Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
If football has to be played behind closed doors then the game as we know it is dead and buried

definitely - but the grim reality is life as we know it might change for good. There could be a scenario where stadiums don't get used in the medium - long term; football for sure would be very very different & damaged, but I dont think it will stop

Why can’t we just start the 2020/21 season when it is safe to do so and the football calendar isn’t messed about any further?

We can, and that may be the route this all takes.

I've simply maintained since day one that, if possible, resuming will be the preference for the majority of clubs, fans, players and authorities because it minimises disruption, is in keeping with the spirit of the game and avoids the potential legal consequences of the authorities making unprecedented decisions based on an incomplete table. They obviously don't want to do that and I can understand why.

It may be that they reach a point where re-starting the season is the only viable alternative. But the only real benefit to doing that is ensuring the future Football calendar remains somewhat intact. And there's no real value attached to that other than "I don't like change - I like my Footy Aug-May and I like my World Cups in the summer etc'.

If you put that consequence (of shifting the traditional Football calendar) alongside the potential loss of actual Football clubs, thousands of jobs, millions of pounds etc, it sort've pales into insignificance.

So if we can't start a-fresh in August, do we cancel next season too? Presumably all that achieves is keeping to the Aug-May calendar that appears to be so sought after by many on here.

So we skip a season and a half of Football and resume in August 2021, despite it possibly being safe to play Football circa 9-12 months prior.

Can't see that catching on, for obvious reasons, mate.

What aspect of what I'm suggesting is the most likely outcome of all this (pausing the Football calendar) risks the health of anyone, red, blue or otherwise?
Try sticking the hairs you've just split back together and you'll find your answer.

Try sticking the hairs you've just split back together and you'll find your answer.

It's OK not to be able to back up your original claim, mate. If you can't answer the question, just say so. You don't have to resort to name-calling, you're better than that.

How can you say that with a straight face?!

It's more complex to simply pause the Football calendar and reschedule events further down the line (once it's safe for Football to return) than to

void an entire season that is 75% complete and:
- either relegate / promote / award teams as they are now based on 28/29 games (not fair or what was agreed to)
- or award based on a points per game basis. (not fair or what was agreed to)
- or not award at all and restart the current season as 'next season' (not fair, or what was agreed to).
- return tv money that's already been paid
- return sponsorship money that's already been paid
- return season ticket money that's already been paid.
- risk the future of Football clubs up and down the country.

You argue it's more complex to do the former than the latter? Get real, Mike.

Of course it's more complex to re-start and have to adjust the calendars. I mean voiding a season is very simple. There are consequences, but it's very simple. You know you'll have to pay back 1/4 of the revenues to TV (and probably sponsors) but it starts again.

Starting to play games, outside of the schedule, impacting upon future tournaments, future seasons, potentially fundamentally altering the football calendar which has worked for 140+ years. Inputting national and international broadcasters, who have slots they are happy to fill football in and have built audience engagement is going to be a lot more complex. Nobody has really even started the conversation about re-altering several seasons, but that is an exceptionally complex arrangements.

You talk of sponsors too, who is sponsoring Liverpools shirts if they lift the title? The New Balance agreement is for this season, but ends at the end of June? That is a major, complex minefield, which is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to re-altering.

I know people say about the World Cup, but this was a process, that has taken years to agree too, with associations very reluctant and affects 1 season. Trying to alter multiple seasons, in a space of weeks, with relegation at stake and a pandemic raging is going to be a lot lot harder.

I can fully understand people saying it's less ethical, or less fair. Thats a different debate and worthwhile one. However re-altering entire seasons in the space of weeks, with multiple competing interests is going to be highly complex. With each solution will come 2 more problems.

We can, and that may be the route this all takes.

I've simply maintained since day one that, if possible, resuming will be the preference for the majority of clubs, fans, players and authorities because it minimises disruption, is in keeping with the spirit of the game and avoids the potential legal consequences of the authorities making unprecedented decisions based on an incomplete table. They obviously don't want to do that and I can understand why.

It may be that they reach a point where re-starting the season is the only viable alternative. But the only real benefit to doing that is ensuring the future Football calendar remains somewhat intact. And there's no real value attached to that other than "I don't like change - I like my Footy Aug-May and I like my World Cups in the summer etc'.

If you put that consequence (of shifting the traditional Football calendar) alongside the potential loss of actual Football clubs, thousands of jobs, millions of pounds etc, it sort've pales into insignificance.

No one is mentioning “August-May” here, absolutely not a single person other than you. Stop going on about it.

New york times - Tariq Panja:

"Uefa meeting taking place today. Looks like no national team football until September. Virus permitting (big if) club football behind closed doors - almost certainly - July and August. But, as long as the virus is in control, all of this remains up in the air. "

This is a big problem for the PL. Essentially it's UEFA saying that they will want to continue the CL and EL. That is only going to delay potential finishing further.

At some point we are going to have to acknowledge what the real debate is. We either play 1/4 of this season, or we play it from start to finish. They are increasingly looking like the options. For most clubs, in fact I'd say all clubs, financially starting the season afresh will be the financially more prudent option. For a small handful of clubs they may lose out, and of that group a few may say they lose out so much that it's worth the sacrifice for them. I don't think it's worth the sacrifice for football though.

Ha ha ye because you know this.

who said it was the end of football? Nope just this season

Let me guess the poster with a name somewhere between 3 and 5 is still around? Bang him on ignore, it’ll do wonders for your blood pressure, and denies him the attention he seems to crave!

It's OK not to be able to back up your original claim, mate. If you can't answer the question, just say so. You don't have to resort to name-calling, you're better than that.
Name calling, what bad name have I called you, hair spliter could be construed as a name but hair splitting can't. Dear me more invention

Of course it's more complex to re-start and have to adjust the calendars. I mean voiding a season is very simple. There are consequences, but it's very simple. You know you'll have to pay back 1/4 of the revenues to TV (and probably sponsors) but it starts again.

Starting to play games, outside of the schedule, impacting upon future tournaments, future seasons, potentially fundamentally altering the football calendar which has worked for 140+ years. Inputting national and international broadcasters, who have slots they are happy to fill football in and have built audience engagement is going to be a lot more complex. Nobody has really even started the conversation about re-altering several seasons, but that is an exceptionally complex arrangements.

You talk of sponsors too, who is sponsoring Liverpools shirts if they lift the title? The New Balance agreement is for this season, but ends at the end of June? That is a major, complex minefield, which is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to re-altering.

I know people say about the World Cup, but this was a process, that has taken years to agree too, with associations very reluctant and affects 1 season. Trying to alter multiple seasons, in a space of weeks, with relegation at stake and a pandemic raging is going to be a lot lot harder.

I can fully understand people saying it's less ethical, or less fair. Thats a different debate and worthwhile one. However re-altering entire seasons in the space of weeks, with multiple competing interests is going to be highly complex. With each solution will come 2 more problems.

This last bit is probably true whatever the outcome, whether it's resumed or voided.

I agree with a lot of what you say here, but I can't agree that reshuffling calendars due to an unforeseen international crisis (therefore not up for debate) is harder than having to void a season and all of the legal, financial and ethical consequences that come with that, as you mentioned. It's essentially a scheduling issue (something which they'd already committed to with the World Cup) vs totally unchartered waters.

Reference Liverpools shirts, it was on The Athletic the other week that Nike have agreed to let them continue with New Balance until the start of next season, whenever that will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.