Calm down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm dead split on the pre season.

On one hand it's pretty meaningless. We were crap at everything in pre season, but apparently we attack quite well now.

We were crap at defending in pre season and that has carried through into the season.

It's a head scratcher why these brain farts in our defence keep happening game on game as they didn't seem to last season.

All in all, I have no idea what the answer is.

-we scored 3 against a Chelsea team that are ridiculously good at closing down with a lead
-we are probably the only team that will put 3 past them this season and you can bet Jose is fuming
-we have faced 2 of the best attacking teams in the league in these 3 games
-our defence will get it together
-it looks like we've just signed our best striker on a free
-naismith is boss
-we don't even have barkley in the team now
-we will score 80 league goals this year
-imagine this attack against europa league competition
-lukaku hasn't even started slotting yet ffs we could score 100

I've not read the entire thread only the opening post and while I understand what you are saying, I can't agree. This was meant to be the season we challenge the top 4 yet the last 2 games have shown why we simply are not good enough and will be a also ran ie 5th or 6th. It's ok saying the defence will get it together but my argument is they should already have it together. We have thrown away 4 points in the opening 2 games and quite frankly the defence is worrying. It's not just in the opening 3 games the signs where there in pre season yet we all said ignore pre season it's when the season starts it counts. Well the season is 3 games in and from 9 points we have 2 that is why we will not be in the champions league places come the end of the season its ok saying calm down but at the same time alarm bells are ringing and you would be very naive to ignore that fact. It's ok saying we are scoring goals but those goals have only got us 2 points and our 2 opening home games where against our challengers for champions leagure places and ultimately we have fallen short just like we will come the end of the season

I've not read the entire thread only the opening post and while I understand what you are saying, I can't agree. This was meant to be the season we challenge the top 4 yet the last 2 games have shown why we simply are not good enough and will be a also ran ie 5th or 6th. It's ok saying the defence will get it together but my argument is they should already have it together. We have thrown away 4 points in the opening 2 games and quite frankly the defence is worrying. It's not just in the opening 3 games the signs where there in pre season yet we all said ignore pre season it's when the season starts it counts. Well the season is 3 games in and from 9 points we have 2 that is why we will not be in the champions league places come the end of the season its ok saying calm down but at the same time alarm bells are ringing and you would be very naive to ignore that fact. It's ok saying we are scoring goals but those goals have only got us 2 points and our 2 opening home games where against our challengers for champions leagure places and ultimately we have fallen short just like we will come the end of the season
Take a deep breath mate.

We will get better.

TBH I rather us play attacking football and score three hit the woodwork twice - than hang on with everyone back for a 0-0 or a 1-0 win , but we must learn how to defend basic chances Chelski looked like every attack they would score and they hit SIX!
RM gets paid to sort it out so keep the faith - the sale of Duffy may come back to haunt us!

Attack is a big plus. Not many will score 3 against Chelsea this season.

Unfortunately none of that matters if we don't bother to defend. A CB is a must now.

Our defense drops too deep when we're being counter-attacked. Chelsea's first two goals yesterday came about as a result of us trying to play offside and failed both times. In the second half we were frightened of it happening again and dropped much too deep without putting enough pressure on the players with the ball.

Martinez was right, our back line played "scared" yesterday, and in the final 15 minutes against Arsenal too. You play with something to lose and quality players will punish you.

TBH I rather us play attacking football and score three hit the woodwork twice - than hang on with everyone back for a 0-0 or a 1-0 win , but we must learn how to defend basic chances Chelski looked like every attack they would score and they hit SIX!
RM gets paid to sort it out so keep the faith - the sale of Duffy may come back to haunt us!
TBH

maybe im alone here, but after watching that, I would happily swap that for a 1-0 win... hanging on to win.

So what we want is for The Prem to give points for;

i) Possession

ii) Number of shots

iii) Hitting the post

iv) give us a goal every time the ball crosses the line

v) Give points for aggression and willingness to attack

Also;

Make all the teams that have prepared properly and can defend carry extra weight like in horse racing.

And; change Z Cars for 'Send in the Clowns'.

ha, if you read that into my post then fine.

was just pointing out how badly our defending let us down - it was a much closer game than the scoreline and the difference in teams suggest. people will say yeah but chelsea sat back after 2-0, but they scored 4 more so they obviously didn't.

we didn't play that badly, just defended the poorest we will all season and didn't quite have the luck in some areas.

It is fine saying we scored 3 against Chelsea and we may end up the only side to do so but the fact remains we conceded 6 and could have let in more and it isn't like we can put it down as a one off as we have now let in 10 in 3 games. I am worried about our defence. They better be working on it before the next game, take a scrappy 1-0 to get us going and take it from there.

Attack is a big plus. Not many will score 3 against Chelsea this season.
They weren't overly strong defensively yesterday (not your typical Jose style)and the game was very open so I wouldn't take too much from it. It's a positive, however let us not take away from the key fact.

Yesterday we conceded six goals at home, half of what we ourselves scored. Take away the gloss of our attacking performance and the positive atmosphere in the ground yesterday, it's a pretty horrific result.

We all want to watch a free flowing football. We've all enjoyed our attacking style as shown last season. However, the aim of the game is to score more goals than our opposition and win games - up to now we've seemed lacklustre at achieving this. I'd be happy with a scrappy win at WBA as at least it's a win and we've conceded less than we've scored. From there we can build on finding the balance f attack and defence.

So what we want is for The Prem to give points for;

i) Possession

ii) Number of shots

iii) Hitting the post

iv) give us a goal every time the ball crosses the line

v) Give points for aggression and willingness to attack

Also;

Make all the teams that have prepared properly and can defend carry extra weight like in horse racing.

And; change Z Cars for 'Send in the Clowns'.
No one is arguing that we deserve more than 2 points from the first 3 matches - we don't.

The season is 38 games not 3 though.

people will say yeah but chelsea sat back after 2-0, but they scored 4 more so they obviously didn't.
They did though, pretty much all of their goals after the first 2 were from counterattacks. How many times did you see them have any spells of possession in our 3rd of the pitch? Twice that I can remember really.

They did though, pretty much all of their goals after the first 2 were from counterattacks. How many times did you see them have any spells of possession in our 3rd of the pitch? Twice that I can remember really.

think it may have been their gameplan from the off though - they just scored 2 goals before we could even see what their gameplan was.

Status
Not open for further replies.