2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's an actual manager. He knows not conceding is number one priority. And I don't mean that in a sam Allardyce way. He sets the team out to score but has been working tirelessly to sort the defence and even has put the shids on Pickfored by letting it be known he doesn't sign goalkeepers to meet a quota Olsen is there to take his spot if it comes to it. He actually manages. Not like these fakers 'I'm all about the purity of attack and have a philosophy that I only double down on when things go pear shaped' hipster charlatans like Martinez and Silva.

Like I said he actually manages.

And as I said, the 4 centre backs has worked every time we've played it in the league. 5 wins out of 5. Very difficult to break down and get behind, but not great going forward. Why did it come as such a shock that it worked again? And yes, Digne is a full back, but he is absolute quality. Why is it any surprise that he showed that quality in midfield plus, as i said, it brought a balance to the team we rarely see due to our lack of left footers. You say no strikers, but the system we played was 1 striker and a No10. And as I said, our number 10 is one of the best in the world at that role.

I get what you're saying and I agree that the majority of people in here were pessimistic. I had a different opinion so I'm challenging that majority view, hence the opening question in my original post. I wasn't having a go at you personally, I just used your post to pose the question. As you can see from my pre match post yesterday, my only concern was that we weren't reverting to 3 at the back. I did also have reservations about picking Siggy up front, but kept them to myself for fear of upsetting the Carlo Protection Society :)

I see what you're saying for sure. I still can't help but think 4CBs is just a temporary thing that is working for us due to the circumstances, I think it will still have a place for us away from home in the future though.

I'd defo stick with Holgate at RB for the time being, but if we have Digne, Richarlison and DCL all fit then sorry Ben Godfrey, as good as he's been we have to play Digne at LB with a fully fit squad. Allan and Doucoure will provide the cover, he links up so well with Richarlison and James on the switch and of course some of those crosses he put in against Wolves... DCL would have bagged one of them for sure.

I think as a winger he had space because our 2 forwards were withdrawn and pulling players towards them, when we have an actual striker he's gonna need someone like Richarlison ahead of him to create that space on the over/underlap.

I see what you're saying for sure. I still can't help but think 4CBs is just a temporary thing that is working for us due to the circumstances, I think it will still have a place for us away from home in the future though.

I'd defo stick with Holgate at RB for the time being, but if we have Digne, Richarlison and DCL all fit then sorry Ben Godfrey, as good as he's been we have to play Digne at LB with a fully fit squad. Allan and Doucoure will provide the cover, he links up so well with Richarlison and James on the switch and of course some of those crosses he put in against Wolves... DCL would have bagged one of them for sure.

I think as a winger he had space because our 2 forwards were withdrawn and pulling players towards them, when we have an actual striker he's gonna need someone like Richarlison ahead of him to create that space on the over/underlap.
Yeah I agree Digne starts whenever he's fit. But left mid is another option now. We have some difficult away games second half of the season and flat back 4 with Digne left mid can work. Also the system 4411 with James in number 10 role.

A few have commented on noticeable improvements in quite a few players; does his son have much input there do you think?

Yeah I agree Digne starts whenever he's fit. But left mid is another option now. We have some difficult away games second half of the season and flat back 4 with Digne left mid can work. Also the system 4411 with James in number 10 role.

It's defo an option now for sure, personally I would reserve it for DCL being out and having to play Richarlison or heaven forbid Sigurdsson again through the middle, but with both DCL and Richy, I'd want Digne in his best position.

We asre also told Richarlinson wants to play centrally and in honesty DCL needs a rest more often. Playing Digne left allows us that flexibility. Some tough away games, the same team structure but with DCL/Richarlinson at the front end would work very well, particularly if we are counter attacking.

This is the second time in the club's entire history that we have a manager who is more famous than the club. The brilliant thing, this time, though, is that this is the first time in the club's history that we have a manager more famous than the club...for his achievements, not as a player, but as a manager.

That, to me, is a significant measure of our progress under Moshiri. In 2016, he wanted a name - and he got a name, albeit, sadly, one more famous for his playing ability than his managerial ability. This time we got it right. In sexist tennis terms, Koeman was Anna Kournikova to Ancelotti's Chris Evert.

A few have commented on noticeable improvements in quite a few players; does his son have much input there do you think?
From what I've read and heard his son is very, very hands-on regarding the tactical side of the game.

Carlo is more your arm round the shoulder kinda manager, makes you feel 8 foot tall.

This is the second time in the club's entire history that we have a manager who is more famous than the club. The brilliant thing, this time, though, is that this is the first time in the club's history that we have a manager more famous than the club...for his achievements, not as a player, but as a manager.

That, to me, is a significant measure of our progress under Moshiri. In 2016, he wanted a name - and he got a name, albeit, sadly, one more famous for his playing ability than his managerial ability. This time we got it right. In sexist tennis terms, Koeman was Anna Kournikova to Ancelotti's Chris Evert.
Mate Big Fat was more famous. Its infamy. Still fame.

We asre also told Richarlinson wants to play centrally and in honesty DCL needs a rest more often. Playing Digne left allows us that flexibility. Some tough away games, the same team structure but with DCL/Richarlinson at the front end would work very well, particularly if we are counter attacking.
Not being sarky here, but what exactly do you mean by “we are also told”? Have you got a hotline to Carlo? Or have you gleaned this from reading GOT? Asking for a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.