Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn’t a problem facing just the PL though. It’s all intereconnected, like dominoes - if our Football calendar shifts, it’s likely the rest of europe’s will too. If the calendar shifts, then the transfer windows move in line with the new schedule. If the transfer windows move, short term contract extensions would be signed to carry through to the end of that period.

UEFA doesn’t require all leagues to start at the same time as several of it’s members, who have been regular participants of their tournaments (and even won it several times), operate in leagues that don’t run Aug-May. Russia is but one example.

I don’t know of one family who plan their trips around pre-season, but let’s go with your suggestion that there are loads who would be disillusioned by all this. They could still plan their pre-season trips, they’d just be doing it at a different time of the year, and only temporarily until the calendar shifted back to “normal”.

As per Wayne Rooney’s suggestion, If, due to a global crisis, a new Football calendar is forced to be created that see’s the current season end in October, purely hypothetically, then what would be so problematic with a transfer window commencing November 1st, a new season commencing in January and running to October 2021?

Follow that same path for the subsequent season and that means that the World Cup in Qatar could still safely be played as an end of season tournament, without any real jiggery pokery - call it a fortuitous scheduling happenstance.

Why would the other major leagues want to fall in line with the PL? What if some of them want to void their league?

Also, you say we should start Oct and finish July. What happens in June when Euro 2021 kicks off and half the league disappears?

FIFA don't give a wank about the PL and have already moved the competition one year so they sure as Hell won't shift a multi-nation hosted tournament out a few months, away from prime tourist time, to appease the PL.

However, there is no doubt Liverpool do deserve the Championship, they have been the best team and if a solution to finish the season is found I don't think anybody can complain.

However, it will not be celebrated, just mourned, no open bus top parade and forever referred to as the corona virus league, interrupted for goodness knows how many weeks and then unceremoniously completed to get it out of the way so that the new league could start.

In line with the written statement from 100+ lower league clubs, I dispute that the current season is 'dead and is unable to be revived'.

I think the easiest way to return to Football is simply to follow the steps as instructed by the CMO and the government, wait for all this to subside and then, only when it is safe to do so, resume the current season.

I don't believe that causes chaos. I think it pushes back the Football calendar, which is something we'd have to contend with anyway. I believe that voiding the season causes chaos for all of those 100+ clubs, plus the majority of clubs in the 92. It has sizeable financial consequences which could very easily place several of those clubs into administration and threaten their very existence.
bagdad-bob.jpg

absolutely ridiculous obviously - what I do think though is Football represents a hint of normality & getting football back (whether that be this season / next season whatever) will be a key milestone for the government in terms of getting the country back on track and lifting the spirits etc
Wow, that is some extrapolation. You should've stopped after your first three words.

Why would the other major leagues want to fall in line with the PL? What if some of them want to void their league?

Also, you say we should start Oct and finish July. What happens in June when Euro 2021 kicks off and half the league disappears?

FIFA don't give a wank about the PL and have already moved the competition one year so they sure as Hell won't shift a multi-nation hosted tournament out a few months, away from prime tourist time, to appease the PL.

Because the PL has the most money and is the most watched league in the world, therefore it’s decision naturally carries more weight. There is an argument that they don’t need to fall in line though, and seasons wouldn’t need to run alongside each other, they could easily start a couple of months earlier / later than each other if they decided it was in their interests to do so. It wouldn’t prevent their participation in UEFA competitions and it wouldn’t preclude their participation in any

I don’t think there will be any circumstance where some leagues void and others don’t. Either they all will or none of them will, it will be a decision taken top-down from FIFA and UEFA, in correspondence with all of it’s various members and assocations, but naturally it’s main consultation will be with their main money-makers - Premier League, Serie A, Bundesliga, La Liga etc and their various national FA’s.

As you said, they were planning to bisect and interrupt the season for the Qatar World Cup, the season could be paused for 6-8 weeks while players went off to the Euro’s. That argument was good enough for the world cup, why not for the euro’s?

That’s not a new or good, cogent argument. It’s essentially the same argument - “It’s tradition, it’s always been that way”. And that’s not a reasonable or rational answer as to why it must stay that way.

August - May is for safety? So would an October - July season be unsafe? What would make an Aug-May season more safe than a Oct-Jul one, for example?

Changing the season schedule is something that would absolutely need to happen anyway, even without the CV19 issue. A change to the traditional Aug-May season is categorically going to happen as the upcoming World Cup is being held in December.

August to May is not “popular”, it’s just the only frame to which a season has been run in living memory. Popular would imply its the most liked when compared to other time frames. No other time frame has yet been tried.

