class of 86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nevin was a good player, & had some good games for us !!
None actually stand out,his lob goal against United was good though.......oh Arsenal at home 1989-90ish he had possibly his best game,they were champions and we wiped the floor with them

The current team would be absolutely destroyed by the '85 team. The '85 team could mix-it-up (play hard), switch styles (pass and move, direct, counter) and improvise almost telepathically. They were also ****ing deadly from set-pieces. Gray and Sharp were two of the finest headers of a ball. Sharp was a top notch target man. He could hold up a ball and lay it off with ease, or he could flick a header in any direction to a blue shirt. He was also a great finisher - headers, shots, long or short. Gray was just a nutter. He would put his head where other players wouldn't dare to put their foot. He would rough defences up, let them know they were in a game - and he could score goals for fun.

Baines's left foot isn't half as good as Sheedy's was. Sheedy caressed the ball, as did Bracewell. Reid was the oppositions players worst nightmare. He gave them no time on the ball but it was his influence on other players around him which was his biggest attribute. He kept people disciplined, kept talking and shouting, pushing and pulling at his team mates. Trevor Steven and Gary Stevens owned the right flank. They could move the ball from defence to attack with ease and would almost always end up with a dangerous ball into the box.

I could go on but that team also had work-rate. They sweated blood and tears, died for Everton every game. It was always us versus the world, that is how it felt. And we had Neville in goal.

That team had no weakness, absolutely ruthless.

The current team would be absolutely destroyed by the '85 team. The '85 team could mix-it-up (play hard), switch styles (pass and move, direct, counter) and improvise almost telepathically. They were also ****ing deadly from set-pieces. Gray and Sharp were two of the finest headers of a ball. Sharp was a top notch target man. He could hold up a ball and lay it off with ease, or he could flick a header in any direction to a blue shirt. He was also a great finisher - headers, shots, long or short. Gray was just a nutter. He would put his head where other players wouldn't dare to put their foot. He would rough defences up, let them know they were in a game - and he could score goals for fun.

Baines's left foot isn't half as good as Sheedy's was. Sheedy caressed the ball, as did Bracewell. Reid was the oppositions players worst nightmare. He gave them no time on the ball but it was his influence on other players around him which was his biggest attribute. He kept people disciplined, kept talking and shouting, pushing and pulling at his team mates. Trevor Steven and Gary Stevens owned the right flank. They could move the ball from defence to attack with ease and would almost always end up with a dangerous ball into the box.

I could go on but that team also had work-rate. They sweated blood and tears, died for Everton every game. It was always us versus the world, that is how it felt. And we had Neville in goal.

That team had no weakness, absolutely ruthless.

This hits the nail on the head for me, and almost brings a tear to my eye, so vividly reminding me of those times. I started this thread to cheer myself up about all things Everton, but now I'm just miserable being reminded of how good things WERE before the Sky $$$$ destroyed the British players and made the competition a stalemate amongst their darlings.

Status
Not open for further replies.