Chelsea vs Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a great performance. Champions league winner against our least experienced team in memory.
Everyone worked exceptionally well. Not pretty to watch but but you could clearly see the work rate and tactics being carried out. It was tense and proud of the team tonight
I'm not disagreeing. Offensively, we'd have all wanted more, but in terms of organisation and as a defensive performance it was a really good performance.

The fact that I'm slightly more annoyed that we got up a few times towards the end and fluffed our lines is testament to how well they've played.

Can argue tooth and nail whether we got lucky with Chelsea on an off day, but the reality there is, we put a shift in tonight and that’s all I want from an Everton side.

If we show heart and fight like that every game of the season you’ll find we would be more than okay.

It’s over to Benitez to motivate these players regardless of the opposition.

Felt Godfrey, Gordon were excellent going forward.

Excellent - I was so wrong but.. hell - those that were available put in a shift which belies any suggestion that they don't want to play for Benitez.

TBF I don't think its right to say they played for Benitez - those lads wanted to play, to take the chance that injuries and COVID have given them. Benitez hasn't picked any of them up to this point, after all.

They were great and should be rewarded by starting the next game.

I thought young Dobbin was excellent in that difficult game for strikers. Simms didn't seem to have the pace or maybe just the drive to press the opposition but Dobbin was chasing everything and worried Chelsea a few times with his turn of pace. Gordon was also absolutely excellent and put in a huge amount of work, and he combined with Branthwaite, another youngster, for the goal. I thought the youngsters really showed up the 'seniors' like Gomes and Iwobi who looked poor. Sadly Onyango, like Simms, didn't seem to have pace to close or track, though Doucoure seemed sluggish, when he first came to us, but I've recently been impressed with his speed when he gets stuck into the game. Maybe Onyango has more in his locker.
All in all this was a good hard-working performance and Jordan Pickford was top drawer. Well done Everton, and our travelling fans were fantastic and played their part. Great effort all round! COYB ??

Ahh, can enjoy Christmas now with this and the Leicester game off. Cheers. :pint2:
Kids done well, we have ben calling for these for months, finally we get our way. AND we were right although the FSW will take all the credit no doubt.

Made up for Branthwaite, he is a prospect.

I think its good that Allan and Coleman didnt have to play and now the squad gets 10 days rest and by then we should have a few back.. suddenly light at the nd of the tunnel but only if the FSW plays it right, I`m not sure he can.

Pickford was outstanding and MoM but I'm changing my vote to Simms, who is being underrated by some on here and currently has no votes. He was on his debut playing against world-class defenders and still managed to get more flicks and shield more balls than some of our former forwards. He may or may not have a future with us but he played and pressed as well as anyone with a degree of intelligence I wasn't expecting.

I think this game showed that Gordon has established himself as a first-team player and, not expecting too much, I was also impressed by Kenny's overall performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.