2019/20 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't improve the players though. We had a new manager bounce when big Dunc took over and then a bounce when Carlo took over. That is normal.

That didn't last, and we ended the season in poor form. Two points from 3 home games against Villa, Southampton and Bournemouth is poor.

As for the midfield playing a 4-4-2 which left us a player short in midfield was Carlo's choice. He has inherited one of the most expensive squads in the League and should be beating the likes of Villa and Bournemouth at Goodison.
In fairness to him though, it's hard getting a tune out of this lot, there's only a handful of them with proper quality and mentality. the rest all reverted to type, not arsed mode as nothing to play for, they don't have professional pride.

He didn't improve the players though. We had a new manager bounce when big Dunc took over and then a bounce when Carlo took over. That is normal.

That didn't last, and we ended the season in poor form. Two points from 3 home games against Villa, Southampton and Bournemouth is poor.

As for the midfield playing a 4-4-2 which left us a player short in midfield was Carlo's choice. He has inherited one of the most expensive squads in the League and should be beating the likes of Villa and Bournemouth at Goodison.
I’d argue he did improved the defenders and the strikers, granted it was more the overall improvement of the team rather than individuals but that what was needed to get us out the poo, as others have said there’s only so much you can do with these players, doesn’t matter how expensive they were the fact is the majority of them are genuine no hopers and wouldnt look out of place in the championship.

You dont give a Michelin stared chef a tin of spam and expect Michelin stared food, there’s a limit to what you can do and the fact Anchelotti had this team in the top 10 on form since he’s been here is remarkable when we comfortable have one of the worst squads in the league

And he did improve the players he had at his disposal, it’s the main reason we didn’t get sucked into the relegation battle but there’s only so much he can do with this bunch of dossers, he’s not Jesus Christ, he can’t turn water into wine. As it stands I doubt there’s a worse midfield in the league than ours same can be said for the keeper, unless he gets the funds to sort that out there’ll always be a limit to want we can do
Did you see any of the last 10 games???

Inheriting one of the most expensive squads means absolute diddly squat. The only reason they are expensive is because we are morons in the transfer market. They are not expensive because they're any bleedin good. He can pin the likes of iwobi up against the wall at 2.50pm and tell him he cost 30m. He'll still go out and play like a 3m player because thats what he is.
I'll tell you exactly what he's inherited. 4 years of awful awful recruitment on players who have the combination of lack of talent and lack of desire, but are picking up salaries in some cases of top 4 level.
Ancelotti is no long term thing. But every single one of these frauds were brought in by a couple of idiots who have never done a thing as a manager. He called them out after wolves. Attitude ALL wrong. But the 80-100k a week brigade are hanging on in there because no other club would be giving them that and they know it.
The only thing i would like from ancelloti over the next two years is to replace at least 7 or 8 of the awful errors we have made in the transfer market. And give a hand over to someone else with something to work with. Unlike he has.

Inheriting one of the most expensive squads means absolute diddly squat. The only reason they are expensive is because we are morons in the transfer market. They are not expensive because they're any bleedin good. He can pin the likes of iwobi up against the wall at 2.50pm and tell him he cost 30m. He'll still go out and play like a 3m player because thats what he is.
I'll tell you exactly what he's inherited. 4 years of awful awful recruitment on players who have the combination of lack of talent and lack of desire, but are picking up salaries in some cases of top 4 level.
Ancelotti is no long term thing. But every single one of these frauds were brought in by a couple of idiots who have never done a thing as a manager. He called them out after wolves. Attitude ALL wrong. But the 80-100k a week brigade are hanging on in there because no other club would be giving them that and they know it.
The only thing i would like from ancelloti over the next two years is to replace at least 7 or 8 of the awful errors we have made in the transfer market. And give a hand over to someone else with something to work with. Unlike he has.
Well said and they're reasonable expectations.

There's a few fans out there who might be expecting the Europa next season or maybe the odd one dreaming CL, and we might have but for the pandemic. We will be tightening our belts and this will be a slow recovery, with us hopefully looking for players we can add value to, not ones on the decline, this generally means not paying a fortune for them.

I don't think Ancelotti will be here for the full contract and Gilbert is correct it should all be about Ancelotti trying to build a solid base for the future instead of going out and spending big on risky players.

Well said and they're reasonable expectations.

There's a few fans out there who might be expecting the Europa next season or maybe the odd one dreaming CL, and we might have but for the pandemic. We will be tightening our belts and this will be a slow recovery, with us hopefully looking for players we can add value to, not ones on the decline, this generally means not paying a fortune for them.

I don't think Ancelotti will be here for the full contract and Gilbert is correct it should all be about Ancelotti trying to build a solid base for the future instead of going out and spending big on risky players.

I think it will be for his future not some other manager.

I’ll dig out the article tomorrow

Its ok ive got it for you.

"Lukaku had a promise that if certain clubs came this summer that he could leave this summer," Raiola told talkSPORT.

"We are not in concrete talks with anybody at this moment, but hearing the market I think some clubs will contact Everton. If the price is right for Everton and the project is right for Lukaku then I think he will want to make another step, but we are not there yet."

