class of 86

Status
Not open for further replies.
btw......'86?

I was thinking 85-86!

Good call on Eto'o. Possibly more creative in that secondary striker role than Inchy.

I've never been convinced that today's footballers are necessarily any fitter, faster or better than 20 odd years ago. There's a lot of hype I think, d signed to impress us how professional it all us today and thus justify the colossal amount of money involved.

I just remember a tiny squad playing every week, more games and playing 90mph football from the off. They used to come out of the dressing room already sweating!

Not any of them for me. Fitness, physique and maybe even ability could arguably be better in some of today's players but that team were winners. They had a winners mentality and did what it took. In fact, the only players we've had since then that I'd consider are Kanchelskis and Rooney. I understand the Eto'o shout but I'm going on what they've done in a royal blue shirt.

honestly none of are team now, baines not sure Bailey was a pretty much the same style of player as was Gidman , both not as good a Van den Hauwes as part of that team ,Stevens and steven were a great double act so no chance of anybody on that side. eto at his peak yes all day

Not any of them for me. Fitness, physique and maybe even ability could arguably be better in some of today's players but that team were winners. They had a winners mentality and did what it took. In fact, the only players we've had since then that I'd consider are Kanchelskis and Rooney. I understand the Eto'o shout but I'm going on what they've done in a royal blue shirt.

Good points.

I think Arteta might push for a place........and Wagga Watson over Derek?

85-86 good point ... it was a LONG time ago ... I forget. I rate the team pre-Lineker as the best. Sure he scored a bagfull, but the rest of the team around him didnt work as well "knock it to lineker and sit back". Gray over Lineker all day - though the replacement, by Kendall was a good one given Gray's increasing age.

I should have called this thread class of 84-85 then!

Watson was a brilliant player for us - but I always missed Mountfield and rated him better for his goals.

Maybe Beardsley. Beardsley and Sharp would've been brilliant together.

Status
Not open for further replies.