Can we end our away derby drought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been dreading the derby for a while now (always do hate them to be honest). Their poor results just give me an even more ominous feeling. The media are bound to be replaying Pickford's challenge on VVD and Richarlison's on Thiago on a loop while a gaggle of 'totally impartial' experts go to great lengths to point out how those two injuries derailed their title defence. While at the same time whipping up a frenzy of anti Everton feeling so there should be no sympathy if a couple of our players get hurt because we'll only have ourselves to blame.
They will be up for it as always and will see us as the perfect springboard to get back on track.

But, do you know what? Despite all that and how abysmal we were against Fulham, I think we're going to beat them.

And yes, I should know better and I don't usually feel confident but I can't shake the feeling.

I've been dreading the derby for a while now (always do hate them to be honest). Their poor results just give me an even more ominous feeling. The media are bound to be replaying Pickford's challenge on VVD and Richarlison's on Thiago on a loop while a gaggle of 'totally impartial' experts go to great lengths to point out how those two injuries derailed their title defence. While at the same time whipping up a frenzy of anti Everton feeling so there should be no sympathy if a couple of our players get hurt because we'll only have ourselves to blame.
They will be up for it as always and will see us as the perfect springboard to get back on track.

But, do you know what? Despite all that and how abysmal we were against Fulham, I think we're going to beat them.

And yes, I should know better and I don't usually feel confident but I can't shake the feeling.
They can whip up what they like, nobody there. I think we will win as well. Conceding the title motivates no-one in his team.

With Liverpool falling apart at Leicester and having lost 3 on the bounce at home, is this the year we end our run of failing to win at Anfield? Our will we not be able to match what Burnley and Brighton have done in recent weeks and lose to end Liverpools bad run of form?
Yes

If you think that they will, then they will not

In Thinking they won’t, then they might

Yet allow yourself think that you thought that they might not then they may or may not

The un-readiness is all

With Liverpool falling apart at Leicester and having lost 3 on the bounce at home, is this the year we end our run of failing to win at Anfield? Our will we not be able to match what Burnley and Brighton have done in recent weeks and lose to end Liverpools bad run of form?

Yes mate. Only if that stinking attitude of losing a match before it’s even started is jibbed and never comes back.

As much as I wish I was wrong, there is absolutely no chance of us winning on Sunday. And it's not because of how good they are or how bad we are. It's because of history and mentality. Their ego will not let them lose this one. No matter what sort of terrible form they have been in, they will not allow it happen. Like a school bully who relentlessly takes pleasure in the misery of their victim, they will not stop, and they don't care what rules they break in making it happen.

We on the other hand, are the passive victim, who knows, despite advice to the contrary, that fighting back will only make things worse in the long run. And so, we swallow and accept and take it. For the greater good.

Even if we were riding the crest of a wave of an unbeaten run of games having just cruised past Fulham and securing a surprise but hard fought victory over all conquering City, that would not change. We are intimidated by their very presence, regardless of countless changes of managers and players. It runs so deep, that the very idea of them seems to make everyone associated with us crumble. And it's not a new thing either. Go back as far as the 60s, we have only won there i believe 6 or 7 times in all competitions. Almost 70 attempts.

If we did somehow manage to beat them, it would likely be a hard fought narrow victory with no small amount of luck involved, which we rarely have, and rather than signal a shift in power, would likely stoke a fire under them that would bring untold pain back at us in years to come.

Believe me, I'd love nothing more than an era defining mauling as they self destruct at the sight of James inspired masterclass, that destroys their arrogant swagger and reduces them to a babbling mess of insecurity and in fighting as they tumble down the league.

But it won't happen. I resigned myself to that fact a long, long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.