Building for Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleypark

Player Valuation: £1m
There was talk a while ago on here about what the ultimate capacity of the new stadium would be. Talk of it being being larger than 60,000. The the important thing about this is not necessarily whether the stadium could reach say 70000+ but rather that it gives us greater options on how we should expand in the future if need be.

Considering that the only selling point was that it was a stadium with four individual stands, and that this only positive factor would be lost in we were to filll in the corners, then would it not make sense that the stadium could allow for an additional tier on each stand?

When the time comes to expand, if ever, then we would have the choice of a time consuming 4 corners to fill in or say two End Stands to be added too. The cost and speed of the exercise could be considered there and then. Not now.

A second consideration is that with critcism coming in on the external appearance of the stadium, an additional tier would require a new outer shell. Therefore any iconic features could be added there when we expand.

It's not as though building for expansion would cost a great deal more either. It's more a case of allowing for an additional tier to be added to easily. ie don't make stands too steep, make the roof easily removable, and bear in mind that the external wall will be covered by a new building.

Sure, talking about expansion is a way off, 10-15 years away, maybe more, maybe never, but that doesn't mean we have to rule it out complletely. Clubs rise, clubs fall. No-one is 100% certain what will happen, if we were we'd be millionaires.

There was talk a while ago on here about what the ultimate capacity of the new stadium would be. Talk of it being being larger than 60,000. The the important thing about this is not necessarily whether the stadium could reach say 70000+ but rather that it gives us greater options on how we should expand in the future if need be.

Considering that the only selling point was that it was a stadium with four individual stands, and that this only positive factor would be lost in we were to filll in the corners, then would it not make sense that the stadium could allow for an additional tier on each stand?

When the time comes to expand, if ever, then we would have the choice of a time consuming 4 corners to fill in or say two End Stands to be added too. The cost and speed of the exercise could be considered there and then. Not now.

A second consideration is that with critcism coming in on the external appearance of the stadium, an additional tier would require a new outer shell. Therefore any iconic features could be added there when we expand.

It's not as though building for expansion would cost a great deal more either. It's more a case of allowing for an additional tier to be added to easily. ie don't make stands too steep, make the roof easily removable, and bear in mind that the external wall will be covered by a new building.

Sure, talking about expansion is a way off, 10-15 years away, maybe more, maybe never, but that doesn't mean we have to rule it out complletely. Clubs rise, clubs fall. No-one is 100% certain what will happen, if we were we'd be millionaires.

The most boring thread ever.

My old mate HalewoodBlue!

What do you think anyway about this issue? As a pro-Kirkby man, you obviously expect that it will become a success. This will obviously mean that we will need to expand at some point. So, if Kirkby comes off I will be extremely happy if you're right. I want the best for Everton. So, firstly, are you aware if the scheme can go beyond 60,000, as there were thalks on here a while ago that said it may?

Secondly, options for how we expand. Do you believe that is is better to have options for expansion just in case?

What's hopes for the size of our future attendances? Obviously assuming that things continue to improve on the pitch and the new stadium does improve finances.

If it is so boring, then why not stay out of it.

Just because you don't share the same views doesn't mean he is any less entitled to post his views. There are obviously a lot of people who think like him and a lot of people who are begining to think that way.

Me and stanley are old sparring partners on another everton site dylan, dont read to much into it

My old mate HalewoodBlue!

What do you think anyway about this issue? As a pro-Kirkby man, you obviously expect that it will become a success. This will obviously mean that we will need to expand at some point. So, if Kirkby comes off I will be extremely happy if you're right. I want the best for Everton. So, firstly, are you aware if the scheme can go beyond 60,000, as there were thalks on here a while ago that said it may?

Secondly, options for how we expand. Do you believe that is is better to have options for expansion just in case?

What's hopes for the size of our future attendances? Obviously assuming that things continue to improve on the pitch and the new stadium does improve finances.

I think there is and should be room for expansion, which is major flaw in the revelopment option of GP. It will only expand so much and if we get bigger then we will have to leave anyway. This also applies to the other 'option' which is the loop. Lets put aside the issue of whether we can squeeze a stadium and surrounding area onto that site, there will be no room for expansion at all.
As for the last point i see no reason why we a club like ours cannot reach the heights of United, assuming every goes our way...ref finances, success etc

I think we don't sell out Goodison Park because of the very restricted views on offer. if there were no obstructed views I think that we'd have much higher attendances then at present.

I would have been more comfortable if the new ground was 60,000 i think thats acheivable with are curretn profile and praticularly with European football. I have a sneaky feeling that the club have major plans for this stadium in terms of what they can turn it into.

I think what we will see initially is the smallest stadium we could get away with in terms of planning and be slowly built up over a longer period of time! The ability to expand the stadium size is vital!

I think there is and should be room for expansion, which is major flaw in the revelopment option of GP. It will only expand so much and if we get bigger then we will have to leave anyway. This also applies to the other 'option' which is the loop. Lets put aside the issue of whether we can squeeze a stadium and surrounding area onto that site, there will be no room for expansion at all.
As for the last point i see no reason why we a club like ours cannot reach the heights of United, assuming every goes our way...ref finances, success etc

I'm glad you think that way, and I think if anything it is something to aspire to, whether we reach there who knows, but I'd hate to see Everton rule it out. Clubs can rise in the space of 20 years if not less. United in the 30's, 40s and turn of the 50s were having such a bad time of it. No great history to speak 3500 turning up for Div 2. Success came along, Harold Hardman the ex Everton player came along. By the late 60s United as we know were born, less than 20 yrs.

Anyway point being if Everton tweaked a couple of aspects of the Kirkby design, built the stadium with enough room round the edge, for an additional tier, doesn't have to be much, we only need 30 rows of seats, some of which can overlap the other tier. Had an easily removable roof, and slightly lower gradients, then we could have potentially have a stadium to equal Old Traffords size. We may not reach it but at least the opportunity is always there, but the design has to be altered now for it to happen.

There has been criticism of the outside appearance of Kirkby, this won't matter if we allow for an extra tier, asthis will allow for a new front were any icons of whatever can be added then, when we have more money.

Another advantage is that when we come to expand we will have the option on how to do it. We can compare the cost of say adding 2 corners with the cost and adding a tier on an End Stand, choose then, not now. Speed can come into it. Dont forget too in 20 years time new technology comes along,current stands dated, an additional tier will give us a chance to have a full modern kitted out tier with whatever gadgets are going then. There aren't enough room in corners for full layouts etc

Last edited:

Just a further point.

Does it concern anyone that the new design won't be able to reach the size of Liverpools new one?

If Kirkby is the answer (and no-one will fully know until a good while after we've moved in so its irrelevant to this particular post whether it will or wont be), then why not allow it so that we can reclaim our place beside or even above Liverpool and Man U? If we never do need to expand, we haven't lost anything so why rule it out byong filling in the corners?

If we reach a period of success then at that key mont we'll probably need to expand. Anextra side tier will be the same size as 3 corners, it may work out economical to add a side tier insted and keep the stands separate.

All this expansion could be 20 years off even, but I'm mentioning it now because it is now that the amendments have to be done to the design. . The design must be changed now to allow this to ever happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.