Chelsea's Charlie Cook on the Holy Trinity, November 1969

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magic bit of film from football's finest decade. Intelligent sort of interview too. Not like the smirking banter we are presented with now.

What a player Osgood was. Defenders didn't take any prisoners then either. Refs weren't so whistle-happy. He must have been black and blue after the game.

Plus, proper kits, less intrusive advertising, no diving, no stupid hairstyles, no tattoos, no prancing, no choreographed gestures, no affectations, no booing, no pundits ... The crowd were fans, could afford the ticket, and knew the team inside out not corporate hangers on , or people being seen there to be trendy.

If only there were jumpers for goal posts.

In all that the game has gained in cash, it has lost so much more.

That Chelsea side were a very fine outfit but I seem to remember we slaughtered them in the return match the following March / April.
What I remember is the FA Charity Shield at Stamford Bridge at the start of the 1970-71 season, Chelsea being cup-holders and Everton league champs. 2-1 to Ev, although I confess I followed Chelsea in those London days.
That orange away strip though. We should always wear that IMO as someone else posted.

Charlie Cooke, great player. And a character. When he first went to Chelsea he was always into the training ground first. Everyone was very impressed with his professionalism. What was later discovered was that he was going there direct from the London nightclubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.