2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joke he's still picking Pickfraud.

In years gone by there were only a handful of keepers you thought its going to be tough today as he's a top keeper. Not many around today. But its now the opposite with pickford. I think teams know they can score against him. Get an error from him. There is no fear at all from opposition teams facing pickford. Quite the reverse.

In years gone by there were only a handful of keepers you thought its going to be tough today as he's a top keeper. Not many around today. But its now the opposite with pickford. I think teams know they can score against him. Get an error from him. There is no fear at all from opposition teams facing pickford. Quite the reverse.
It's a shame mate. I was really behind him after his 1st season with us. But since then not only has he not improved but his issues have become increasingly blatant and he doesn't look to have addressed them. Same poor dicision making every week, makes it easy for teams to target him.

When a manager comes in it’s not because the team is going well is it.
Carlo has a squad of dross in which previous managers have been given the bullet because of their inability to be decent.
Rome wasn’t built in a day. I also get that we are impatient and want success now. God we’ve waited long enough!
Carlo needs time. He’s trying to tweak rubbish.

We've lost to too many gash teams though that's the issue. We could plummet down the table next month as we face more of the big boys. Its very alarming.
Man United
Leeds
Southampton
Newcastle

Seriously disrespectful to say they’re all gash teams no matter how much you wanna back Everton, Newcastle aside the other three will take points off bigger teams than us this season without a doubt.

You might be right, we may plummet but put the crystal ball away and back the team and manager, stick the ore in when it happens if it makes you feel better but for now, we’re 10 games in and 2 points offchampions league.

Wash
Man United
Leeds
Southampton
Newcastle

Seriously disrespectful to say they’re all gash teams no matter how much you wanna back Everton, Newcastle aside the other three will take points off bigger teams than us this season without a doubt.

You might be right, we may plummet but put the crystal ball away and back the team and manager, stick the ore in when it happens if it makes you feel better but for now, we’re 10 games in and 2 points offchampions league.
Bigger teams than Everton?
Wash your mouth put with soap matey
There are no bigger or better clubs than Everton
That’s why we support and love/hate them so much
I take your point though

Man United
Leeds
Southampton
Newcastle

Bar Utd I expect my team to be beating them mate or at the very least be competitive. We were steam rolled in 3 of those. Not good enough.

The Spitter pointed out the problem with the midfield again just now.

Doucoure, Allan, Richy all made Kalvin Phillips look like Pirlo popping balls down either channel against our non-fullbacks. No one really engaged with him all game and spend a large chunk jockying space to keep a shape.

The same happened against Fulham. No one engaged play so they played little one twos between in the lines as we held a shape.

Personally still think he needs that holding midfield player who's robust but will to sit and barely step over the halfway line. It just allows more freedom to engage play for the rest of the team.

At the moment, the sides looking decent tend to have that player that rarely ventures forward. You look at Hojberg, Kovacic, Kante, Rodri, Wjinaldum...none of them barely set foot outside the centre circle.

Last edited:
The biggest issue is that Carlo favours the limited man-orientated press. The front three press the oppositions defenders with one or two of the midfield joining in. That tactic is now completely out-dated. Teams are now coached to play out of the press. So just pressing the player in possession and the over loading surrounding area takes three or four players out of the game.

When three or four players press the rest of the team drop in to a low to mid block. When the opposition play through the press they end up with huge amounts of the pitch to break into before we engage.

The game has moved on Bielsa's teams defend in a man orientated way, but they go man to man all over the pitch meaning there is no space to break into. The likes of Guardiola's teams press space. When the front players press the whole team presses. They compress space and looking to block off the passing lanes.

Both Bielsa and Guardiola look to suffocate the opposition.

Carlo looks to rely on the opposition failing to pass through the initial press the way Fulham did. If that fails he hopes the defenders will bail us out. Ideally we score first and then drop off and look for the individual brilliance of DCL, Richi and Hamez.

We end up with a huge gap between our defence and attack. To compensate the midfield runs itself into the ground for an hour, and then we get overrun.

Id disagree with this. The new style may not be as rigid a template as Pep’s tiki taka or Klopp’s pressing game but there’s no doubt in my mind that under Ancelotti we are trying to play a completely different way than we did before with far more of the ball on the deck

Koeman and Silva were 433 managers with pressing from the front, a high defensive line, a number 10 in behind, and two deeper lying midfielders. We often went long and chased into the corners, and we marked zonal.

We’re now trying to play out from the back far more. We don’t set up with a classic number 10 in 433. Our main striker isn’t moving much outside the width of the box. Our defence is sat deep but are encouraged to play out (sometimes to our detriment), and our set piece defence is completely different. It may be fair to say that Ancelotti is more of a pragmatist in that he flexes his style to the players he has (rather than shoehorning them into his template formation) but I don’t buy that Ancelotti’s football hasn’t required a transition from why we played under Koeman, Allardyce and Silva. It’s completely different in my view.

Totally agree...

The Spitter pointed out the problem with the midfield again just now.

Doucoure, Allan, Richy all made Kalvin Phillips look like Pirlo popping balls down either channel against our non-fullbacks. No one really engaged with him all game and spend a large chunk jockying space to keep a shape.

The same happened against Fulham. No one engaged play so they played little one twos between in the lines as we held a shape.

Personally still think he needs that holding midfield player who's robust but will to sit and barely step over the halfway line. It just allows more freedom to engage play for the rest of the team.

At the moment, the sides looking decent tend to have that player that rarely ventures forward. You look at Hojberg, Kovacic, Kante, Rodri, Wjinaldum...none of them barely set foot outside the centre circle.

Could be that Hojbjerg was going to be in addition to Allan and Doucoure but we used the cash on Godfrey instead.

Gbamin seems to be the one to fill the anchor role...

The thing is that even with those three in the 11 we have no one able to compete wjth them on the bench...so we need another 2 midfielders if we play with a 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.