Captain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? I seem to recall many voicing the opposite opinion at the time.
Well I’m not going to argue the point but 380 odd games for efc ,captained England, scored one of my favourite goals ever I think jags was a very decent captain and leader overall. Thinking back and being honest though I do now you’ve mentioned it remember he didn’t seem to like confrontation and stayed out of it on some occasions ? so you do have a point

We have not had a proper captain for years, someone who challenges every decision rightly or wrongly, someone permanently in the refs face, someone who when the ref looks at his next feature thinks "I hope their captain isn't playing".

He does not have to be a brilliant player, and we should not be making him captain to bolster his salary.

Simply a leader who takes no prisoners, especially the ref!!!!!

Anyone who thinks Coleman is ok as a captain needs to really look at what he does....

He is a bluff merchant. Reminds me of a school team captain - all show and supposed professionalism.

I want a nasty piece of work who will tell the players exactly what they need to be told.

I was never a big Phil Neville fan generally but he knew how to captain a team. Absolutely no half measures if one of the lads were not doing their job - right in their ear.

We need to buy a captain.

We have some players in the team who would do better under a proper leader.

Allan, Doucore, DCL.... No. Good players and do their jobs but I'm looking at a proper leader. Someone prepared to be unpopular, because that's what it's gonna take. A Roy Keane character who isn't bothered about mixing and playing golf - but the second you walk on the training pitch there is no laughing and joking...... Save that for after, then on match day he's looking at you in the eye and testing you to see if you are on it, and if not he's challenging you.

If you recruit players who have strong mentalities generally, the issue of on-field leadership becomes moot.

The NEED for a strong, inspiring leader is greatest in teams or organisations where the general standards are poor. We have all said for a very long time that there is a noticeably weak group mentality in the Everton squad, and it has remained in place despite dozens of players coming and going over the last few years. A strong captain can alleviate some of the problems temporarily, but all that does is buy you a little time to ship out the weak links and bring in replacements.

Whilst a stronger captain would definitely help in the short term, the more complete fix is to pay more attention to personalities and psychological indicators when recruiting players. Mina, Godfrey, Allan, Doucoure, Townsend all have the "right" mentalities, as far as can be established from watching them on the tv. Richarlison has most of the raw materials but can be a bit immature, and I'd say the same about Digne. Gray and DCL show signs of being made of the right stuff BUT it wasn't that long ago Gray was seen throughout the game as a waster - thankfully he seems to be knuckling down and letting his football do the talking. The rest of the squad though? I worry.
Spot on! I think we recruit players by watching their YouTube videos. They need to watch players to see how they react when the going gets tough. Strong characters don't need a 'strong leader'. We need more players demanding better performances from their underperforming team mates. They need a bollocking, not a high five. At the minute, Mina for me. He doesn't mind upsetting people but preferably a new face in January.

people putting too much emphasis on the captains role, a leader will still come forth without an armband. Our lot don't like responsibility.
Nonsense @Terrarian, we need a captain to carry on the excellent work of the past few excellent captains we have had.
Marvellous role models who face the press fearlessly and say in well phrased and mannered, with a steady voice and dignified tone, to correctly address the articulate message of 'How that defeat really hurt and that we are doing everything we can to not repeat the mistakes'.
Or words similar. Can anybody else smell bull++++?

We see it week in and week out, there are no natural leaders within the present squad. We need someone who won’t settle for players going through the motions, we need someone who is willing to tell a few home truths. Can you imagine Peter Reid playing with our current crop, he would be apoplectic with rage, someone would be getting chinned.

Spot on! I think we recruit players by watching their YouTube videos. They need to watch players to see how they react when the going gets tough. Strong characters don't need a 'strong leader'. We need more players demanding better performances from their underperforming team mates. They need a bollocking, not a high five. At the minute, Mina for me. He doesn't mind upsetting people but preferably a new face in January.
Management never obviously see Mina as Captain material as he never been given it when Coleman or Siggy out, its usually gone to Digne or even Holgate a couple of times. Would imagine his demeanour is not right for Captaincy, never hear him shouting at his team mates.

Management never obviously see Mina as Captain material as he never been given it when Coleman or Siggy out, its usually gone to Digne or even Holgate a couple of times. Would imagine his demeanour is not right for Captaincy, never hear him shouting at his team mates.
To be fair, never saw them shouting at anyone either. Honestly, we're too nice. Nobody is prepared to shout or blame anyone. I hate to say it, but our shirt means more to us than it does those who are getting paid obscene amounts of money to not give a toss!

We see it week in and week out, there are no natural leaders within the present squad. We need someone who won’t settle for players going through the motions, we need someone who is willing to tell a few home truths. Can you imagine Peter Reid playing with our current crop, he would be apoplectic with rage, someone would be getting chinned.
I swear I remember Reidy taking the ball off our own player ( not sure who) and pushing him away. Might be 'auld git false rememberences' but I can see it in my mind's eye. In my lifetime, the best Evertonian that graced the shirt!

Every position on the pitch should have captains, it’s what all successful teams have. The defence, midfield and attack should all have captains either through a player‘s communication, ability or through the desire and effort shown on the pitch as a marker to any other player who might want to coast. The premier league is the quickest and most athletic league in the world and if you don’t have the pace and strength then you need positioning, concentration and awareness to succeed instead. These attributes are lacking everywhere in the squad so I wouldn’t have a captain at all, just another excuse for whoever has the armband to implode.
As it’s necessary, as dictated by premier league rules, I would give it to Keane or Pickford to make them concentrate for 85 minutes at least.

Every position on the pitch should have captains, it’s what all successful teams have. The defence, midfield and attack should all have captains either through a player‘s communication, ability or through the desire and effort shown on the pitch as a marker to any other player who might want to coast. The premier league is the quickest and most athletic league in the world and if you don’t have the pace and strength then you need positioning, concentration and awareness to succeed instead. These attributes are lacking everywhere in the squad so I wouldn’t have a captain at all, just another excuse for whoever has the armband to implode.
As it’s necessary, as dictated by premier league rules, I would give it to Keane or Pickford to make them concentrate for 85 minutes at least.
To me, the captain's armband is just a 'marker' for the team. Nice captain, nice team. Snidey captain, snidey team. Fed up being the nice guys whilst the others laugh with the points under their belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.