Captain Sensible

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyphooToffee

Player Valuation: £60m
Love him to bits but It's patently obvious that Jags is too soft to be captain.

I know it may not be too popular but my choice would be Naismith. It's not about being the best player in the side, it's about setting an example and making sure the slackers are in no doubt they are not fighting for the cause, and no one, bar Bešić (and possibly Osman) seems to have the same grit to do that. OK, I was impressed with Tim Howard when he laid into those still lying on the floor after Stoke's second goal, but I've never been in favour of a GK as captain and, to be honest, TH shouldn't really be in the side.

Say what you like about Phil Neville, he was that sort of captain too.

So who's your choice, and why?

Not sure about Naismith, the captain should really be a player who, when fit, will be a starter for every game. Naismith, as important as he can be for some games, isn't that. Maybe someone like McCarthy instead would work.

Unless there's a change of manager there won't be a change of captain as he's not going to relinquish the armband.

My choice would be McCarthy. Your right about Naismiths attitude @TyphooToffee but he shouldn't be an automatic starter tbh so that rules him out for me

I can't say what I'd like about Captain Pip. There are laws of libel.

On the whole, don't want a mediocre player who should be plying his trade elsewhere, as captain. See what you mean though. On the pitch, Jagielka is too soft. Though who knows what skills he brings to the group behind the scenes.

McCarthy probably be a good captain given the chance. Naismith is vocal always in the action.
Jags is a poor captain and has got worse as the bad season has gone on and Stoke summed it up he crawled into a shell when the whistle went head down getting off the pitch as quick as he could

We have no leaders on the pitch. Does Jags strike you as a leader? He never has to me, we have no snides in the side either, i reckon Besic has a bit of bite in him as well as Ross, but neither look like they're going to terrify the opposition.

Yeah I can see the parallels between Naismith and Neville

Both have a surname beginning with N

Both have a crowd chant that begins "KOFF"

Both are played out of position

Both shouldn't be anywhere near the first team

Agree Naismith shouldn't be anywhere near the first team so no chance he should be captain.

People confuse players running around and looking angry as being a leader. Truth is none of us know what kind of a leader Jags is for Everton, as most of a Captain's work in professional football would be done outside of the 90 mins they spend on the pitch. If anything during this poor run of form, Jags has been one of the few players to consistently put in a good performance.

Jags is a true professional by all accounts and I've never heard anyone have a bad word about him, usually managers and coaches will praise his attitude and work rate.

I do think Everton need more character within the squad/starting 11, but let's not confuse what being a leader is all about.

Tbf...I have also started to think this might be a problem.

Not sure about Jags anymore. Stones is not ready, though.

Barry is good vice captain imo but not the answer.

McCarthy, Hes one of the only ones lately showing some fight and desire

The squad in general though lack a few leaders

Here's your next Everton Captain with his Manager right here below lads. I am sure all these esteemed Evertonians would agree:

@deipnosophist
@Prevenger17
@bainesontoast
@scorgie95
@bluemangroup
@The Equaliser
@Kiwi
@Mogwai
@ElGato
@EvertonAmerican
@JordanianEmbassy
@n01efc
@tim cahill
@the esk
@Tim's tourettes
@graeme2911
@Moomin
@a bell maul
@GreenTeddy

article-0-1AC3436200000578-889_634x485.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't think Naismith should be starting every game, although I value him as a squad player. I would say McCarthy, but he'll be off to Arsenal in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.