how convenient for him. Sound like a right crock of [Poor language removed] to me

"Pierluigi do you feel you retired from refereeing Italian football at the right time seeing as 6 months later the Juve penalty fiasco began to come to light?"

Commentator ''Well it was almost delayed reaction because the referee blew his whistle and pointed towards the halfway line, then seemed to have second thoughts.''

Yeah that's right - ask an Italian referee to explain refereeing 'cos we can always trust them to be honest, upright citizens can't we? Next week: Graeme Poll and Clive Thomas with special guest star Mr Honesty himself: Mark Clattenburg.

Status
Not open for further replies.