Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said, and have repeatedly said, Football should only resume when the authorities say it's safe to do so.

When it's safe to do so, is for nobody but Chris Whitty and co to decide.

If it helps you sleep at night to think I'm some inhuman monster who doesn't appreciate the value of life, Mike, that's fine.

You specifically said not too long ago in this very thread, that you'd be happy to resume playing in June if the death rate has flattened. You used the word flattened.

You specifically said not too long ago in this very thread, that you'd be happy to play in June if the death rate has flattened. You used the word flattened.

Yeah, if I was a Footballer, and the rate of infections and deaths had flattened out, eased off, reduced, and the virus showed sufficient signs of slowing and the authorities said they're confident it can be managed and it's safe to play Football again, then I'd be happy to play Football whenever that time was.

Till the relevant authorities give that signal, then it's obvious we won't be playing any Football.

Yeah, if I was a Footballer, and the rate of infections and deaths had flattened out, eased off, reduced, and the virus showed sufficient signs of slowing and the authorities said they're confident it can be managed and it's safe to play Football again, then I'd be happy to play Football whenever that time was.

Till the relevant authorities give that signal, then it's obvious we won't be playing any Football.

That's not what flattening means, and not what you said.

Yes you'd think it any Spurs player has anything about him, amazed Son hasn't paid them all himself as he's made out to be done kind of Saint at Spurs. :)
He certainly probably had a cry about it and Seamus can't console him due to the whole social isolation thing.

Your entire argument is that this season has to finish before next season starts, which will affect many seasons going forward, rather than ending this season now and only affecting one season.

My entire argument is football has changed for the next few seasons no matter what happens & the argument that voiding now only impacts this season is folly, every solution is messy. Off the top of my head...

Void this season.....
- Legal challenges on relegation, Promotion, Europe which could drive delays and pausing the game
- Legal challenges around what a new season should look like - 2019 results or Points per game solution etc
- what does next season actually look like?
- Impact of loss of TV money, legal delays as a result, risk of a broadcast blackout?
- Further challenges - refunds on season tickets, gambling, tv subscriptions
- impact on Fans; does voiding simply disenfranchise matchgoing fans long term & devalue to the quality of the premier league
- If PL voids and the others play out, what's the long term impact on European football and the likelyhood of a Superleague/ breakaway league happening

Finish the season
- How long does it drag on?
- What happens in terms of player contracts & the free agent market
- does completion cause civil anger towards football if they complete season when things are safe, but none the less on the back of a global disaster
- What is the impact on the longer term. Does it take 3 years to catch up & get back to the cadence of a regular season
- If the PL acts alone; what does that mean for the brand & the cadence with other European leagues
- Does behind closed doors football kill the game & put fans off for like

Either way
- Do they void future seasons if there is further waves of Covid-19
- Changes to the August - May now inevitable, more international games to catch-up on already
- Is Behind closed doors a solution either way if safe to do so for everyone involved.

The one thing everyone is in agreement on is the idea of the "Walled camps" is absolute nonsense and will never happen, but when you look at all of the above, there is no simple solution.

My personal take on it is that football will not get back to the "regular seasons" for a few years & I expect there to be many delays and changes to the way we all live our lives, with frequent suspensions of large gatherings becoming the norm for the next few years. With that in mind, my vote would be when it is safe to play, play the next game in the schedule and continue in that fashion. The worst outcome for football here would be to void this season, start another one and then have to void that as well.

Again, just my opinion, it most likely will end up voided and if that's the decision that's the decision, but it undoubtedly comes with complications.

PS - excuse the typo's and spelling errors

My entire argument is football has changed for the next few seasons no matter what happens & the argument that voiding now only impacts this season is folly, every solution is messy. Off the top of my head...

Void this season.....
- Legal challenges on relegation, Promotion, Europe which could drive delays and pausing the game
- Legal challenges around what a new season should look like - 2019 results or Points per game solution etc
- Impact of loss of TV money, legal delays as a result, risk of a broadcast blackout?
- impact on Fans; does voiding simply disenfranchise matchgoing fans long term & devalue to the quality of the premier league
- If PL voids and the others play out, what's the long term impact on European football and the likelyhood of a Superleague/ breakaway league happening

Finish the season
- does completion cause civil anger towards football if they complete season when things are safe, but none the less on the back of a global disaster
- What is the impact on the longer term. Does it take 3 years to catch up & get back to the cadence of a regular season
- If the PL acts alone; what does that mean for the brand & the cadence with other European leagues

Either way
- Changes to the August - May now inevitable, more international games to catch-up on already
- Is Behind closed doors a solution either way if safe to do so for everyone involved.

The one thing everyone is in agreement on is the idea of the "Walled camps" is absolute nonsense and will never happen, but when you look at all of the above, there is no simple solution.

My personal take on it is that football will not get back to the "regular seasons" for a few years & I expect there to be many delays and changes to the way we all live our lives, with frequent suspensions of large gatherings becoming the norm for the next few years. With that in mind, my vote would be when it is safe to play, play the next game in the schedule and continue in that fashion. The worst outcome for football here would be to void this season, start another one and then have to void that as well.

Again, just my opinion, it most likely will end up voided and if that's the decision that's the decision, but it undoubtedly comes with complications.

Are you a @Keiran multi? It's like a turgid tag team in here.

Void this season.....

Finish the season

Either way

YAWN

Void this season.....

Finish the season

Either way

I see your point but for reference the canals in Venice are now crystal clear and have the dolphins back ,the co2 emissions are down by half worldwide if you can believe the press and that is in a few weeks . If we stop abusing it no one knows how quickly it will recover .
This world has an ability to withstand a lot and recover and we do too.
Oh and the football is low down on the list of what must be sorted first as you say .

Status
Not open for further replies.