Match Thread Burnley v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm really looking forward to this. How many matches have we played since the 1995 FA Cup Final where you knew the future of the club basically depended on the outcome? Off the top of my head, Coventry in 1998, Manchester United in 2005, Villarreal in 2005, Chelsea in 2009, Reading in 2010, Liverpool at Wembley in 2012, Wigan in 2013, and United at Wembley in 2016. All bar the first two were in Cup competitions. So, basically, this is one of the three biggest league matches we have played in nearly 25 years.

Make no mistake, defeat tonight means we are very likely to be relegated. Burnley are, demonstrably, one of the worst sides in the league. We only play one other side of their level between now and the end of the season: Watford. This is a bellwether match. It will tell a tale. A win tonight, though, and we are warm favourites to stay up. Moreover, we drag Leeds and Newcastle back into our orbit. Huge stakes.

After years of mediocrity and drifting along on the road to nowhere, at least tonight will get the blood pumping and the adrenaline flowing. I'm all set: a lovely vintage 1998 bottle of Chateau Domestos is already on ice ready for the evening.

Last edited:
Obviously we need a win, but given our disgusting away record and all the players unavailable, am I the only one who’d actually take a draw tonight so that Burnley don’t gain on us?
Or maybe I’m managing my own expectations….

I keep changing perspective on a draw tonight.

Obviously a win puts us in a good(ish) position. But a draw?

One minute I'm seeing it as one of three more chances to beat a team as bad as us and 1 point is not enough; next minute I see it as us getting 4 points clear of the relegation spots with games in hand...and Leeds almost within reach.

In short: I think I can live with hope if we get a draw. It'll demoralise Burnley and we'd pretty much just need to keep Hodgson's Watford at arms length...which wont be easy either.

Can’t believe we’re the underdogs going into a game where the opposition has only won three games all season. ?

Obviously we need a win, but given our disgusting away record and all the players unavailable, am I the only one who’d actually take a draw tonight so that Burnley don’t gain on us?
Or maybe I’m managing my own expectations….
I think we really need to win, but I think we'd all gladly take a point by 10pm tonight given we are quite likely to have been comprehensively beaten again.

I'm really looking forward to this. How many matches have we played since the 1995 FA Cup Final where you knew the future of the club basically depended on the outcome? Off the top of my head, Coventry in 1998, Manchester United in 2005, Villarreal in 2005, Chelsea in 2009, Reading in 2010, Liverpool at Wembley in 2012, Wigan in 2013, and United at Wembley in 2016. All bar the first two were in Cup competitions. So, basically, this is one of the three biggest league matches we have played in nearly 25 years.

Make no mistake, defeat tonight means we are very likely to be relegated. Burnley are, demonstrably, one of the worst sides in the league. We only play one other side of their level between now and the end of the season: Watford. This is a bellwether match. It will tell a tale. A win tonight, though, and we are warm favourites to stay up. Moreover, we drag Leeds and Newcastle back into our orbit. Huge stakes.

After years of mediocrity and drifting along on the road to nowhere, at least tonight will get the blood pumping and the adrenaline flowing. I'm all set: a lovely vintage 1998 bottle of Chateux Domestos is already on ice ready for the evening.
No domestos but several cans of Guinness for me. Feeling more nervous than before major exams or interviews.

The logic is probably because there's nothing I can do.....well I can pray I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.