2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully we as a fanbase never crawl this far up any player or managers arse again and demand better.
Fully disagree with this take.

As a fan base we believed in the Ancelotti project. Why? We've seen Martinez, Koeman, Allardyce and Silva all fail, assumed it was the fault of an awful team, and had a world class manager come in. If it doesn't work under Ancelotti its the team right? So we gave him patience, didn't panic as we would have done with any other manager in charge, and believed that in a year or two once he's got his own team together we'd be getting the results we wanted.

What we did with Ancelotti is exactly what we need to do with the next manager. Have patience, not react when we have a poor run of form etc. Otherwise we'll just end up with a manager every 18 months and going nowhere.

If he was going to jump at the first opportunity then he shouldn't have taken the job in the first place. We needed a period of stability at the least. Now we're back to the drawing board.

I doubt he was going just jump ship at the first opportunity. The zidane thing and he never won the league first time round in spain(only country he hasnt won the title) was probably the factor.
I still find it bizare though that two of the most elite biggest clubs in the world will have two ex Everton managers on the touchline in the el clasico next season.

Lads, he’s gone. He’s gone lads...he’s no longer part of our club. I wish him well in his new job, but like Koeman, Fat Sam etc, he’s been, picked up the money and now gone.....

And unlike most of them we have improved under him and his 4 signings can probably be utilised by the next manager. I wish him no harm. I know I'm a minority in that, but time to move forward. If the next manager can add 20% to our points total over te next 2 years, and then leaves again, I'll happily sign off on that deal now.

Mr Thanksalotti probably couldn't be arsed making a silk purse out of the sows ear bunch we have here. Let's face it, without a clearout, it's an absolutely monumental task for whoever comes in. He's got a ready made squad at Madrid and he took the easy, lazy option by going there. I remember when he got the job here, an un-named manager said that while he was very popular amongst his peers, the general understanding about him was that his approach to coaching was lazy. It's no surprise really that he has abandoned our project for a ready made Madrid team.

If you look at Benitez at Newcastle, he served up dreadful football and had them doing nothing in the lower reaches of the table - yet the fans adored him because he was a big name. I think we were well on course to be doing the same.

Indeed one of the biggest problems the club has had in recent times is a pre-occupation with big names. Rooney, Koeman, Ancelotti, James.. All the signings from big clubs.

We need to create our own identity, not ride on the coat tails of others.

It’s absolutely pathetic.

I had no idea that so many adults actually believed the nonsense that those in football spout.

Rooney was the one that made me understand… I was about 13 when he left.

The fact that some people well into their 40s, 50s and beyond still haven’t grasped what modern football is all about is staggering and embarrassing in equal measure.
Rooney did it for me too mate. Same age aswell. Stone cold since and don't believe a word a player or manager says. And im right to. Rooney or not. Like a death of a relative that though at the time.

If you look at Benitez at Newcastle, he served up dreadful football and had them doing nothing in the lower reaches of the table - yet the fans adored him because he was a big name. I think we were well on course to be doing the same.
I disagree on that, I think he bought himself time and goodwill because of his track record but if next season started without some big signings and a far improved style of play that 15% who wanted him out would’ve at least doubled and he’d be hearing it on the terraces as fans came back.

'when my good friend Perez called me out of the blue two days ago. I was so shocked. But then I knew. I had to come home. Its the biggest club in the world. I am so happy.'
Translated from the Spanish.
The squad here is full of dross,I'm too long in the tooth for this crap,I'd rather bail and play real life Champ Manager.

This reminds me of a comment I saw online about some girl come from England, and being shocked about New York. Almost verbatim.

I reminded her that England has some dodgy areas, and it exactly the same for Ireland. If I rented a property in Dublin, I'm locking my doors.

According to: numbeo
Dublin ranks 13th in the worst place in Europe for crime.

Looking at then rankings, Carlo has already managed in 3 of the worst cities in Europe for crime, Naples (2nd), Turin (4th), and Paris (8th). Let's not also forget London (20th), and Milan (30th).

Liverpool?

55th (right next to Limerick, Ireland).
Spot on about Dublin. I had my hands in my pockets anytime I was in a packed room. It’s a hive for thiefs. The Artful Dodger would have been in his element there.

Talking about small town Ireland generally though. We don’t have the same extent of petty crime that exists in England. The US is on another level altogether. Everyone armed to the teeth. A mass shooting is greeted with a “meh”. Ireland is very rural and community based. I had never seen bars on ground floor windows, or perspex screens in shops. Liverpool was an enormous shock to the system. Fantastic friendly people, but there is an undercurrent of crime committed by scallies and organised criminal groups. In the north of Ireland we’ve had the troubles, but really that can skew perceptions (especially when you see bombs/shootings in the news).

Last edited:
It’s absolutely pathetic.

I had no idea that so many adults actually believed the nonsense that those in football spout.

Rooney was the one that made me understand… I was about 13 when he left.

The fact that some people well into their 40s, 50s and beyond still haven’t grasped what modern football is all about is staggering and embarrassing in equal measure.

Fully agree. I mean between koeman and ancelotti they have been managers at 22 different clubs.
There is the odd exception. We have one now at the club. Duncan ferguson.

Status
Not open for further replies.