Can we end our away derby drought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I hope is that we have a proper go, Saturday will be our best opportunity to win there since they had Hodgson and that god-awful team from around 2012.

We should go 4-3-3 and have a real crack. Assuming Mina is injured and Allan is OK, this should be the team;

Olsen
Holgate Keane Godfrey Digne
Doucoure Davies Allan
Rodriguez Calvert-Lewin Richarlison

Please, no Sigurdsson in the same starting XI as Rodriguez.

As much as I wish I was wrong, there is absolutely no chance of us winning on Sunday. And it's not because of how good they are or how bad we are. It's because of history and mentality. Their ego will not let them lose this one. No matter what sort of terrible form they have been in, they will not allow it happen. Like a school bully who relentlessly takes pleasure in the misery of their victim, they will not stop, and they don't care what rules they break in making it happen.

We on the other hand, are the passive victim, who knows, despite advice to the contrary, that fighting back will only make things worse in the long run. And so, we swallow and accept and take it. For the greater good.

Even if we were riding the crest of a wave of an unbeaten run of games having just cruised past Fulham and securing a surprise but hard fought victory over all conquering City, that would not change. We are intimidated by their very presence, regardless of countless changes of managers and players. It runs so deep, that the very idea of them seems to make everyone associated with us crumble. And it's not a new thing either. Go back as far as the 60s, we have only won there i believe 6 or 7 times in all competitions. Almost 70 attempts.

If we did somehow manage to beat them, it would likely be a hard fought narrow victory with no small amount of luck involved, which we rarely have, and rather than signal a shift in power, would likely stoke a fire under them that would bring untold pain back at us in years to come.

Believe me, I'd love nothing more than an era defining mauling as they self destruct at the sight of James inspired masterclass, that destroys their arrogant swagger and reduces them to a babbling mess of insecurity and in fighting as they tumble down the league.

But it won't happen. I resigned myself to that fact a long, long time ago.

The fact that every word of this is true makes my soul ache.

Liverpool will be absolutely frothing at the mouth for Saturday. They’ve been looking forward to this game for months. In their minds, we ruined their season.

On top of that, there will be massive pressure on the officials to “make things right.” Maybe I should have more faith but I don’t see how we come out of this one with any points. I’ll be happy enough to avoid any injuries or red cards.

These will lose their heads on Saturday, I hope Pickford plays.
We will score a few, DCL will run them ragged.
I fancy us, we need cool heads including the ref.
COYB

Liverpool will be absolutely frothing at the mouth for Saturday. They’ve been looking forward to this game for months. In their minds, we ruined their season.

On top of that, there will be massive pressure on the officials to “make things right.” Maybe I should have more faith but I don’t see how we come out of this one with any points. I’ll be happy enough to avoid any injuries or red cards.
This suits us, I hope we take the piss and walk on the pitch with a wreath for St Virg

Liverpool are gonna turn someone over soon and knowing our luck it will he us. Our players just don’t seem to care.

Status
Not open for further replies.