Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn'y play at right back until Southampton, the 6th Prem game of the season. Neville was in midfield and Hibbert was not even on the bench so presumbably injured after playing rb early on in the season.

He then played till Norwich at the end of November with neithr Hibbert or Neville available to play at rb.

From then on its basically been whoever has actually been fit has played. Hibbert has barely been seen and Neville has spent most of his time in midfield.

Coleman really has shown enough that the place should be his regardless but his run there only came more than likely because of the unavialability of Neville and Hibbert.

He played at right back against Swansea

....I still have concerns about Coleman's degensive capability. He's fine going forward in the top third of the pitch but I like defenders who anticipate danger and die for the cause. Against top opposition I still put him behind Neville and Hibbert. Indeed, I'm expecting Stone's to overtake them all.

....I still have concerns about Coleman's degensive capability. He's fine going forward in the top third of the pitch but I like defenders who anticipate danger and die for the cause. Against top opposition I still put him behind Neville and Hibbert. Indeed, I'm expecting Stone's to overtake them all.

Did you actually watch the match ? He was all over the pitch today and easily our best defender.

He played at right back against Swansea

I would say you're wrong and the OS said he played right mid with Neville at rb (as it does) but if you look at the Reading away game it shows Vellios in centre mid with Osman!

Fair do's but its still only Prem game earlier and the point still stands that he didn't start the season as right back and only got a run of games there once Hibbert was injured and Neville was being used in midfield.

But he got the run, started off looking defensively inexperienced, but with games he improved. If Hibbert had been fit and Coleman dropped back to the bench after his mistake against Fulham for the equaliser(for example) its highly possible he wouldn't have gained the experience that improved him.

I would say you're wrong and the OS said he played right mid with Neville at rb (as it does) but if you look at the Reading away game it shows Vellios in centre mid with Osman!

Fair do's but its still only Prem game earlier and the point still stands that he didn't start the season as right back and only got a run of games there once Hibbert was injured and Neville was being used in midfield.

But he got the run, started off looking defensively inexperienced, but with games he improved. If Hibbert had been fit and Coleman dropped back to the bench after his mistake against Fulham for the equaliser(for example) its highly possible he wouldn't have gained the experience that improved him.

You could be right tbh.

Seriously, find out how mnay games he's played at rb this season, especially first half before he did establish himself that he played whilst either Hibbert or Neville were fully fit and not in midfield.

I bet its not many at all.

OK he didn't start the first few games (seems ages ago), but when he came in against Swansea he established himself in the position until his injury. Yes I know Neville was in midfield for most of those games but I don't think you can say that Coleman wouldn't have played if Neville didn't have to cover in midfield for Gibson's absence. Suppose we'll never know. But I can't believe Hibbo would have started instead of him if he had been available - he's a squad player now.

Did you actually watch the match ? He was all over the pitch today and easily our best defender.

...I did watch the match and he was fine but I also saw Reading and Fulham away where we needed to shut up shop and the lad let us down. Judge him in a back to the wall game. If he comes through a few games where he stars and we are under the cosh, thats when he'll get my trust.

Nah, I think against top quality opposition you have to get them going the other way - playing Hibbert/Neville just invites them onto us.

I think you're right about Coleman being still cause for concern defensively though. He still gets sucked under the ball a bit when a ball is played out wide and over him, and he's fortunate we have CBs who get over very smartly to cover for him/double up with him when he's out of position/facing pace. That said, his defensive play looks much more composed of late.

...I did watch the match and he was fine but I also saw Reading and Fulham away where we needed to shut up shop and the lad let us down. Judge him in a back to the wall game. If he comes through a few games where he stars and we are under the cosh, thats when he'll get my trust.

Don't know if that's fair tbh, you have to look at the overall package. He gives us an attacking dimension on the right that we haven't had for years.

Don't know if that's fair tbh, you have to look at the overall package. He gives us an attacking dimension on the right that we haven't had for years.

....agree with the sentiment and I note that we've become far too reliant on the Baines/Pienaar link. Encouraging that the last few games we've created more chances from the right, but my concern remains about his defensive quality. I suppose its a matter of pro's and con's and I prefer the balance to be defensively strong. I suspect and hope that young Stone will be the real deal from all perspectives.

Coleman was very good today and Everton's outstanding player. He is great going forward but not so good on the back foot I reckon.

I think he's quality. If you watch how he actually plays close up, it's the ultimate Ireland.

He does the riverdance down the wing.

It's like Damien Duff playing Gaelic football. You can imagine him playing three and in against his dog in Killybegs. Ya ****in wee [Poor language removed] Fiddy thru me legs every time whatcha doin.

I have said for ages, he needs to make the mistakes if he is to become a full-back.
He has made some.

He will have to make some more.. but the reward will be good in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.