2019/20 Bill Kenwright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just one example. In our history, would you call overseeing our relegation to the then Second Division less successful? You do realise that Bill Kenwright doesn't actually PLAY for Everton, don't you?

The thing is though, Steve, he is a very unsuccessful chairman. Moving out of the city makes me realise how small we have actually become. I feel like every footballing conversation leads to me doing my best to explain that Everton were at one point one of the big boys.

No one sees us as a major player anymore. People genuinely see us as an afterthought. At best we are a decent club who remains mid table forever more; at worst we are a joke to other football fans because will never achieve anything of note again.

This transformation didn´t happen overnight, it happened with Bill Kenwright at the helm.

Who would you have thrown your hat in with when Johnson left then? I am neither pro nor anti Kenwright, but I do find it amusing that some lob every single negative about the last 20 plus years at him, while providing no other narrative.
That would be a worthwhile question if we knew all parties interested in buying the club.

Let’s face it, if Moyes hadn’t of performed miracles on a shoestring and we had gone down, Kenwright would’ve been run out of town.

Why is it laughable to hold Kenwright responsible for what has happened over the past twenty years, when he was majority shareholder for 17 of them years?

The thing is though, Steve, he is a very unsuccessful chairman. Moving out of the city makes me realise how small we have actually become. I feel like every footballing conversation leads to me doing my best to explain that Everton were at one point one of the big boys.

No one sees us as a major player anymore. People genuinely see us as an afterthought. At best we are a decent club who remains mid table forever more; at worst we are a joke to other football fans because will never achieve anything of note again.

This transformation didn´t happen overnight, it happened with Bill Kenwright at the helm.

Danny ...in one respect it happened overnight...a couple of times, if that can make sense. Firstly the European ban, and secondly the formation of the Premier League and the coming of Sky when the likes of City, United, Arsenal and Chelsea putting much more money into their teams,and having the money to invest in infrastructure that increased their global revenue dramatically. If Bill had been a multi billionaire instead of have just low millions available, we might be in the top two now. Football is a business,its about revenue and affording the best players. Forty years ago it was a working mans game, now taking a couple of kids to a game can cost as much as a weekend in Teneriffe. Its not a crime to not have enough money, and its all very well saying 'if you can't afford it,get someone else' because that is the most dangerous game of all. Bolton,Aston Villa,Leeds, Coventry, Blackburn, Notts Forest,Stoke City, Derby,West Brom, What do they all have in common.

That would be a worthwhile question if we knew all parties interested in buying the club.

Let’s face it, if Moyes hadn’t of performed miracles on a shoestring and we had gone down, Kenwright would’ve been run out of town.

Why is it laughable to hold Kenwright responsible for what has happened over the past twenty years, when he was majority shareholder for 17 of them years?

The point is that Johnson left such a mess that no one was prepared to take Everton on. In some ways Bill became the 'owner' reluctantly.

What "happened" though?

We have generally been the best of the rest for that time. The "miracles" Moyes performed happened because Kenwright made him manager and stuck with him when a lot of clubs would have panicked and got rid.

Its per usual with our fans it's all so black and white. He is great or he is the worst ever. Realistically he has done an average job, kept us at the right end of the table and done some really good work away from the pitch in terms of the community so anyone who says he has done nothing is wrong.

Of course it would have been nice to win something during that time but those "miracles" did not happen.

He was fine. Not good, not bad, just fine. It could have been a lot, lot worse, you only have to look around the league to see that. Of course it also could have been better if you look at a handful of other clubs.

Like an embarrassing uncle tbh, I don't hate him when you think about the other divvy chairman/owners you have seen over the years in the Premier League who have ran clubs like absolute garbage, He tried his best. He probably could have done more and probably regrets a lot of things about handling the club but thats life.

Danny ...in one respect it happened overnight...a couple of times, if that can make sense. Firstly the European ban, and secondly the formation of the Premier League and the coming of Sky when the likes of City, United, Arsenal and Chelsea putting much more money into their teams,and having the money to invest in infrastructure that increased their global revenue dramatically. If Bill had been a multi billionaire instead of have just low millions available, we might be in the top two now. Football is a business,its about revenue and affording the best players. Forty years ago it was a working mans game, now taking a couple of kids to a game can cost as much as a weekend in Teneriffe. Its not a crime to not have enough money, and its all very well saying 'if you can't afford it,get someone else' because that is the most dangerous game of all. Bolton,Aston Villa,Leeds, Coventry, Blackburn, Notts Forest,Stoke City, Derby,West Brom, What do they all have in common.

