2019/20 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Carlo has taken the decision since the restart that next season is everything and every remaining game we had is just a experiment to see who he can mould into a competent player in a 4-4-2, which is quite clearly the way we are going to go.

We clearly don't have enough players comfortable in this formation to be playing it, so the fact that we are playing it in every game (Wolves aside) shows that his mind is made up and he's just seeing now which players he already has that can be salvaged from the wreckage that is our squad. Michael Keane is a good example of this although there obviously haven't been too many others.

Will be very interesting to see how he builds the midfield in a 4-4-2 though. Will he sign two combative, box to box wide players and put two typical wide players in to provide width or will he try and recreate a beta version of his Milan team with a very narrow midfield diamond. Andre Gomes may possibly have a chance to reinvent himself in a midfield diamond but I see no hope for him in a midfield two.

Many decisions for Carlo to make but I'm very confident that he will find the right balance.

Within five years Ancelotti has gone from winning the CL with Madrid to watching Everton play hoofball to Theo Walcott on a monday evening in Sheffield

Today showed us how much work rate matters and why we need to bring in someone that can give us that in the middle week in and week out.

Status
Not open for further replies.