Bob Latchford appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before my time but the first footballer I remember knowing the name of. I was probably about 4 when this conversation took place in the bathroom.

"Who do you support?" I asked my big brother
"Everton" says he
"Why have you got a Leeds cup then?"
"Shut up" he replied
"Who plays for Everton?"
"Bob Latchford"

And so Bob Latchford I was

Big Bob was not the slimmest of guys and gave the illusion that he didn't run round much, he was regarded more as a poacher,he also had the happy Knack of scoring with all parts of his body e.g. he could trip over his own feet and whilst falling too the ground the ball would hit him on his ar*e and divert into the net.

Meanwhile a few years before his death the great Dixie Dean unfortunately had one of his legs amputated and spent his last few years in a wheelchair.

Come the day of Dixie's funeral the honour of carrying the coffin was given to Everton centre forwards past and present which as I remember included Joe Royle,Graeme Sharp and big Bob amongst others.

As the coffin was carried from St James's church in Birkenhead one of the mourners was allegedly heard to say 'That Bob Latchford is so effin' lazy he probably got the corner with the leg missing'

I personally thought big Bob was brilliant and he could score headers from all angles and distances,the supply line from Dave Thomas and Ronnie Goodlass was first class and he always seemed to get himself on the end of any cross.Happy days.

Which reminds me - remember being about 8 when I was left home alone while dad out at work and mum at the shops one day ringing every R.Latchford in the phone book asking if Bob was in. Godknows what I would have said if it was him. ( never occured to me people could be ex directory)
Got a few clear offs and think you have the wrong number son replies. Was disappointed. Was just about to try A.King's when my mum came back. Remember also looking for G Nulty's to tell him he was crap but there was none!
Geoff Nultys phone was probably in a sideways position the same as he played all his passes!lol

Which reminds me - remember being about 8 when I was left home alone while dad out at work and mum at the shops one day ringing every R.Latchford in the phone book asking if Bob was in. Godknows what I would have said if it was him. ( never occured to me people could be ex directory)
Got a few clear offs and think you have the wrong number son replies. Was disappointed. Was just about to try A.King's when my mum came back. Remember also looking for G Nulty's to tell him he was crap but there was none!
Try T. Darracott ?

Geoff Nultys phone was probably in a sideways position the same as he played all his passes!lol
My Dad worked with Geoff Nulty's dad at St Helens Corpy. He used to give us comps for local away games.

I won't hear a word said against him!

My two clearest memories of Big Bob were ones that both ultimately ended in disappointment - the 1977 league cup final first replay at Hillsborough when he equalised in the last minute and the FA Cup semi replay against West Ham, when he equalised with only about 5 minutes of extra time to go but we lost to a last minute Lampard goal. I will never forget the celebrations after each of them - particularly the Wet Ham one where he leapt onto the fence behind the goal about 20 foot from me.

A true legend in my 9 year old eyes when he scored the 30 goals. I got squashed as people used my beer crate (which I stood on so I could see) to get on the pitch against Chelsea.
Ended up running on the pitch myself. I wanted to be Big Bobby Latchford.

Bob Latchford and Dave Thomas were like a couple who won Mr and Mrs. Fantastic combination. As others have mentioned the game against Chelsea was a memorable one. It's a great feeling walking away from GP with a permanent smile. Hopefully soon to be a permanent effect.

I was in the upper Gladys behind the goal, my first memory of Goodison going proper mental

When Bob burst the net with his penalty against Chelsea, me and my brother were right behind the goal in the stand at the Street end. I jumped up onto my seat and bounced - the seat split (wooden), and I went arse over tit - good thing I was 3 rows back, or I would have gone over into the standing terrace below!

My hero growing up, along with Duncan McKenzie. I was in the front row Upper Gladwys when that 30th goal went in and wanted to jump down to the terraces. Good job I didn't as I'd have broken my legs & had to stop pretending to be Big Bob in the playground / on the pitch / in the street. Still the best technical header of the ball I've ever seen. I tried those knee high diving headers with spectacular degrees of failure!!

Status
Not open for further replies.