CL Play off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abraders

Player Valuation: £60m
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6949485,00.html

The usual top 4 decline against the idea, no surprise there.

Personally i think this would be a brilliant idea! Would make a for a great end of season round off for those 4-7th and would mean we, and other teams, could possibly get Champs league for a season, not forgetting the money which comes with it which in all would only make the league as a whole stronger.

Make the League Stronger?

This is a one - possibly two horse race. Who wants to gamble with a League where more teams than that could win it?

Betting companies would go broke dude!

hmm? It states that instead of 4th spot being a straight CL place, 4-7th positioned teams have a play off to determine who gets champions league. It would mean other teams, being those who pushed us this season for example, along with ourselves and the likes of tottenham & Liverpool could battle it out for the CL place at the end of the season.

The team who gets in would get the revenue, and let's imagine say bolton finished 7th one season and got into CL, it would give them much more money to compete the next season and so on.

I think it would also take some pressure off those in the Europa league too, knowing that it doesn't have to be a solid 4th place to get in the CL the next season?

Without giving this much thought and being helped by the fact I'm an Everton fan. It sounds a great idea, personally

Top 3 - Champions League
Winner of the play off - Champions League
Runner Up - UEFA Cup
Cup Winners - UEFA Cup

It would certainly make it more interesting. Can imagine a huge fixture concern as mentioned and yeah, Top 4 or so would never want this

It would certainly make it more interesting, I mean look at the Play-offs in the Championship. A team in third could finish 20pts ahead of the team in 6th, yet 6th could win the Play-offs and hit the jackpot.

It would definetly be a good idea.

It's not really fair to be honest.....but we seemingly do well against the big teams now so sod it! Get it sorted!

I can see where some of you are coming from but I think it could work out to be fair and may even make it tighter at the top, the so called 'top 4' wouldn't want to finish 4th and have to play in the play off so they'd play harder for the top 3 making it more interesting again?

I don't see how it isn't fair, how is it any different from the Play-offs?

Exactly this. 3rd don't go up automatically in the Championship. Exactly the same principle.

It'd add fantastic excitement to the end of season.

I don't see how it isn't fair, how is it any different from the Play-offs?

Who said the play-offs were fair ? Pointing to the play-offs as if because it's already used somehow ratifies it isn't much of an argument.

Team A plays well all season, finishes 3rd only behind 2nd and 1st by 4 points. Team B finish 6th and play okay, but they're 20 points below Team A and 24 off the top spot.

Now you tell me, do you think it's fair that Team B can get promoted through luck after being the worse team all season ? I don't. It makes a bit of a mockery of the league in my opinion, just to add a little 'excitement'.

Who said the play-offs were fair ? Pointing to the play-offs as if because it's already used somehow ratifies it isn't much of an argument.

Team A plays well all season, finishes 3rd only behind 2nd and 1st by 4 points. Team B finish 6th and play okay, but they're 20 points below Team A and 24 off the top spot.

Now you tell me, do you think it's fair that Team B can get promoted through luck after being the worse team all season ? I don't. It makes a bit of a mockery of the league in my opinion, just to add a little 'excitement'.

See what your saying, but that happend with Blackpool and i think everyone will agree they added something different to the league this year

See what your saying, but that happend with Blackpool and i think everyone will agree they added something different to the league this year

So? If we want to fix things so that the 'more excitiing' teams get in, then why not go back to just nominating teams and sack off any attempt at being a meritocracy?

It's exactly that kind of thinking that led to Liverpool being given a champions league place after we beat them to it.

3rd should go up and 4th should get Champions League, end of.

So? If we want to fix things so that the 'more excitiing' teams get in, then why not go back to just nominating teams and sack off any attempt at being a meritocracy?

It's exactly that kind of thinking that led to Liverpool being given a champions league place after we beat them to it.

Bang. On.

Wooooo chill out, never said i agreed with it, just said look what happend to Blackpool. It is unfair to the team that finishes 4th, however as an Evertonian, we'd be in a Champions League playoff now

Status
Not open for further replies.