It’s unreasonable and massively fanciful to assume that fans would turn their backs on the game, both in terms of matchday attendance and home viewing, in any number, let alone numbers sufficient for sponsors to be able to command reduced deals based on an October - July season, rather than the current August - May season, for example.

Well the argument is cogent and I’m not sure why it being new or old makes any relevance. You asked for a reason and it was provided. You may not like it, which is fair enough, but it doesn’t detract from the existence of a reason.

I’m not sure an October-July season would fit in all the football required. So given the squashing of games in together, I don’t think it would be safer at all no.

I acknowledge that a single season is having to be changed. I have covered this point, and stated it was hugely unpopular, driven heavily from above (and FIFA’s desire to spread the game) and it took years to agree. Also, like it or not, a World Cup has far more prestige than finishing a single PL season. I have covered this, and the fact it was so difficult, to move 1 single season, is evidence that moving multiple seasons will be extremely difficult.

Well it is popular. We have built the worlds biggest game on that time frame, and we have the most watched leagues on that time frame. Other leagues that have tried different time frames have proven to be demonstrably less popular than leagues such as the PL who operate in such a time frame. In fact, given the lack of opposition to changing the season schedule, you’d have to say the actual schedule was one of the most popular, essential parts of footballs package.

Your idea that we can change the schedule and people would like it equivalently is based on absolutely no evidence. In fact the overwhelming evidence is people wouldn’t like it.

What is “unreasonable and fanciful” is to assume breaking up the scheduled timing, when to date there has been no desire to do so would not have an affect on the sport. That you can just move dates and keep the same level of interaction (both amongst hardened fans, but particularly softer supporters around the world). It may be your opinion, which is fine, but it’s not backed up by any evidence.

I try to be civil, but when you are arguing the PLs structure is not popular, but a league with structure you are advocating (say Russia or the Scandinavian countries) have equivalent popularity in their structure you are completely mistaken on the evidence. It's not wrong. Just as it is wrong to assume if you go moving sporting events around, there won't be an impact. There could theoretically be a positive impact too, but I see nothing to suggest that.

Because the PL has the most money and is the most watched league in the world, therefore it’s decision naturally carries more weight. There is an argument that they don’t need to fall in line though, and seasons wouldn’t need to run alongside each other, they could easily start a couple of months earlier / later than each other if they decided it was in their interests to do so. It wouldn’t prevent their participation in UEFA competitions and it wouldn’t preclude their participation in any

I don’t think there will be any circumstance where some leagues void and others don’t. Either they all will or none of them will, it will be a decision taken top-down from FIFA and UEFA, in correspondence with all of it’s various members and assocations, but naturally it’s main consultation will be with their main money-makers - Premier League, Serie A, Bundesliga, La Liga etc and their various national FA’s.

As you said, they were planning to bisect and interrupt the season for the Qatar World Cup, the season could be paused for 6-8 weeks while players went off to the Euro’s. That argument was good enough for the world cup, why not for the euro’s?

So again, what happens when the PL season is still aiming to be finished by July 2021 but the Euros kick-off in June 2021?

Or what happens when say Celtic's CL and Wolves' EL qualifying games occured in July? Does the season end and teams like that immediately start the next season without a break?

absolutely ridiculous obviously - what I do think though is Football represents a hint of normality & getting football back (whether that be this season / next season whatever) will be a key milestone for the government in terms of getting the country back on track and lifting the spirits etc

Do you think so? I think this is a very dangerous argument.

What will lift people's spirits is stopping people dying. Helping NHS workers perform miracles on a daily basis. Football clubs opening there grounds and facilities for the summer. I may speak for myself, but I will not be in the least bit bothered about this season and football, and would actually feel very conflicted if we re-started while a raging pandemic was running. I can watch other things on TV in the interim. My entitlement to watching football really has to be placed in the context of what is happening, and the answer is really easy.

As for the idiots of Liverpool suggesting them stealing a title they haven't earned would lift the mood. It would make (at best) no difference, and at worst would be the exact sort of selfish profiteering in a crisis that would cause enormous anger. Essentially trying to use a crisis and people's deaths to claim something they haven't earned. The absolutely worst of humanity that.

Pro to Canceling/Voiding/Curtaining the League:

1) A responsibility to all clubs, personal and Fanbase during a GLOBAL PANDEMIC which is KILLING people.

2) Ensuring fixtures are in line with European and World Fixtures.

3) Acting quickly and in response to the virus, clubs could agree with the PFA financial package to saves hundreds of non-playing staffs jobs.

4) Domestic and European competition could still be completed in a straight knock out game.

5) TV and Commercial rights could re-negotiated to ensure contractual agreement are in place for the continuation of the pay structure of the league plus also put into place unprecedented events in the future which it seem this contract does not have (?)

