2019/20 Bill Kenwright

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Steve, why weren´t we City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea? Etc... We were at least on a par with these clubs going into the Premier League era. The absolute dagger through the heart is that I accept we are a relatively small club now, but I just can´t and never will accept why we got here was by chance. There was gross mismanagement at the very top level and Bill Kenwright was at the heart of it.

When I look at the videos from years gone by, it kills me. The tradition of this club is dead, and for me, that rests with the common denominator of the past 30 years.

Danny...I admire your passion but please don't lose any sleep over what is supposed to be a pleasure for you, watching the team you support. The fact is that when Bill took over, we were already in a situation were we were not an obvious purchase target for what were then the new big money people, Abramovich wanted a London club, and Ken Bates had virtually run Chelsea into the ground so it was a good deal,the Russian got the club for a very reasonable price and used his fortune to build up the playing side of Chelsea...even now with his visa problems, he still has his plaything,but unless he writes off the massive amount the club owes him, he will not be able to sell and will take a big loss anyway. United have been a rich club for many years,but the Glazers bought the club with the clubs own money, as it were, not a method that could have been used at Everton, and since Munich United have been a global name. They are still more iconic world wide than City,despite the money spent by the sheiks who were always going to buy City, for various reasons. To help their mate Shiniwatra out of a financial hole(another director had paid the wages for two months, because all of Siniwatras money was locked in Thailand by the Thai government...he effectively had no money) The sheiks also saw the ready made paid for stadium( I think they've now 'bought' it of the Council) and the opportunity for,lets call it 'cultural development along with regeneration' around the stadium.Arsenal,another London club,had a very rich owner and a great manager for many years,and even then the cost of their new stadium effected Wengers transfer budget for many years.(Is this whats happening to Poch?) So you see at the time the really big money was coming into football,Everton were not an obvious buy.
And if you count the RS in your thinking, they were bought at a knockdown price from the bank who were virtual liquidators after the two cowboys had nearly fished them off. Their owners are a major sports conglomerate and as soon as their investment looks like slowing down and not giving them profit, they'll want out.
PS Was Shiniwatra Thai or Malayanese ? Old age catching up!!:)

Last edited:
Danny....we may be in your eyes a relatively small club now, but we have more potential to become a very big club than any other club . We have a new stadium coming, we sell out most if not all Prem games, and the seeds have been sown for a massive upgrade on the pitch. If,when we start getting regular European games our revenue will increase.and I don't think Mosh will be afraid to invest in the right areas. Its all part of the journey, Danny,and you have been given a great gift...you have been born an Evertonian.

While Kenwright hasn't been perfect and rightly faces some criticism, it frustrates me that people ignore how it was his tenure that crippled this club, not Bill.
I think a lot of people who seem to hate Bill weren't around back then, the Johnson era was before there time. If it was Bill that crippled the club fair enough, but it was dead when he took over, at a time when there was no chance any buisness men would come in.

I think a lot of people who seem to hate Bill weren't around back then, the Johnson era was before there time. If it was Bill that crippled the club fair enough, but it was dead when he took over, at a time when there was no chance any buisness men would come in.
Exactly. It's the same old Everton way where fans feel it necessary to label people in extreme brackets - hate or love - when actually the middle ground is fair.

Like I said, by praising Bill for rescuing the club from the abyss it was facing doesn't mean that we can't balance that against some of his questionable decisions.

Great owner? No. Bad owner? Definitely not! The truth lies somewhere in the middle. Also, comparing the likes of Manure, Arsenal, Chelsea and City is naive.

Manure had built a huge support through their marketing methods in the 70s and 80s, way before Bill, and Ferguson's success just multiplied this further,

Arsenal have always been a big club due to their success over the years with the added bonus of London, so would always get attention from potential buyers.

Chelsea were an attractive interest because of their desirable location while City had a stadium pretty much gifted to them, which means less money needed.

