Captain Sensible

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what you are saying. But a captain does not have to be a shouter. Jags plays as a good example to others. Hardly misses a game. As long as he talks the players around the pitch then he is ok to continue.

Naismith has won me over. But there is no way I would have him captain. If you are going down the vocal avenue I remember Seamus having a right go at Phil Neville for not playing him in. He had only just got into the first team then. So if it was to be taken off Jags maybe Seamus is the man.

Love him to bits but It's patently obvious that Jags is too soft to be captain.

I know it may not be too popular but my choice would be Naismith. It's not about being the best player in the side, it's about setting an example and making sure the slackers are in no doubt they are not fighting for the cause, and no one, bar Bešić (and possibly Osman) seems to have the same grit to do that. OK, I was impressed with Tim Howard when he laid into those still lying on the floor after Stoke's second goal, but I've never been in favour of a GK as captain and, to be honest, TH shouldn't really be in the side.

Say what you like about Phil Neville, he was that sort of captain too.

So who's your choice, and why?

Think you're spot on here. Lack of a leader on the pitch is astounding really-- but is there really an alternative? Probably McArthy, gets stuck in, leads by example in terms of work rate and sticks up for the players. And would have a word with the ref here and there.

We have no leaders on the pitch. Does Jags strike you as a leader? He never has to me, we have no snides in the side either, i reckon Besic has a bit of bite in him as well as Ross, but neither look like they're going to terrify the opposition.

Youre right. Jags is Mr Nice Guy...but unfortunately not really suited to being skipper given whats required on the pitch. He always looks distracted to me....as though hes worrying whether or not he turned the gas off before he left the house. He needs to get his mindset straight if hes going to pull this team up by its bootlaces and galvanise them for the fight were in now. I just hope to God hes up to it.

Barkley. What better tonic for a confidence player? Local too. I'd give him it in the summer.

mccarthy - his interview before the stoke game came across very well, extra responsibility might make him step up too

I was waiting for someone to say Barkley tbh. Maybe in the future. He is too young and still has plenty to learn in his own game for now.

I wouldn't have Naismith in the starting line up at the moment (subs bench, fine). Some of the problems we have had this season are down to Roberto shoe-horning Naismith into the team at the expense of more talented players being played out of position. I admire his passion and effort but I am getting rather fed up with the Glaswegian fighting man routine.

It'll be hard to take the captaincy from Jags and still leave him in the team, I think. Could cause some strife, even though I don't think Jags is that kind of guy. And seeing as he's our first (or second?) choice CB he's not going anywhere until we make more signings.

And to be fair I don't want him to. He's improved massively of late and him and Stones were looking solid, until Howard's reintroduction at least.

I'd pick McCarthy, swerve Jags off hes got no aggression whatsoever. JMc plays like a captain but seems a quiet lad so I duno mateee

Status
Not open for further replies.