Captain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every position on the pitch should have captains, it’s what all successful teams have. The defence, midfield and attack should all have captains either through a player‘s communication, ability or through the desire and effort shown on the pitch as a marker to any other player who might want to coast. The premier league is the quickest and most athletic league in the world and if you don’t have the pace and strength then you need positioning, concentration and awareness to succeed instead. These attributes are lacking everywhere in the squad so I wouldn’t have a captain at all, just another excuse for whoever has the armband to implode.
As it’s necessary, as dictated by premier league rules, I would give it to Keane or Pickford to make them concentrate for 85 minutes at least.
Keane as captain!! He’d be like the manager of the holiday camp in Hi De Hi telling someone off, captain no, choirboy or altar boy definitely!!

Are you trying to say he spent his childhood in the church?….. well blow me. Not literally mind you. Thanks Vicar.
City Slicker ( Vicar)!! No don’t know where he spent his childhood but he is a good Catholic boy, unfortunately not very good at football. Thanks Clarky cat(holic)

I don't think who the captain is really matters that much anymore

Liverpool's captain is Henderson and he's pretty much their worst player. Hasn't stopped them winning trophies

The last captain you can really point to as being the big driving force for the teams success would probably be Kompany at City, but that was more because he was an elite player on top of being a good leader

Have to disagree with you there...

Refer to the Watford game were absolutely no-one took charge, no-one ensured we don't concede soft goals, no-one got in the referee's face given they had an absolute mare

Have a look when the third goal went in, no words, no figure pointing, just heads down walking back, no encouragement on the pitch

We need a leader, we don't have one at the moment, the big bloke on the sidelines can shout as much as he wants, its on the pitch where it matters, in the faces of our own players if we don't take ownership, or in a strop

Have to disagree with you there...

Refer to the Watford game were absolutely no-one took charge, no-one ensured we don't concede soft goals, no-one got in the referee's face given they had an absolute mare

Have a look when the third goal went in, no words, no figure pointing, just heads down walking back, no encouragement on the pitch

We need a leader, we don't have one at the moment, the big bloke on the sidelines can shout as much as he wants, its on the pitch where it matters, in the faces of our own players if we don't take ownership, or in a strop
Very true, but I think the point is that there should be a lot of others shouting without the need for a single person to do it. We need several leaders with a spine and a bit of pride, not just a captain. We need new players (as just about everyone has pointed out). I suppose one leader as Captain would be a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.