Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
On what grounds do you dispute this?

On the same grounds the aforementioned 100+ national league clubs do.

I believe that the current season can and will be resumed at a point where the government deem it safe to do so.

Lot’s of “what ifs” around that argument, of course, as there is around the argument to void. It’s one of many arguments like that right now as not even the brightest minds have a clear idea of how long this thing will take before we’re able to safely return to some sort of normality.

That’s not a new or good, cogent argument. It’s essentially the same argument - “It’s tradition, it’s always been that way”. And that’s not a reasonable or rational answer as to why it must stay that way.

August - May is for safety? So would an October - July season be unsafe? What would make an Aug-May season more safe than a Oct-Jul one, for example?

Changing the season schedule is something that would absolutely need to happen anyway, even without the CV19 issue. A change to the traditional Aug-May season is categorically going to happen as the upcoming World Cup is being held in December.

August to May is not “popular”, it’s just the only frame to which a season has been run in living memory. Popular would imply its the most liked when compared to other time frames. No other time frame has yet been tried.

It’s unreasonable and massively fanciful to assume that fans would turn their backs on the game, both in terms of matchday attendance and home viewing, in any number, let alone numbers sufficient for sponsors to be able to command reduced deals based on an October - July season, rather than the current August - May season, for example.

I work in media buying & the value of summer media drops massively - undoubtedly August to May is the most profitable calendar for football, driven by tv ratings being at the max.

That said, im sure the market modellers could easily put together the numbers to validate a hypothesis that getting football back even if it meant summer football for two years would be worthwhile long term

I work in media buying & the value of summer media drops massively - undoubtedly August to May is the most profitable calendar for football, driven by tv ratings being at the max.

That said, im sure the market modellers could easily put together the numbers to validate a hypothesis that getting football back even if it meant summer football for two years would be worthwhile long term

Surely the value of said media relates to the demand, though? I’m not sure what form of media you work in (digital, print, display etc) but understand that there are peaks and troughs in all forms of media and demand can be seasonal depending on what it is your offering.

However, the demand for Football from your typical consumer is pretty consistently high all year round, wouldn’t you agree?

OK but can you explain what those reasons are?

Sure, as I’ve just said, I believe that the current season can and will be resumed at a point where the government deem it safe to do so.

Voiding threatens the very existence of clubs like Bury and Bolton. It’s got financial consequences for all clubs. It will mean thousands of people lose their jobs and just in terms of the spirit of the game, it’s unfair to most clubs to nullify their efforts on a season that’s 75% completed. I’d still love to see Sheffield United qualify for the Champions League and it wouldn’t feel right that 8th placed Spurs are back in the Champions League based on 18/19.

That’s why I don’t think the authorities will opt to void unless there is a seismic shift in opinion from the majority of clubs, most of whom at present would rather wait this out and resume later in the year.

I know that you believe that it can. I asked on what grounds. You are avoiding the question.

No I’m not, I just gave you a perfectly reasonable answer.

I tell you what, let’s say I believe that it can on precisely the same grounds that you believe that it is dead and cannot be revived.

We’re both equally uninformed. It’s simply my opinion vs yours, and I’m fine with that.

Surely the value of said media relates to the demand, though? I’m not sure what form of media you work in (digital, print, display etc) but understand that there are peaks and troughs in all forms of media and demand can be seasonal depending on what it is your offering.

However, the demand for Football from your typical consumer is pretty consistently high all year round, wouldn’t you agree?

Yeah but demand only exists inside the size of the pool at that time. So if you take July for example, of the top of my head circa 30% of the population will go on holiday during the month and the rest will have a much higher propensity to spend time outdoors. They won't pick up the casual fans, who are the silent majority.

That said, if the PL returns in July, I'd imagine the ratings will be huge, but a bigger share of a smaller pool

Yeah but demand only exists inside the size of the pool at that time. So if you take July for example, of the top of my head circa 30% of the population will go on holiday during the month and the rest will have a much higher propensity to spend time outdoors. They won't pick up the casual fans, who are the silent majority.

That said, if the PL returns in July, I'd imagine the ratings will be huge, but a bigger share of a smaller pool

I think I’ve read before that in recent years in viewing figures for August (when it’s just as roasting and the kids are still off and many are still on holiday) are amongst the highest in a typical season.

Have to imagine it wouldn’t be all that different in July.

Fairly consistent with the Dutch FA's statement and the wider noises from UEFA on deadlines. As time ticks by, we move more slowly towards cancellation.

It's telling today, no statement from any organisation said we would finish at any cost, or extended indefinitely etc. The language is softening. Thats Juventus and Ajax now saying the same thing.

Well, there's one organization that won't need to make such a statement as we'd all know it to be understood.

There are lots of clubs who haven't signed it as well though. It's the easiest thing in the world to jump on the bandwagon and be critical. Look if it gets cancelled I'd expect our board to kick uo a fuss, point out we are in great form and have a favourable run in and could conceivably still finish 5th. It still doesn't mean the decision to cancel, if all options have run out is not the best one.

In essence the debate is, do we disrupt multiple seasons, or do we cancel 1. There's winners and losers in both scenario's. For me I don;t think it's feasible to re-arrange seasons, so it's either lose part of a season, or potentially lose a whole season. I'm a pragmatism, and it's an easy choice to make.
You're usually quite on it, but jeez, those two
1) we were in better form than Silva's very low base line
2) as soon as we realised we might finish 5th we bottled it in true Everton style.

I repeat; Nobody is going to kick a ball in anger before November - if then.

There's a good chance that to allow for this stupid Jan World Cup, the seasons will be staggered to fit it in. Then unstaggered to get back to 'normal' in August 2025.

Status
Not open for further replies.