Ancelotti is on record not only with us but over his career saying he wants to have a long term project to build a side.

If we back him as best we can and he can improve the side each window then he'll stay and probably even extend his contract.

Remember as well that Ancelotti was a midfielder. Hes done really well with Holgate, DCL, Richarlison, Digne, Gordon and possibly Kean. Not one midfielder as yet.

I expect he'll be rapidly able to change the team over this and next summer to something competitive towards the top.

Im not expecting too much this coming season.

Ancelotti is on record not only with us but over his career saying he wants to have a long term project to build a side.

If we back him as best we can and he can improve the side each window then he'll stay and probably even extend his contract.

Remember as well that Ancelotti was a midfielder. Hes done really well with Holgate, DCL, Richarlison, Digne, Gordon and possibly Kean. Not one midfielder as yet.

I expect he'll be rapidly able to change the team over this and next summer to something competitive towards the top.

Im not expecting too much this coming season.

Carlo had the perfect opportunity to build a side. He was at PSG with pretty much an unlimited budget and the chance to mould a side in his own image. He walked away to go to Madrid. You go to Madrid and you know you will not get the chance to build anything and will be out as soon as things go wrong.

Regarding midfield, it is really hard to improve midfield players when you go in a player short. If you are playing a central midfield two against the oppositions three then they are always going to be up against it. Ancelotti was originally a forward thinking coach a disciple of Sachi who played a flat back four when most Italian coaches were playing with a 5 at the back and including a libero.

He played with a narrow 4 in midfield and two up front which meant he had an extra man in the middle of the park. The game has changed though and teams now favour a 4-3-3 in possession which changes to a 4-5-1 when defending. Ancelotti's teams are now a man short in midfield.

That is most evident when we try and play it out from the back. With DCL and Richarlison isolated up the pitch it is far too easy for the opposition to cut off our passing lanes.

For 4-4-2 to work in the modern era you need a couple of exceptional central midfield players. You can get away with it to an extent at PSG, Madrid and Bayern because you have exceptional talent to work with.

At Napoli it didn't work. He dismantled Sarri's 4-3-3 and took Napoli backwards. Carlo's man orientated pressing and narrow 4-4-2 needs really athletic midfield players and the likes of Siggi, Gomes and Davies have really struggled with it. So we have two alternatives play a system that suits the players we have or take a punt on bringing in players that suit a 4-4-2.

The worry is that doing the latter could mean we end up with limited players like Holberg who we were strongly linked with. Players that aren't really creative enough to play in a central 3. To move forward we need to have the creativity to break down the likes of Villa, Southampton and Bournemouth at home. Looking to bring in the likes of Holberg and Allan isn't going to address that.

Carlo had the perfect opportunity to build a side. He was at PSG with pretty much an unlimited budget and the chance to mould a side in his own image. He walked away to go to Madrid. You go to Madrid and you know you will not get the chance to build anything and will be out as soon as things go wrong.

Regarding midfield, it is really hard to improve midfield players when you go in a player short. If you are playing a central midfield two against the oppositions three then they are always going to be up against it. Ancelotti was originally a forward thinking coach a disciple of Sachi who played a flat back four when most Italian coaches were playing with a 5 at the back and including a libero.

He played with a narrow 4 in midfield and two up front which meant he had an extra man in the middle of the park. The game has changed though and teams now favour a 4-3-3 in possession which changes to a 4-5-1 when defending. Ancelotti's teams are now a man short in midfield.

That is most evident when we try and play it out from the back. With DCL and Richarlison isolated up the pitch it is far too easy for the opposition to cut off our passing lanes.

For 4-4-2 to work in the modern era you need a couple of exceptional central midfield players. You can get away with it to an extent at PSG, Madrid and Bayern because you have exceptional talent to work with.

At Napoli it didn't work. He dismantled Sarri's 4-3-3 and took Napoli backwards. Carlo's man orientated pressing and narrow 4-4-2 needs really athletic midfield players and the likes of Siggi, Gomes and Davies have really struggled with it. So we have two alternatives play a system that suits the players we have or take a punt on bringing in players that suit a 4-4-2.

The worry is that doing the latter could mean we end up with limited players like Holberg who we were strongly linked with. Players that aren't really creative enough to play in a central 3. To move forward we need to have the creativity to break down the likes of Villa, Southampton and Bournemouth at home. Looking to bring in the likes of Holberg and Allan isn't going to address that.

Theres also a benefit to having 2 forwards up top.

Also i take the opposite view on centre mids in a 2. Why cant they create chances themselves?

Youre saying Vieira / Petit didnt create chances through box to box play? Id also say that 2 having 2 tackle machines in the middle doesnt necessarily limit their ability to take the ball forward (Allan) nor impact creativity from full backs or wide midfielders.

Also were 442 in defence...in posession weve tried several tweaks...the 442 has been far more effective than what weve seen previously.

We could play any formation but the problem is that the players we have simply dont have the ability to adapt.

The players need to be recycled.

@gwladysnight also i dont understand your point on Hojbjerg or Allan.

You mention Allan and Hojbjerg not being creative enough to break down teams.

I dont get what point youre making? You would prefer a playmaker in the middle or you just dont like 442 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.