Match Thread Brighton & Hove Albion v Everton - Team Prediction, Waffle, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Anyway - 9 minutes added on. 9 minutes! Yes Onana was down for a couple of mins and there were some subs - but 9 minutes? No other long term stoppages and no other trainers on. I wonder if a decision on added time is influenced by the home team losing at 90. Changed the whole impetus of the game - but Dyche has to learn that attackers cannot defend - keep them up their end of the pitch. Beto was like Bambi on ice.

Funny watching the “From all angles” video of the goal. The Brighton fans in the background to our lengthy celebrations are all either staring steadfastly ahead, piously refusing to look at our joyous players, some you can see with a hand over their mouth in shock, 20seconds after it went in, bless them. Not one single person I can see flicking the V’s and screaming at our player to F off from celebrating in front of the home crowd, or calling them the usual.

Sort of nice to see I guess, especially as it was a very good goal and deserves begrudging respect, but seems weird all the same not to see some red faced drunkard lift his shirt up, slapping his massive belly and offering Tarky out.

Plenty teams’ home crowd give far worse abuse to their own players than those Brighton fans were willing to dish out to the opposition. Odd.

Can't defend against 10 men how pathetic. When they went down to 10 we should have gone at them but we have a U/S load upfront. Why can we not give some younger players like Dobbin a good go ? It all points to what an awful manager we have, couldn't organise the you know what in a brewery.

Can't defend against 10 men how pathetic. When they went down to 10 we should have gone at them but we have a U/S load upfront. Why can we not give some younger players like Dobbin a good go ? It all points to what an awful manager we have, couldn't organise the you know what in a brewery.
Dobbin was injured but I agree he could get more minutes.

No. What is ridiculous is the constant whataboutery of people responding to those who are critical of the attacking play by saying these players cannot play free-flowing football, or possession football, or 'tippy-tappy' football.

NO-ONE is advocating for that right now.

I could not care less if we are defensive. I could not care less if our aim is to hang on in games. It makes sense given our predicament. What is totally unacceptable though is the lack of work on attacking play. No patterns. No space creation, no overlapping full-backs, no-one getting close to the CF. Very few balls in behind, most leathered up to the CF's head. We also have good and mobile CM's so they could easily cover space vacated by FBs who push forward.

Our attacking players are not great, but are so much better than what we are currently seeing. The manager is being excused of his responsibility here. I can't imagine the inverse happening. That is, if we had defenders who people thought were crap. Yes, people would accept we would concede more goals because they are crap, but they absolutely would not accept the manager obviously doing no work on defensive shape, patterns or positional play.

Also, I love the fact that we have improved at attacking set-pieces. But ultimately all that is, is a deep ball to the back post to our huge players to be nodded across or in. Very difficult to defend, but there is no variation at all, it is hardly rocket science, and eventually teams will find an answer.

The defence is perfoming very well. But it is easier to do so when (a) the personnel are better - Branthwaite has been a game changer there and (b) you sacrifice all attacking play to sit deep and defend.

I know we cannot sack him. No-one would take the job. But the excuse making for some of the ranks amateur management we see needs to end. If he is pressured into just doing a fraction more attacking work we will see huge dividends.

It is hyperbole because you have again reached for excellent players, which no-one is saying.

McNeil is so one footed that he needs an overlapping FB to create space.

DCL was successful under Ancelotti because he stayed within the width of the box and was much closer to goal, with a lot of cut-backs or crosses from good areas being created for him. Instead, we leather the ball up to his head, have him yards from goal, then usually competing with the CBs on his own to try and get ahead having come from deep for a hopeful deep cross.

Beto, as anyone who ever watched the lad in Serie A knows, is raw as they come but, like prime Lukaku, is not a back to goal striker and needs the ball played in front of him for him to run onto. He is very good at shrugging defenders. We did this just a couple of times yesterday and it caused Brighton problems. We usually just leather the ball at his head.

We rarely, even with Doucoure have men pushing forward to support.

We would not see all this happening all the time if it was solely a player issue. It is managerial one and he clearly puts little emphasis on the attacking play or shape.

Yes, I would expect to see differently from a Simeone or Tuchel because, whilst they are defensive, their teams have been successful because they clearly do some work on maximising attacking opportunities. Yes, they have better players but you can always see what a manager is trying to do. Take the inverse with Martinez at us and Wigan. He was naive beyond belief defensively, but you could always see what he was trying to do with his side, what he focused on, what the patterns or shapes were. He definitely required better players to play it. With Dyche, the same thing applies. Even if you don't rate our forwards, you can see the lack of training ground work that is done on this area. The players are better than they show. Our attacking play is sub Championship standard. Our attackers are better than sub Championship standard. Our attackers are better than at least 5 other side's attackers in the PL, none of whom look so inept going forward.

People really need to stop excusing ineptitude from Dyche. Reminds me very much of Allardyce's claims that he would play more attacking football with better players - never did. And that he would be managing Real Madrid if his name was Allardici. There is a blind-spot people have for these excuse machine managers.

Apologies accepted.

No. What is ridiculous is the constant whataboutery of people responding to those who are critical of the attacking play by saying these players cannot play free-flowing football, or possession football, or 'tippy-tappy' football.

NO-ONE is advocating for that right now.

I could not care less if we are defensive. I could not care less if our aim is to hang on in games. It makes sense given our predicament. What is totally unacceptable though is the lack of work on attacking play. No patterns. No space creation, no overlapping full-backs, no-one getting close to the CF. Very few balls in behind, most leathered up to the CF's head. We also have good and mobile CM's so they could easily cover space vacated by FBs who push forward.

Our attacking players are not great, but are so much better than what we are currently seeing. The manager is being excused of his responsibility here. I can't imagine the inverse happening. That is, if we had defenders who people thought were crap. Yes, people would accept we would concede more goals because they are crap, but they absolutely would not accept the manager obviously doing no work on defensive shape, patterns or positional play.

Also, I love the fact that we have improved at attacking set-pieces. But ultimately all that is, is a deep ball to the back post to our huge players to be nodded across or in. Very difficult to defend, but there is no variation at all, it is hardly rocket science, and eventually teams will find an answer.

The defence is perfoming very well. But it is easier to do so when (a) the personnel are better - Branthwaite has been a game changer there and (b) you sacrifice all attacking play to sit deep and defend.

I know we cannot sack him. No-one would take the job. But the excuse making for some of the ranks amateur management we see needs to end.

If he is pressured into just doing a fraction more attacking work we will see huge dividends.
Dyche might like to do that but (probably IMO) worries about conceding due to too much 'Openess' for want of a better word*

* nods to attack being the best firm of defence theory