class of 86

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I did matey,,as good as Cokeman is,,Stevens was a more aclomplished player imo. Could play anywhere in the back four.
The question set I believe is who today would get in the 80s team at their best. Coleman would, imo.

Stevens was a fine player and a great athlete for that period in time. But he had a genius in front of him in Trevor Steven and that has to be a massive help. Coleman at his best basically carries the attack of Everton; he's come on leaps and bounds since Moyes introduced him. He's a very good defender now. He would have slotted in that Everton 80s team no problem. I'd say Baines would push VDH too.

The question set I believe is who today would get in the 80s team at their best. Coleman would, imo.

Stevens was a fine player and a great athlete for that period in time. But he had a genius in front of him in Trevor Steven and that has to be a massive help. Coleman at his best basically carries the attack of Everton; he's come on leaps and bounds since Moyes introduced him. He's a very good defender now. He would have slotted in that Everton 80s team no problem. I'd say Baines would push VDH too.
Its difficult compare, but would Coleman have been as successful playing with Trevor Steven ahead of him? I love seeing Coleman going down the wing and getting in the box as he does, but I just think Gary Stevens had more ability. I do agree with Baines though, I would put him, just, ahead of VDH

Its difficult compare, but would Coleman have been as successful playing with Trevor Steven ahead of him? I love seeing Coleman going down the wing and getting in the box as he does, but I just think Gary Stevens had more ability. I do agree with Baines though, I would put him, just, ahead of VDH

I think he defo would. Coleman would need to have adapted his game a bit for that team because Gay Stevens wasn't an out and out wing back in the same way as he's been encouraged to play now...though Kendall did like to see Stevens push on at the right time.

I'm not suggesting he's better than Stevens (for example, playing in massive games brings up the need for a lot of composure, which we know for sure Stevens had....that bollocks up in the 86 final aside!...but we dont know if Coleman has). I do believe though he'd have been a force in the 80s team. When you read stuff from Kendall a year back or so when Coleman was in his pomp you could tell that Howard saw that too.

Bainesey is better going forward than Psycho Pat,although VDH was very decent with the ball and would use it extremely well even though he was right footed,defensively he was amongst the best around at that time,could play Centre Back too,was great to have a big fella at the back post to clear things,we've suffered with the likes of Baines/Hibbert being small lads to those type of balls,Gary Stevens was pretty tall too,Bainesey would probably be the closest to that team,no-one else comes anywhere near out of the current squad I'm afraid.

...rolls Royce was VDH, highly underrated and unfortunate to be remembered with 'psycho' tag. I think he played CB for a large part of that '87 Championship season, scoring the winner at Norwich.

It's difficult to swap players from different teams because although they had the same positions they had different roles and change might upset the balance.

I still can't forgive arl wing nut for Oxford away Chico,him and his "lucky boots":rant:lol
Lucky boots......have you ever heard such bollocks,that must be code for I'm s*** and I've just cost us the title,if that was today he'd be slaughtered,thinks he's Jimmy Grimble the beaut.........ah repressed memory :rant:

Sorry to be pedantic, but this thread should be entitled CLASS OF 1985.

Class of 1986 featured Lineker, a completely different style of play geared towards Lineker's strengths, and ultimately... disappointment as we ended up trophyless that season, and beaten by the Reds in both the league and cup.

Class of 1985 though... different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.