Can Everton adopt the England Approach

Read first then answer : Can Everton win the league this year?

• If England can win the World Cup then why not?

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • No chance I’ll forever be a negative ninny.

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • Scouse not English

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think England have really suffered with many of the things you mention there, it's just that people always look for some weird connecting link between things so they can put it down to some deep rooted issue. The fact of the matter is England have usually lost to teams who are better/as good as them (often in very close games) because they've never been the very best team in the tournament. This time round they haven't played anyone better/as good as them and so they haven't been knocked out. It's honestly that simple.

The same applies to Everton. For all the hand wringing and talk of bottling and whatever, our recent near misses in cups have come in games against Chelsea, United, City and Liverpool. All teams that would expect to be able to beat us in one off games.

I think the better question would be could Everton do a Germany (2014).

We have a lot of English players that have won things at youth level. DCL, Davies, JJK, Lookman and Dowell to name a few. We also have a lot of youth players that have won trophies with Unsworth. All these players will have a winning mentality, albeit at a lower level than what the Premier League is.

We have a good base there but for a number of reasons, the pressure of the crowd, the stress on the manager of having to win games and the fact that young players in general are more inconsistent than most seasoned professionals, it's hard for teams to want to develop a side into winners. Man Utd are probably the team closest to doing that, when they had Scholes, Giggs, Beckham, etc coming through. Even then though they signed great players to add to the youth, with Cole, Yorke, Sheringham, Keane, etc.

So I think the answer to your question is yes we could definitely do it, but we would need to sign some great players (which we haven't been very good at lately) and we would need a massive amount of luck when playing teams that are stronger than us and with injuries. Another thing we haven't had much luck with lately.

I kind of thought this thread was going to be about the England formation 5-3-2 and if Everton could do that. In which case I think we could but we would need a LB younger than Baines, so we could play;

Pickford

Baines Jagielka Holgate Keane Coleman
Gana
Klassen Sigurdsson
Cenk Tosan Walcott

We could use Lookman in place of Walcott, Davies in place of Klassen, Williams in for Jagielka, etc

I think it could work for us, but the manager has already said he prefers 4-3-3, so we probably won’t play this way, but I think a few teams will be trying the 5-3-2 formation when the new league season starts

I think some posters have had too much sun, the hot weather does strange things to people.

I kind of thought this thread was going to be about the England formation 5-3-2 and if Everton could do that. In which case I think we could but we would need a LB younger than Baines, so we could play;

Pickford

Baines Jagielka Holgate Keane Coleman
Gana
Klassen Sigurdsson
Cenk Tosan Walcott

We could use Lookman in place of Walcott, Davies in place of Klassen, Williams in for Jagielka, etc

I think it could work for us, but the manager has already said he prefers 4-3-3, so we probably won’t play this way, but I think a few teams will be trying the 5-3-2 formation when the new league season starts
Williams instead of Jags...what you sniffing ???

Summarising here but there are some comparisons to be had with the England Team and Everton.

England teams gone by -
Can’t do it under pressure, when it counts.
Players feel the weight of fan expectation.
History of successful teams used as a pedestal to compare current players against.
Bottle it against their main rivals
Fans disengaged from players.
Polarising decisions from those at the top
Poor recruitment of coaching staff
Faith in past it big names who lack motivation

Suddenly - Gareth Southgate gets the job, and reverses a lot of the fear both in fans beginning to believe and in player’s confidence, improves team spirit and backs youth to deliver.

Shows that with the right strategy, and all believing in it, that an underdog, or a written off sleeping giant, can suddenly put a run together to make people fear them and make tons of waning fans want to support positively again and believe they can win the highest of honours.

The nations with the better players, the reputations for being bigger and more successful have all fell away, and the teams with the best spirit and ethic have prevailed.

Leceister went on a mad run out of no where with a lower league no mark in Vardy,
England went on a mad run with a no cap holding young North Eastern Goalie, who also toughed it out in lower leagues as part of his development, to assist in this teams progress too.

I think what I’m asking is - if you think England can now win the World Cup then do you think it’s possible that Everton can win the league this year?
Hahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.