Bill Kenwright

He was a great man by all accounts. We all love Everton, (Bill most of all btw), but if you can't see value in a life beyond what someone has done in football, I feel very sorry for you. A lot of success and accomplishments our Bill had. But most importantly, a lovely fella. RIP.

Most of all? Says who? Him? He got rich and bought his train set and then wouldn't give it up or change with the times. In terms of assets that train set isn't worth the box it came in.

Most of all? Says who? Him? He got rich and bought his train set and then wouldn't give it up or change with the times. In terms of assets that train set isn't worth the box it came in.
Not today mate.

Now is neither the time nor the place for this.
Pay your respects and leave it there for now.

Show some dignity and be respectful. Not much to ask.

When the dust is settled he'll be remembered for a lot things. I'm sure we'd agree on at least a few.
But nows the time to hear of the good man he was, a man of his community, hopefully hear a few memories, with a good dose of scouse humour and a bottle of the finest thrown in.
Leave the rest well alone.
Regardless of everything else I hope when the first match is played at our new stadium there will be remembrance that it was Bill who was brokered the deal to bring in Moshiri. Despite the catastrophic waste of money on the wrong players and the mystery about who actually funded it all, Everton FC will be playing at the best football stadium in Europe, never mind just The Premier League and, like Dortmund, the proximity of the fans, particularly the Blue Wall will scare the bejesus out of visiting teams. As I said, regardless of everything, it's so sad that Bill didn't survive long enough to be there and witness it.

RIP Mr Chairman.

My position on the death of Bill Kenwright is that I am sorry that he has passed and I would extend my sympathy to his family and friends. I have been a critic of his running of the club but hopefully I have always been able to separate the criticism of the job he was doing from the person. I have no doubt of his love of the club and on reflection maybe it was that love which clouded his recent judgement and stopped him from stepping aside.
This a sad time for the club no matter your opinion on BKs handling of recent dealings, we have lost one of our own, it is time to reflect and I hope we can give him a great send off.

This was posted on another forum and think its a great summary to share!
  • His own community work, and advocacy for EitC - which is truly a leading example in the Premier League - are truly to be admired. As was his support for the Hillsborough families. So much that he did that leave a truly wonderful legacy.

It’s worth noting, as well, that he seemed to be genuinely loved by players, coaches and the football community. He was often a truly great representative for the club.

On the field, on the plus side, he stuck with Moyes when many wouldn’t, which led to a great period of stability and (relative) ‘success’. Finch Farm was under his watch. He was a big supporter of BMD and clearly played a big part in that happening. Lasting structural pieces that really live up to our motto.

There’s obviously a lot in the opposite column (lying to shareholders at multiple AGMs, Destination Kirkby, Kings Dock, Philip Green, Chris Samuelson, NTL, Rooney, Sheikh Mansour, Denise in a headlock…), and that’s why he’s been so divisive. My view is that he thought he could do his best for the club and that his best meant that he felt he needed to remain as custodian in a day and age where any connection to the community is all but dead in boardrooms across the country. In that sense, his passing truly marks the end of an era. I do think his ego held us back and has damaged us and jeopardised our longer-term future, ultimately. He should have gone a long time ago. His Colonel Kurtz act has done both him and the club no favours. His sporting legacy is one of clear failure, in the context of our history.

But today is a sad day. I met him once, outside of Arsenal at Highbury. I wanted to give him a piece of my mind but he was so friendly, so effusive about Everton and the support we had, that I ended up just shaking his hand and leaving it with a ‘Good luck, Bill.’ Maybe that was part of the problem and contributed to many giving him an easier ride than he deserved, but he was undoubtedly a massive blue and someone it was easy to like.

As I say, it’s the end of an era of millionaires in the billionaires’ playground. Very few clubs have the kinds of links back to the history and community of the club that he brought.

Ultimately, we lost a fellow blue today, and for that, I’m sad.

This was posted on another forum and think its a great summary to share!
  • His own community work, and advocacy for EitC - which is truly a leading example in the Premier League - are truly to be admired. As was his support for the Hillsborough families. So much that he did that leave a truly wonderful legacy.

It’s worth noting, as well, that he seemed to be genuinely loved by players, coaches and the football community. He was often a truly great representative for the club.

On the field, on the plus side, he stuck with Moyes when many wouldn’t, which led to a great period of stability and (relative) ‘success’. Finch Farm was under his watch. He was a big supporter of BMD and clearly played a big part in that happening. Lasting structural pieces that really live up to our motto.

There’s obviously a lot in the opposite column (lying to shareholders at multiple AGMs, Destination Kirkby, Kings Dock, Philip Green, Chris Samuelson, NTL, Rooney, Sheikh Mansour, Denise in a headlock…), and that’s why he’s been so divisive. My view is that he thought he could do his best for the club and that his best meant that he felt he needed to remain as custodian in a day and age where any connection to the community is all but dead in boardrooms across the country. In that sense, his passing truly marks the end of an era. I do think his ego held us back and has damaged us and jeopardised our longer-term future, ultimately. He should have gone a long time ago. His Colonel Kurtz act has done both him and the club no favours. His sporting legacy is one of clear failure, in the context of our history.

But today is a sad day. I met him once, outside of Arsenal at Highbury. I wanted to give him a piece of my mind but he was so friendly, so effusive about Everton and the support we had, that I ended up just shaking his hand and leaving it with a ‘Good luck, Bill.’ Maybe that was part of the problem and contributed to many giving him an easier ride than he deserved, but he was undoubtedly a massive blue and someone it was easy to like.

As I say, it’s the end of an era of millionaires in the billionaires’ playground. Very few clubs have the kinds of links back to the history and community of the club that he brought.

Ultimately, we lost a fellow blue today, and for that, I’m sad.
Pretty fair assessment that.

He was, in my opinion, a rarity of the boardroom ecosystem who represented many of the values that I hold dear about Everton and the city of Liverpool itself.

He was an actual fan
Passionate without being tribal
Working class and into the arts
Persistent, patient
Invested in the community
Welcoming but protective

The money in the game overtook him and his capacity to lead the club. In the end, I think the last years of his tenure can be defined by that, by a somewhat mad, absolutist desperation to cling onto a love that no longer can or wants to love you back.

Too early to tell what his legacy will be. On the one hand we've won f all. On the other hand we've lived through 20 years of significant upheaval to the football economy and are still in the top tier, with a shiny new stadium to match.

Today I am proud to be an Evertonian. Rest In Peace, Bill