Match Thread Burnley v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep changing perspective on a draw tonight.

Obviously a win puts us in a good(ish) position. But a draw?

One minute I'm seeing it as one of three more chances to beat a team as bad as us and 1 point is not enough; next minute I see it as us getting 4 points clear of the relegation spots with games in hand...and Leeds almost within reach.

In short: I think I can live with hope if we get a draw. It'll demoralise Burnley and we'd pretty much just need to keep Hodgson's Watford at arms length...which wont be easy either.
A draw is no good.

Watford have a very winnable home game against Leeds on Saturday. We play United at home, and even with the fans on our side that's an incredibly tough game. Let's say we draw both games (for me that's best case scenario), we'd be 5 points clear of Watford by 3pm, but they will probably win so it'll be back to 3 points but we'll have a game in hand.

Our fixtures are much tougher than theirs in the run in.

Burnley play Norwich on Sunday. If we get 2 points in the next 2 games that means we're 5 points clear by Sunday and they have a game in hand and a great chance to win. That puts it back to 2 points if they beat Norwich.

With our respective run-ins, I don't think we can outperform both of Burnley and Watford in terms of points.

Only a win will do.

NIL VICTORIOUS NISI OPTIMUM

No domestos but several cans of Guinness for me. Feeling more nervous than before major exams or interviews.

The logic is probably because there's nothing I can do.....well I can pray I suppose.
This match is, weirdly, almost a relief to me. My sense of logic tells me that tonight will determine everything. If we lose to Burnley, we really will go down as we only play one other team as poor as them: Watford. Do we really see this rabble losing tonight and then beating the likes of United and other far superior sides to Burnley? I don't. If we win, I think we have serious hope of getting away from trouble. We demoralise Burnley - and Watford who really want a draw tonight or a Burnley win. If we draw, we live to fight another day, but we have missed the chance to ease our woes and the matches only get more difficult.

So tonight offers clarification. I hate so many of the players now anyway that I can mentally throw them under the bus if they let us down yet again tonight. I'll take solace in the proof that my contempt for them was utterly borne out by another cowardly display.

The psychological distress of being an Evertonian.

Or as a philosopher might have said: The Unbearable Heaviness of Being...an Evertonian.

I keep changing perspective on a draw tonight.

Obviously a win puts us in a good(ish) position. But a draw?

One minute I'm seeing it as one of three more chances to beat a team as bad as us and 1 point is not enough; next minute I see it as us getting 4 points clear of the relegation spots with games in hand...and Leeds almost within reach.

In short: I think I can live with hope if we get a draw. It'll demoralise Burnley and we'd pretty much just need to keep Hodgson's Watford at arms length...which wont be easy either.

Dave, scares me stiff. Down to what team Lampard can put out, just glad Keane is not playing for one thing.

This match is, weirdly, almost a relief to me. My sense of logic tells me that tonight will determine everything. If we lose to Burnley, we really will go down as we only play one other team as poor as them: Watford. Do we really see this rabble losing tonight and then beating the likes of United and other far superior sides to Burnley? I don't. If we win, I think we have serious hope of getting away from trouble. We demoralise Burnley - and Watford who really want a draw tonight or a Burnley win. If we draw, we live to fight another day, but we have missed the chance to ease our woes and the matches only get more difficult.

So tonight offers clarification. I hate so many of the players now anyway that I can mentally throw them under the bus if they let us down yet again tonight. I'll take solace in the proof that my contempt for them was utterly borne out by another cowardly display.

The psychological distress of being an Evertonian.

Or as a philosopher might have said: The Unbearable Heaviness of Being...an Evertonian.
I just hope for a performance but as is often said about us, it's the hope that kills us.

I think we all need to accept early on that the team will be threadbare tonight. We should still have enough to beat Burnley though. Fingers crossed we get an early goal to settle the nerves then push on

I just hope for a performance but as is often said about us, it's the hope that kills us.
I'm not hopeful. The lack of hope is what is keeping me calm.

I'll probably end up livid with various players as the match progresses, but hope is not going to kill me tonight. Holgate and Godfrey versus Andre the Giant Wout Weghorst will do that.

I don't think we have enough to beat anybody !.
Well, away from home, that's pretty much what the last 21 matches tell us - 16 defeats in those. We have beaten sides as poor as us at home (Leeds and Newcastle), but now we have to do it away. We haven't won on the road since last August. That's eight months ago when Benitez was in charge and Ukraine wasn't a pile of rubble. Might as well be the ice age.

Status
Not open for further replies.