But Steve, why weren´t we City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea? Etc... We were at least on a par with these clubs going into the Premier League era. The absolute dagger through the heart is that I accept we are a relatively small club now, but I just can´t and never will accept why we got here was by chance. There was gross mismanagement at the very top level and Bill Kenwright was at the heart of it.

When I look at the videos from years gone by, it kills me. The tradition of this club is dead, and for me, that rests with the common denominator of the past 30 years.

Danny, tradition never dies, if anyone knows about tradition it is someone from Northern Ireland. Success and tradition are different things. If a mega mega rich person bought us and immediately bought 16 players and we started winning trophies but stopped all the community work and the stuff that makes us Everton then that would be more damaging to our tradition. If we are to get to the top table again we will build our way up, we could be witnessing the start of a new era. We are Evertonians, we do things in the right way.

There has always been an anti Bill group, just as any club has supporters who are anti Chairman. As you say, some who weren't around in the Johnson era are simply following the 'usual suspects' like lemmings.

2 of the 3 above are among the biggest revenue generating clubs in the world.

Chelsea have a billionaire owner.

Not sure you're comparing apples with apples here.

Until the premier league began they didn't make a fraction of what they made from the new tv deals.

Look at when they did up their stadiums.

And Chelsea got bought out in 2004? Not the start of the 90s...

Intelligent stuff as usual from you. I'm glad youre coming round to the fact that during Bills tenure money was a major problem(see my post about 'the financial balancing act') I think Moshiri realised he need input from Bill after the Koeman disaster...Sam was by nature of a 'needs must' appointment and in that respect it was successful....it restored discipline in the squad, there was at least a system for the players to play,albeit not a pretty one. Silva was Moshiris appointment with input from Brands, who was involved a long time before he signed,and there may have been comment from Bill,which could have been over ruled, because Mosh was always keen on Silva. Funnily enough my wife was secretary to Professor Cary Cooper(google him) at UMIST when Terry Leahy was doing his degree....I wrote to Mr. Leahy about possible involvement in Everton and got a curt negative response from his secretary 'Mr Leahy does not and will not have any interest in involvement in Everton Football Club.' I suppose he goes to the game though, when he can.;)

Thanks Steve, you too.

It is quite commonly accepted that Bill wanted an investor as opposed to someone to take over. You can look at this both ways, on the one hand we avoided a poor take over, on the other who knows if he'd have been more willing to relinquish control we may have hit the big time earlier.

However the more I see of Moshiri the more I feel we are closer to that model than we probably first anticipated. I don't think Moshiri is massively uneasy by Bills presence. If he was Bill would be moved on.

I'd also say there is a reasonable position that could be developed that the issue Kenwright had was money. It's not my perspective by any means, but it's not a wholly unreasonable position. There was a stability to the club, and had Moyes have had more money to spend around 07 through to 09 who knows where we might have ended up?

As for now I agree with you that the chastening experience of Koeman and to a degree how it unravelled under Allardyce would have been quite telling for Moshiri. Ensuring stability at a club is difficult, and without it you are unlikely to be successful.

There are some positives (as well as negatives) about the old Everton (the Everton of Kenwright). Maybe Moshiri feels he can utilise some of the positive bits while helping to cover for some of the poorer bits?

It's my view a Chairman of Everton should be holding people to much higher standards. I think thats how we grow. But we have to see how Moshiri's position goes. It;'s been a good season, lets see if we can kick on again.

As for Leahy, if you double his salary he suddenly becomes interested in the job. In any job, anyone will listen to someone if their salary is doubled. I'm very happy in my role, but if someone offers to double my salary, I have a conversation with them. It gets trebled and I move. Leahy will not be on astronomical sums (the fees execs are paid compared to footballers is low, but the impact can be higher). Who knows he may even come as a none exec director, which would be useful.

Either way, finding 2-3-4 top draw people and paying them what they want to me would make a lot of sense.

Dislike not hate,

Didn’t like Peter Johnson either, I remember the protests against him too, one on the pitch after that Coventry match. Also remember an incident someone jumping on his car as he was leaving Goodison.

Status
Not open for further replies.