2019/20 Cenk Tosun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't sure there was.

If Allardyce/Walsh were on the way out months later, why support them?

I said before we signed him;

In short then, we weren't going down, we weren't going to win anything and he was always going to be a squad player because we always needed better than him to compete.

At the time Farhad needed to back him in some way.. we may have been safe but we hit decent form and there was still the slight chance of Europa.

The mistake was in buying Tosun really. We would’ve been much better off buying Andre Silva or Dembele (Dolberg in hindsight seems to have lost the hype).

In a game against the likes of Burnley or Watford, at 0-0 - last 10 minutes out of DCL, Tosun and Niasse on the bench, I'd prefer Niasse.

As poor a footballer he is, at least he offers something different.

I think most centre halfs would prefer handling Tosun to Niasse lol Niasse doesn't know what he's doing himself half the time...

Sooner both are sold the better like.

We could do a lot worse than having Niasse as back up for sure - if we were chasing a goal and needed someone to unsettle a defence then Niasse is much better than Cenk.

I’d prefer we shift both for any kind of fee though. If Cenk goes for £10m and Niasse we get £1m as a loan fee, and a combined £120k pw off the bill, it’s almost £20m extra in the bank than if we kept them.

Hypothetical fees of course but I’d rather the £20m and stick Richarlison up top if needed.

Interesting then that Niasse has a better return and earned Everton more points.

Quick comparison - Cenk 2018/19, Niasse 17/18;

View attachment 65068

My point isn't necessarily Niasse is the better player, more that at least he offers something different.

The points a fair one. You always feel with a player like Tosun he needs a run of games to get into form. A run of games he's unlikely to get. With Niasse you don't get any sense with a run of games he's going to get much better. However he's a wildcard and you may get a mad moment from him. When looking at a sub, who can change the flow of the game he offers that.

You also factor in, if we can get a reasonable fee for Tosun, maybe they feel keep Niasse back as a back up (unless a decent offer comes in).

Interesting then that Niasse has a better return and earned Everton more points.

View attachment 65068

My point isn't necessarily Niasse is the better player, more that at least he offers something different.

Yep, I would keep Niasse over Cenk any day of the week. This is the Premier League, and as poor as Niasse is in so many ways, he has more pace, power and drive than Tosun. He can and has made an impact off the bench. Tosun must be the easiest forward to defend against in the league; almost any centre back can out muscle him, out jump him and out run him.

He is a natural finisher and has good positioning, and a footballing brain, for sure. But it doesn't tick fast enough for this league. He needs to move on for his own good as he still has years left in the tank to get back to scoring in another league.

Really? I doubt you really thought things through. It's apparent you have an irrational hatred of Niasse.

Tosun's goal and assist stats are pretty woeful considering he had a decent run last season. He would have to play around 100 games before he even reaches double figures this season!

Obviously just my opinion but Tosun can hold the ball up and bring others into play, Niasse can't do that, he just runs towards goal with or without the ball.

I don't have a hatred for Niasse, I just don't think he is a technically good footballer. He is athletic though and persistent. And also he seems like a nice and humble bloke. Premier league just not really for either of them.

View attachment 65068

This sums it all up really. Both of them were very poor purchases and, in both cases, it was fairly apparent beforehand that they weren't going to be good enough to even justify their fees. Neither should ever have been sanctioned.

Having said all that, Niasse came in on a lower fee (and possibly lower wages) and has delivered more so whilst we realistically want them both gone, Tosun is the bigger drain on the payroll and has less to offer on the field so he should be sold ASAP.

I'd rather keep Tosun over Niasse.

As eclectic and enthusiastic as Niasse is far too many moves break down when he ends up involved and his finishing is awful. Tosun is much more capable of putting the ball into the net or playing a meaningful part in a move.

Niasse had the same experience again at last season at Cardiff. Fans initially took aback by his surprising lack of technical ability, won over by his persistence and attitude and then finally exasperated by the fact that he is in no way a competent PL player.

Surely this debate has a really simple conclusion ? Neither Cenk T nor Oumar should be anywhere near the first team.

Whether we had worse strikers in the 90's has little to with anything.

Both these individuals are a country mile away from the quality we should have on the books.

Get rid of both and worry not what either may do in any hypothetical situation because the truth really is that they are both completely woeful at the level we aspire to achieve.

I'd rather keep Tosun over Niasse.

As eclectic and enthusiastic as Niasse is far too many moves break down when he ends up involved and his finishing is awful. Tosun is much more capable of putting the ball into the net or playing a meaningful part in a move.

Niasse had the same experience again at last season at Cardiff. Fans initially took aback by his surprising lack of technical ability, won over by his persistence and attitude and then finally exasperated by the fact that he is in no way a competent PL player.

....I’d rather they both left.

I just think he isn't the profile of striker that Silva prefers really. Don't think he's a 'bad' player necissarily.

He's a good finisher. A poacher and someone who works well in a two or three (as he plays in for Turkey).

But he doesn't have the pace to be used in a Silva system, which is really a counter-attacking one.

If we moved the ball up in stages and with patience, maybe he'd work. But he can't do what we need off the ball to justify him playing.

He's a good finisher. A poacher and someone who works well in a two or three (as he plays in for Turkey).

But he doesn't have the pace to be used in a Silva system, which is really a counter-attacking one.

If we moved the ball up in stages and with patience, maybe he'd work. But he can't do what we need off the ball to justify him playing.

....I recall Tosun missing some decent chances in his most recent games for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.