Bill Kenwright

It didn’t mate:

“For many years, the Annual General Meeting was seen as a means by which small shareholders (numbering around 200 persons) could express their opinions and concerns on how the club was being run.

But things came to a head with a particularly raucous AGM in 2007 when Bill Kenwright was strongly challenged over issues with the previous failed stadium venture known as Destination Kirkby. Kenwright took the unilateral action to suspend AGMs for the next 7 years, denying the small shareholders any voice.”
Fair enough.

Did you know him personally? If not, (and often even if you did) you have no idea if he was a decent bloke or not. It's not just business decisions. What about the endless lies, terminating AGMs, dirty dealings with the likes of Philip Green and Samuelson? Killing off Kings Dock with betrayal of his former partners? The whole Destination Kirkby sell out, built on more lies? Other operating costs? More recently throwing the club's fanbase under the bus, closely followed by his fellow board members? There are decades of this... Does any of it describe decency? I've no doubt he did several good deeds but the cult of celebrity often renders reverence on even the greatest rogues, so I'd rather reserve judgement based on the whole history...
So the period of mourning is over?

If so then I agree with the content of your post.

I'm sure there are a huge amount of good deeds that can be related . Personally I met him just the once and only spoke to him for about 15 minutes but the impression that I gained was that he was only interested in himself.

Another full 180 from Dave, anything for an argument lol
Its not though is it. Most people on here know how much I loathed what he did to Everton. But we have to distinguish the man from the chairman here. Have some compassion and decorum.

As said: we can dissect Kenwright's wrongdoing in terms of governance at a later date.

How some people don't get that distinction I don't know. They must be pretty twisted people.

I used to talk to him often years ago doing what I was doing and he was sound and the most dyed in the wool blue you could meet. I enjoyed our chats and he was an evidently really good human.

He held onto Everton ownership way too long to the detriment of the club and made some lousy decisions in leading this club that ruined my weekends and led us to where we are now. I also didn’t like the curtailing of AGMs and what I perceived to be an echo chamber in the club I support that inhibited its progression and happy weekends for me.

All in all my first paragraph there supersedes the second as that’s my value system. If yours is different then sound. A good man passed away so I’ll honour the human rather than the profession, which is always secondary to anyone who gets it.
Great post Chico, exactly how i feel about Bill.

Never had an issue with him as a fan, Bluenose or man and he did a lot of good for many causes and eitc; I had numerous issues with his chairmanship and directorship of the club. The two things can be separated.

Its not though is it. Most people on here know how much I loathed what he did to Everton. But we have to distinguish the man from the chairman here. Have some compassion and decorum.

As said: we can dissect Kenwright's wrongdoing in terms of governance at a later date.

How some people don't get that distinction I don't know. They must be pretty twisted people.

Not twisted at all Dave, it's just what you do twist things around, Bill Kenwright obviously done a lot of good things/ deeds in life. But he was not a good Chairman for Everton fc, history will tell you that. Now get back to ripping into the Labour Party, another full 180. :bye:

Not twisted at all Dave, it's just what you do twist things around, Bill Kenwright obviously done a lot of good things/ deeds in life. But he was not a good Chairman for Everton fc, history will tell you that. Now get back to ripping into the Labour Party, another full 180. :bye:
^^^ this BS should't even be in this thread.

Have some sense will you.

I used to talk to him often years ago doing what I was doing and he was sound and the most dyed in the wool blue you could meet. I enjoyed our chats and he was an evidently really good human.

He held onto Everton ownership way too long to the detriment of the club and made some lousy decisions in leading this club that ruined my weekends and led us to where we are now. I also didn’t like the curtailing of AGMs and what I perceived to be an echo chamber in the club I support that inhibited its progression and happy weekends for me.

All in all my first paragraph there supersedes the second as that’s my value system. If yours is different then sound. A good man passed away so I’ll honour the human rather than the profession, which is always secondary to anyone who gets it.
Great post mate...

It didn’t mate:

“For many years, the Annual General Meeting was seen as a means by which small shareholders (numbering around 200 persons) could express their opinions and concerns on how the club was being run.

But things came to a head with a particularly raucous AGM in 2007 when Bill Kenwright was strongly challenged over issues with the previous failed stadium venture known as Destination Kirkby. Kenwright took the unilateral action to suspend AGMs for the next 7 years, denying the small shareholders any voice.”
Which conveniently also stopped those embarrassing questions about the massive "Other Operating Costs" which BK wanted to keep quiet, for some reason...

Amen brother.

So what now in terms of the Chairman position ? We now have an relatively uninterested owner, no chairman and a relatively inexperienced board in terms of football. Resolution of the ownership issue still seems a good bit off. Not good leading up to the re-opening of the transfer window.
Sooner things are progressed the better.

The most important thing is 3 points for our club tomorrow. A piece in the i today by Katherine Lucas. Oh how our fans are despised and lied about by the press. The RS and Utd fans protest against owners and its tea sympathy and media support all around. Never forget Evertonians protested for a reason. We know our club was the equal of those other two.