Can we break into the big 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not for at least a couple of seasons, I think United will be back in the top 4/5 once they get a new manager in. All the so called top 6 have been there consistently for a long time, we have managed to get in a couple of times but they’ve been false dawns.

Arsenal, Chelsea, City, RS are top 4 but after that it's anyone's who can be consistent, United haven't got the goals or defence and Spurs I can see the players legs going in Feb after the hours spent at the World Cup and being unable to buy

Don't really get how you can include Arsenal in the top four even with the prediction that Spurs' legs might go (which I'm not really sure they will).

In response to the OP...

First things first, we need to make sure we don't slip lower than 7th, really.

Then we can think about closing the gap on the top six.

Then we go from there.

...if you watched Bournmouth v Arsenal on Sunday wanting Arsenal to win then you’re thinking of staying ahead of Bournmouth. If you watched Bournmouth v Arsenal on Sunday wanting Bournmouth to win you think we can break into the top 5.
I'm always looking for teams below us in the table to lose, perhaps a hangover of growing up in the 90's

We'd have to get among the "Big 6" first. Our fans need to be patient in the coming seasons and not expect too much. Our most likely finishing position this season will be 7th. Given we are sat 6th, and Man United aren't anything special, then 6th is a reasonable aim to have. But we regularly lose the crunch games against these sides, and have already lost to Arsenal and Man United away so 7th would be a positive step this season.

We then need to focus on consistently being in and around the top 6 for a few seasons realistically before expecting 5th and 4th. Obviously if we make some significant signings that may change but our results at Anfield and the Etihad will give a good indication in the coming weeks whether we will be able to mix it among the top teams this season.

god it sounds awful doesnt it? would kill world football as we know it
Never happen Bayern always start that rumor just before terms for future champions league revenue are negotiated, so they can get more money from the champions league it usually works.

...if you watched Bournmouth v Arsenal on Sunday wanting Arsenal to win then you’re thinking of staying ahead of Bournmouth. If you watched Bournmouth v Arsenal on Sunday wanting Bournmouth to win you think we can break into the top 5.

that's actually a very good way of looking at it and I was wanting Bournemouth to win as I'm looking to catch Arsenal. Bournemouth may have gone back above us but we will overtake them in time

Arsenal, Chelsea, City, RS are top 4 but after that it's anyone's who can be consistent, United haven't got the goals or defence and Spurs I can see the players legs going in Feb after the hours spent at the World Cup and being unable to buy

We will buy in the January window im sure of that.

As to Spurs being regarded as one of the 'Big 5' above Man Utd is stretching things a bit.

Don't really get how you can include Arsenal in the top four even with the prediction that Spurs' legs might go (which I'm not really sure they will)..
There players played more minutes at the World cup then any other team in the world, with the Premier League starting so soon after it and them having bought no one In the summer while staying in Europe I just think it's to much

I don't care what others classify us as, I consider us to be the big 1, anything else is pandering to Murdoch et al.

As a serious point, we need to get over our collective inferiority complex. If Leicester can do it, anyone can - I don't care about the circumstances. Man City were in the third division only a few seasons ago.

Have we got the finance ? Have we got the code to undo the lock on the door ?
Arsenal look bog average, and I have never seen a team go on such a run with so much luck.....
The only luck we have had Ref wise was on Saturday v Cardiff as the missed pen tackle by Coleman we lost points at Wolves and Bournemouth down to Refs the top six seem to get the refereeing decisions......
Let's see how we are dealt with at Anfield this Sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.