Captain

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need more leaders on the pitch, whether they are captain or not is an irrelevance to me. We need players who take responsibility and make others take responsibility either by example or by actively forcing other them to do so. Too many of our players disappear when things get tough.

We need more leaders on the pitch, whether they are captain or not is an irrelevance to me. We need players who take responsibility and make others take responsibility either by example or by actively forcing other them to do so. Too many of our players disappear when things get tough.
It's funny, because over recent years we have had all kinds of international captains and/or players with hundreds and hundreds of Premier League appearances, yet still seemingly been leaderless in our entire squad: Rooney, Sigurdsson, Howard, Coleman, Williams, Coleman, Jagielka, Neville, etc, etc. A shame really. Compare all of them to one Steven Gerrard from across the park who almost single-handedly won them lot about seven major trophies. Sickening!

To be fair, never saw them shouting at anyone either. Honestly, we're too nice. Nobody is prepared to shout or blame anyone. I hate to say it, but our shirt means more to us than it does those who are getting paid obscene amounts of money to not give a toss!
I've seen and heard Holgate shouting at them on the pitch but he hardly one to pick on anyone's mistakes, maybe that's why him and Richy had that bost up in the dressing room after the last match last season,
Maybe he picked on the wrong man ?

I’m wondering how fit Dunc might still be, I’m sure he could be just as useful as fat Sal. At least we’d have someone on the pitch to get in underperforming players’ faces.

Never forgot that image of Ray Wilkins giving Trevor Francis in an earful that World Cup game in Spain 82, telling him to get stuck in and stop fannying around. I never see that from our captain these days, whoever it might be.

I don't believe it is, can you say we have had a captain to the standards of other clubs?

We have probably had one of the weakest in the prem for years

I don't think who the captain is really matters that much anymore

Liverpool's captain is Henderson and he's pretty much their worst player. Hasn't stopped them winning trophies

The last captain you can really point to as being the big driving force for the teams success would probably be Kompany at City, but that was more because he was an elite player on top of being a good leader

We see it week in and week out, there are no natural leaders within the present squad. We need someone who won’t settle for players going through the motions, we need someone who is willing to tell a few home truths. Can you imagine Peter Reid playing with our current crop, he would be apoplectic with rage, someone would be getting chinned.

I'd absolutely love to know how reid would have handled iwobi playing alongside him.
Some mad comments in here about no importance of a captain now. If EVER a squad needed a voice and someone to show an example its this current bunch.

It’s properly overblown how important a captain is these days

Reckon the reason city won the league last year was down to Fernandinho getting the armband?

Nope. I reckon the world class expensive squad did. Not every club has that luxury

Would anyone else like a change of captain? I know it won’t happen this season.

But personally I think coleman is a good club captain (in and around club helping youth etc), but having the likes of digne/holgate/glyfi/davies(silva era) doesn’t sit well with me. I’d much rather have someone to else take the captaincy next year as match day captain it’s worked for a few clubs. I know this will divide opinion but personally I think a change could be a good thing.
The last time we saw an interview with Brands he called out Holgate as a future captain. Says it all about his grasp on players and their character. Massive dosser.

I've seen and heard Holgate shouting at them on the pitch but he hardly one to pick on anyone's mistakes, maybe that's why him and Richy had that bost up in the dressing room after the last match last season,
Maybe he picked on the wrong man ?
Which bust up was that?

I’m amazed the optimum captain-in-waiting hasn’t been mentioned.
Think fearsome, committed, respected, full-blooded and the one you’d want in the trenches with you...think WOBES.

Close thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.