Chelsea's Charlie Cook on the Holy Trinity, November 1969

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great video of the match. Makes me laugh that such a talent as Alan Ball must have give the ball away about 5 times in the first 10 mins. Would have been hounded out of the club if he did that nowadays. Refreshing to see the commentator not trying to be an expert and find faults with players or goals. Just did his job and commentated. I would like to say 'The good old days' were the only thing that mattered was scoring more than the other team and not debating on misplaced passes or missed chances for the next 6 months.

Great watch. My first game was the season before at Goodison against Chelsea and we lost 2-1.

Magic bit of film from football's finest decade. Intelligent sort of interview too. Not like the smirking banter we are presented with now.

What a player Osgood was. Defenders didn't take any prisoners then either. Refs weren't so whistle-happy. He must have been black and blue after the game.

Agreed about Osgood. He had real pace before the Emlyn Hughes tackle at Bloomfield Road, as this clip captures from Chelsea's third round cup victory at Anfield - revenge for the semi-final defeat the season before - in early 1966:

Great video of the match. Makes me laugh that such a talent as Alan Ball must have give the ball away about 5 times in the first 10 mins. Would have been hounded out of the club if he did that nowadays. Refreshing to see the commentator not trying to be an expert and find faults with players or goals. Just did his job and commentated. I would like to say 'The good old days' were the only thing that mattered was scoring more than the other team and not debating on misplaced passes or missed chances for the next 6 months.

Great watch. My first game was the season before at Goodison against Chelsea and we lost 2-1.

You're spot on about Bally, he had a real off-day in this one. Fortunately, Kendall and Harvey were on their game, and Labone was an absolute rock.

What I remember is the FA Charity Shield at Stamford Bridge at the start of the 1970-71 season, Chelsea being cup-holders and Everton league champs. 2-1 to Ev, although I confess I followed Chelsea in those London days.
That orange away strip though. We should always wear that IMO as someone else posted.

Any excuse to show this:

Status
Not open for further replies.