6) Supporting The National League in their decision to canceling their entire league which the FA have agreed to plus also the likelihood Major European League are considering.

Cons to Canceling/Voiding/Curtaining the League:

1) League standings will be forfeited including relegation and promotion in agreement with The FA and EFL which could lead to compensation to lower leagues.

2) TV companies will require a re-evaluated charge from the league of around £40m each Premier League club.

3) Legal issues with TV/ Commercial and Championship clubs.

You're usually quite on it, but jeez, those two
1) we were in better form than Silva's very low base line
2) as soon as we realised we might finish 5th we bottled it in true Everton style.

I repeat; Nobody is going to kick a ball in anger before November - if then.

There's a good chance that to allow for this stupid Jan World Cup, the seasons will be staggered to fit it in. Then unstaggered to get back to 'normal' in August 2025.

I don't think we should kick a ball either. However I am just making the point, that some teams complaining from none league (and lots of teams not complaining) is more just about self protection than any sort of frustration with the decision the FA have made. It's a prelude to strengthen the case for compensation.

That compensation will be much higher if the precedent that has been set for the most of football in this country isn't carried through at the top end though.

Pro to Canceling/Voiding/Curtaining the League:

1) A responsibility to all clubs, personal and Fanbase during a GLOBAL PANDEMIC which is KILLING people.

2) Ensuring fixtures are in line with European and World Fixtures.

3) Acting quickly and in response to the virus, clubs could agree with the PFA financial package to saves hundreds of non-playing staffs jobs.

4) Domestic and European competition could still be completed in a straight knock out game.

5) TV and Commercial rights could re-negotiated to ensure contractual agreement are in place for the continuation of the pay structure of the league plus also put into place unprecedented events in the future which it seem this contract does not have (?)

6) Supporting The National League in their decision to canceling their entire league which the FA have agreed to plus also the likelihood Major European League are considering.

Cons to Canceling/Voiding/Curtaining the League:

1) League standings will be forfeited including relegation and promotion in agreement with The FA and EFL which could lead to compensation to lower leagues.

2) TV companies will require a re-evaluated charge from the league of around £40m each Premier League club.

3) Legal issues with TV/ Commercial and Championship clubs.

Just on the cons.
1) The legal challenges will be far greater if you do not void and force teams to play, our of season, in little more than a circus.

2) TV companies will charge the league a lot more if they can't fulfil fixtures next season. Finishing this season is likely to mean less games, and less money still next season.

So again, what happens when the PL season is still aiming to be finished by July 2021 but the Euros kick-off in June 2021?

Or what happens when say Celtic's CL and Wolves' EL qualifying games occured in July? Does the season end and teams like that immediately start the next season without a break?

*Caveat in advance - as this stands today

As per the agreements made by UEFA yesterday, the 55 FA's that voted effectively committed the traditional 20/21 to the bin; if they follow through on agreement to finish leagues (very very unlikely), this best case scenario will be early / mid august, which probably be followed by a mini between season break & if it is unsafe to play, obviously next season gets pushed back.

There are already extra international games to be added to the schedule, UEFA wont let the Nations league go so somethings will have to change or give somewhere..

Do you think so? I think this is a very dangerous argument.

What will lift people's spirits is stopping people dying. Helping NHS workers perform miracles on a daily basis. Football clubs opening there grounds and facilities for the summer. I may speak for myself, but I will not be in the least bit bothered about this season and football, and would actually feel very conflicted if we re-started while a raging pandemic was running. I can watch other things on TV in the interim. My entitlement to watching football really has to be placed in the context of what is happening, and the answer is really easy.

As for the idiots of Liverpool suggesting them stealing a title they haven't earned would lift the mood. It would make (at best) no difference, and at worst would be the exact sort of selfish profiteering in a crisis that would cause enormous anger. Essentially trying to use a crisis and people's deaths to claim something they haven't earned. The absolutely worst of humanity that.

You are completely right catcher & everything mentioned above is far far more important & will all happen before football is restarted in whatever form; my point is sport return will be a landmark moment in "life getting back to normal"

I posted yesterday about how I think it is OK to care about two things concurrently & people should not feel guilty about caring about football during a pandemic; it doesnt meant you care less about the pandemic because you care about what next for football

As I've suggested, it'll probably fall like dominoes, all of these decisions will be taken in line with the other because all of the authorities involved are in communication and all of them are of the view that they want to finish the season as and when it's safe to do so.

If the season is moved, qualifiers and pre-seasons will be moved, transfer windows will be moved to adjust the new period.

Status
Not open for further replies.