Centre Midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what Tom Davies is? Thought he was a DM for a while? I feel like he needs to be told do one one think and then someone needs to really help him become that thing. He could be great if he is helped and he could fill some of the void left by Gana.
For me this is the biggest issue with him - he has no real identity in the team. It's difficult to pinpoint exactly what he brings to the side.

For me this is the biggest issue with him - he has no real identity in the team. It's difficult to pinpoint exactly what he brings to the side.

Yeah, he had that brake out season and I thought, box to box, then he just went to D or CM, then he never really did anything. I feel like it should put him ina unique position to be able to tailor his skills to a roll the team needs. Shouldnt Silva be helping him to fulfill his true potential and tailor his team?

in a way we have failed him. We made him part of the set up but have not brought him on at all by us having the period of different managers & a [Poor language removed] squad. Problem is, he has been around now too long to just send out on loan. Defo a make or break season for the lad at the club

Davies chases the ball too much; not enough positional sense. Actually, he might be a victim of the straitjacket formation we've play with for years.

Tom Davies needs to push himself to find his best position. Assuming we stick with 2 in central midfield it seems he doesn't have the vision and is not a good enough passer of the ball to play the creative role. So can he play the DM role? He's certainly got the physicality, he's strong and has pace, he can tackle, his short passing is good and long passing when he gets his head up is OK. But he does get caught in possession and has he got the focus to be disciplined in that position for 90 mins? Also doubts about his stamina in that he looks fatigued after runs that he makes at pace. But these are aspects that can be worked on with good coaching. We may never know as Silva doesn't play him there but as a coach he should be working with him so Davies at least knows the position and can be tried there to see if he can play in the role.

The problem with Davies is that he doesn't particularly excel at anything. He's a decent passer, gets around the pitch, can put his foot in, but he's not really a playmaker, nor is he a great a defensive shield, and although he works hard he's not a Gana/Kante type who gets everywhere. He's the sort of player who can come in and do you a job, but I just can't see what he offers that will make him a regular here in the long term (assuming finishing 8th isn't the height of our ambition).

Davies chases the ball too much; not enough positional sense. Actually, he might be a victim of the straitjacket formation we've play with for years.
for once I agree with you haha. The lad would have gained more by going out on loan 18 months ago. Now as others have mentioned he has not nailed down a position or shown anything to suggest he will be a starter. There is clearly a player there but for us long term I don't think so

for once I agree with you haha. The lad would have gained more by going out on loan 18 months ago. Now as others have mentioned he has not nailed down a position or shown anything to suggest he will be a starter. There is clearly a player there but for us long term I don't think so
His first national interview on his breakthrough under Koeman he stated he was not a player with great pace, or great range of passing but that he was a player who could get about the pitch challenging and show for the ball and recycle. For one reason or another we dont see enough of that. Maybe the managerial changes or he's just lost his way. It happens. But he needs to have a good season or he wont be here much longer.

The problem with Davies is that he doesn't particularly excel at anything. He's a decent passer, gets around the pitch, can put his foot in, but he's not really a playmaker, nor is he a great a defensive shield, and although he works hard he's not a Gana/Kante type who gets everywhere. He's the sort of player who can come in and do you a job, but I just can't see what he offers that will make him a regular here in the long term (assuming finishing 8th isn't the height of our ambition).

His best chance was/is to really excel at winning the ball back. That would take ridiculous levels of work on his part to build his stamina though.

The bit in bold, would you suggest that be Gylfi? Because I just don't think that's what Gylfi's good at. He can rake a 30-40 yard pass, but I don't think it's his strongest suit. He's never been a playmaker in the traditional sense. So I think Gomes would have to be the player doing that. He has that burst of pace/power that gets him past people and his passing in terms of switching the play is the best in the side.

I don't think he's awful carrying the ball. He's good. But would he be able to dribble past a crowd of players at pace? I don't think so...

It's certainly not a bad idea though, and I get what you're saying. It's good to have options and hopefully Silva will be flexible in his set up once everybody is fit.
No, was talking about Delph's role on left. Right side has a diff set up with JP and Sig combining in that role while also allowing Sig the freedom to get forward. In the clip below look how much play is from deeper. Reckon atm Silva is rendering him less effective to the team. Remember would have 3 ball carriers in front of him this season - Richarlison, Kean, Iwobi, something sadly lacking last season.

No, was talking about Delph's role on left. Right side has a diff set up with JP and Sig combining in that role while also allowing Sig the freedom to get forward. In the clip below look how much play is from deeper. Reckon atm Silva is rendering him less effective to the team. Remember would have 3 ball carriers in front of him this season - Richarlison, Kean, Iwobi, something sadly lacking last season.

Agree. He could easily play in a three in midfield and attack from deep he doesn't have to play as a ten every game for me.

Does anyone know what Tom Davies is? Thought he was a DM for a while? I feel like he needs to be told do one one think and then someone needs to really help him become that thing. He could be great if he is helped and he could fill some of the void left by Gana.

DlM7SMRXcAEqVCQ.jpg

Agree, in Silva's system, with Gana all over the place, the lad didn't stand a chance. In a 3 midfield, in a defined role he'd do better. Or coming on late as a 10 as he'd started doing.

Whoa! I take exception to that comment. He excels at not pulling his socks up, protecting the environment by choosing a skateboard as his mode of transportation and is an anti slave labour activist by only wearing second hand clothes bought from the daisy chain foundation!

Bingo.

Davies can play as a box to box with the ball, just needs some improvement and consistency. But without the ball, he's too easily bypasses because he's both poor positionally and reckless. That's harder to fix. Gomes is the same way unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.