Can Everton adopt the England Approach

Read first then answer : Can Everton win the league this year?

• If England can win the World Cup then why not?

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • No chance I’ll forever be a negative ninny.

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • Scouse not English

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Summarising here but there are some comparisons to be had with the England Team and Everton.

England teams gone by -
Can’t do it under pressure, when it counts.
Players feel the weight of fan expectation.
History of successful teams used as a pedestal to compare current players against.
Bottle it against their main rivals
Fans disengaged from players.
Polarising decisions from those at the top
Poor recruitment of coaching staff
Faith in past it big names who lack motivation

Suddenly - Gareth Southgate gets the job, and reverses a lot of the fear both in fans beginning to believe and in player’s confidence, improves team spirit and backs youth to deliver.

Shows that with the right strategy, and all believing in it, that an underdog, or a written off sleeping giant, can suddenly put a run together to make people fear them and make tons of waning fans want to support positively again and believe they can win the highest of honours.

The nations with the better players, the reputations for being bigger and more successful have all fell away, and the teams with the best spirit and ethic have prevailed.

Leceister went on a mad run out of no where with a lower league no mark in Vardy,
England went on a mad run with a no cap holding young North Eastern Goalie, who also toughed it out in lower leagues as part of his development, to assist in this teams progress too.

I think what I’m asking is - if you think England can now win the World Cup then do you think it’s possible that Everton can win the league this year?
What play 5 defenders, sit back and kick long balls to a world class striker we don't have and pray that we can win on the back of set pieces and holding a clean sheet?

No ta.

The " goals scored from open play " is testimony to that.

The fact that Kane spent most of the tournament in midfield, is to testimony to that too.
It's why I can't be arsed with people going OTT with "what they've achieved". They fluked a semi final on the back of set pieces and a lucky draw. They were nowhere close to being the best in the tournament but they were one of the luckiest.

They always had a chance to win each game playing like that but I can't say how many times I've complained about that 3-5-2. Alli and Lingard were never central midfielders and Henderson, crap as he is, was the best one we had which should have told us all we needed to know.

Back to thinking they're a gang of bottling bellend primadonnas for me. As it should be.

Sticking with players who obviously were not up to the standard required (Young Alli Sterling) was all a bit Martinez.

..it’s lots about opinion, I actually think Sterling is a top drawer player but I agree he’s rarely shown that at international level. I suppose you look at those that underperformed and consider who can replace them to improve the team.

..it’s lots about opinion, I actually think Sterling is a top drawer player but I agree he’s rarely shown that at international level. I suppose you look at those that underperformed and consider who can replace them to improve the team.

Ademola Lookman, according to half of GOT....:coffee:

He seems to be one of those players, who can`t transfer his club form, to the International stage.

Whether that`s because he `s faced with better defenders I don`t know.

One thing for sure, is that in this world cup, his finishing made Stuart Barlow look good.

In the City side where other players create space for him he does look decent,but in the WC he just ran up blind alleys.Young I imagine he played for his experience,but he was just far too predictable Rose offers more with his pace,and as for Alli he just lives off the odd MOTD goal of the month but does little else in between.And you hit the nail on the head,there are no real alternatives to improve the side,other than at LB.

He seems to be one of those players, who can`t transfer his club form, to the International stage.

Whether that`s because he `s faced with better defenders I don`t know.

One thing for sure, is that in this world cup, his finishing made Stuart Barlow look good.

..he’s always been a poor finisher, he doesn’t strike a football cleanly but it didn’t stop him scoring 16 league goals last season. Many of the defenders he faces at international level are the same as he faces in the Premier League. It might be more to do with City having better players than England and a system which suits him. It might also have something to do with attitude.

In the City side where other players create space for him he does look decent,but in the WC he just ran up blind alleys.Young I imagine he played for his experience,but he was just far too predictable Rose offers more with his pace,and as for Alli he just lives off the odd MOTD goal of the month but does little else in between.And you hit the nail on the head,there are no real alternatives to improve the side,other than at LB.

..I think Youngs selection had lots to do with his delivery from set pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.