But Steve, why weren´t we City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea? Etc... We were at least on a par with these clubs going into the Premier League era. The absolute dagger through the heart is that I accept we are a relatively small club now, but I just can´t and never will accept why we got here was by chance. There was gross mismanagement at the very top level and Bill Kenwright was at the heart of it.

When I look at the videos from years gone by, it kills me. The tradition of this club is dead, and for me, that rests with the common denominator of the past 30 years.

BUT, to expand on the above, Bill has made countless mistakes, the failed stadium moves, swerving the arabs at City, selling Rooney on the cheap, presiding over the downfall of the club.
I agree with whoever said it was Moyes that kept us in the league, 100%, without Moyes we would be in League One I reckon, cos we would have fallen and we would have fallen HARD. The club was an utter mess, Moyes rescued us for the grand sum of 14m over his 11 year tenure, miracle worker.
So im not a fan of Bill, but I do think he helped keep us in the league, if nothing else he appointed Moyes and gave him time after finishing 17th.
But honestly, 3 years ago he sold all his rights away, its no longer his show, so I just think its silly to blame him for whats happening now, blame him for the last 22 years, but the buck stopped 3 years ago, it's no longer his show.
I think there are days when he still thinks it is, maybe days where the cat is away so to speak and he gets away with stuff.

What "happened" though?

We have generally been the best of the rest for that time. The "miracles" Moyes performed happened because Kenwright made him manager and stuck with him when a lot of clubs would have panicked and got rid.

Its per usual with our fans it's all so black and white. He is great or he is the worst ever. Realistically he has done an average job, kept us at the right end of the table and done some really good work away from the pitch in terms of the community so anyone who says he has done nothing is wrong.

Of course it would have been nice to win something during that time but those "miracles" did not happen.

He was fine. Not good, not bad, just fine. It could have been a lot, lot worse, you only have to look around the league to see that. Of course it also could have been better if you look at a handful of other clubs.

We have literally competed for the top honours in the country across every single decade until he took charge. The fact Evertonians actually turn around and say us winning something would be a miracle says it all.

You know what though? It´s weighed me down that much I´m not even bothered anymore. The likes of you accepted it such a long time ago that I no longer get bothered either. I watch my Internet streams, see the legacy of Kenwright and leave it at that. I´m fully aware there will be no miracles any time soon, just a continuation of the what we´ve had since I was born.

We all want trophies. Just remember the phrase 'big club' is just a male phallus waving exercise. We are not the media darlings but they dont create news, they follow it.
Everyone who knows Man U now knows what we did to them. They will know a lot more next season. We will finish above them and their inept manager

We have literally competed for the top honours in the country across every single decade until he took charge. The fact Evertonians actually turn around and say us winning something would be a miracle says it all.

You know what though? It´s weighed me down that much I´m not even bothered anymore. The likes of you accepted it such a long time ago that I no longer get bothered either. I watch my Internet streams, see the legacy of Kenwright and leave it at that. I´m fully aware there will be no miracles any time soon, just a continuation of the what we´ve had since I was born.
The 1950s were dire, relegation and nothingness, although 2 cup semi-finals, lost of course.

We all want trophies. Just remember the phrase 'big club' is just a male phallus waving exercise. We are not the media darlings but they dont create news, they follow it.
Everyone who knows Man U now knows what we did to them. They will know a lot more next season. We will finish above them and their inept manager

lol

Even with their inept manager they are still 13 points above us. We won´t finish above them next season and even if we did it´d be a flash in the pan. I´m sorry but I just can´t believe how any of you retain any sort of optimism given what you´ve seen for decades now.

The reason we aren´t media darlings is because we don´t compete, we don´t win trophies and tbh we probably never will again. It´s been 7 years since we even won a derby match FFS.

lol

Even with their inept manager they are still 13 points above us. We won´t finish above them next season and even if we did it´d be a flash in the pan. I´m sorry but I just can´t believe how any of you retain any sort of optimism given what you´ve seen for decades now.

The reason we aren´t media darlings is because we don´t compete, we don´t win trophies and tbh we probably never will again. It´s been 7 years since we even won a derby match FFS.
Cheer up:)

lol

Nearly 9 years*

Believe it is our longest winless run.

Status
Not open for further replies.