2019/20 Bill Kenwright

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBH I struggle to understand some of the financial things that are alleged to have gone on, or not, but I remember the Peter Johnson days very well. Who was that below-average full back we bought from his Tranmere team for huge money? Lots of other stuff going on. I'll always have a regard for Kenwright for getting that charalatan away from our club.
Going forwards though, yes, i dare say we would be better with him away from it now and someone more progressive instead.

The full back was Tony Thomas was rubbish for us, though I don’t recall spending bin loads on him, I thought it was the keeper we spunked £2.5
TBH I struggle to understand some of the financial things that are alleged to have gone on, or not, but I remember the Peter Johnson days very well. Who was that below-average full back we bought from his Tranmere team for huge money? Lots of other stuff going on. I'll always have a regard for Kenwright for getting that charalatan away from our club.
Going forwards though, yes, i dare say we would be better with him away from it now and someone more progressive instead.

The full back was Tony Thomas, though we bought him for not a lot I seem to recall. Steve Simonson the goalkeeper though we threw a bin load of cash at, I think he was the most expensive young keeper for a while...

The full back was Tony Thomas was rubbish for us, though I don’t recall spending bin loads on him, I thought it was the keeper we spunked £2.5

The full back was Tony Thomas, though we bought him for not a lot I seem to recall. Steve Simonson the goalkeeper though we threw a bin load of cash at, I think he was the most expensive young keeper for a while...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Thomas_(footballer)

After completing a £400,000 move to Everton before the 1997–98 season

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Simonsen
Both clubs were under the control of Peter Johnson at the time. It was reported by various media bodies that the transfer fee was worth £3.3 million, a record fee for a goalkeeper. However Tramere Rovers' officially sanctioned Complete Record book states that this a myth and that the deal "was based on staged payments depending upon appearances, Everton's future success and international caps, none of which came" and that "Rovers never saw anymore than the initial £1m down payment."

Mate, I like you as a poster, but that really sounds like nonsense and doesn’t make us seem more successful at all.

The point is it's easy to get a few in row.... we have had a team that challenges over quite a number of decades.... sustainability, we have been relevant longer than any club.

What we need more than anything else is people within the club to understand this..... it's an historic club and fortunately we have the fan base and passion to deliver.

That's the one, memory playing me up. Going back to Tranmere for 2 very average players for what was a lot of money. Thanks Johnson.

I worry that this season above all others cements the divide between us and the big six.

An all-PL Champions League final and likely the same in the Europa League.

Really only Utd who have gone backwards but they are the Hollywood club that can spend big at any time.

Moshiri has good intentions I don't doubt but I have thought all along that the compromise he seemingly had to agree to in keeping Kenwright was a step too far.

Appealing to Kenwrights better nature to go is just futile but we need to turn a page from his legacy of failure and mawkish sentimentality, even if doing so only has symbolic value.

We need to breathe again with fresh impetus. Kenwright is history at Everton, and history marked by continual failure and regression.

I think the same regarding DBB in that it was an appointment of convenience which challenges nobody to do things differently or better but that's an argument for another day.

I can't believe that Moshiri would have willingly chosen either of them if he was running Everton along the lines of roles he has taken at USM.

I worry that this season above all others cements the divide between us and the big six.

Really only Utd who have gone backwards but they are the Hollywood club that can spend big at any time.

Moshiri has good intentions I don't doubt but I have thought all along that the compromise he seemingly had to agree to in keeping Kenwright was a step too far.

Appealing to Kenwrights better nature to go is just futile but we need to turn a page from his legacy of failure and mawkish sentimentality, even if doing so only has symbolic value.

We need to breathe again with fresh impetus. Kenwright is history at Everton, and history marked by continual failure and regression.

I think the same regarding DBB in that it was an appointment of convenience which challenges nobody to do things differently or better but that's an argument for another day.

I can't believe that Moshiri would have willingly chosen either of them if he was running Everton along the lines of roles he has taken at USM.

Great post.

I think the club needs him gone just so nobody can point fingers and his face isn’t a reminder of failures of the last 30 years

Excellent post, mate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Thomas_(footballer)

After completing a £400,000 move to Everton before the 1997–98 season

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Simonsen
Both clubs were under the control of Peter Johnson at the time. It was reported by various media bodies that the transfer fee was worth £3.3 million, a record fee for a goalkeeper. However Tramere Rovers' officially sanctioned Complete Record book states that this a myth and that the deal "was based on staged payments depending upon appearances, Everton's future success and international caps, none of which came" and that "Rovers never saw anymore than the initial £1m down payment."

Thanks for reawakening the nightmare...I'd almost forgotten about this era.

Im not pointing fingers here, but if Spurs can make it to a Champions League final, then i see no reason, why we shouldn't aim to reach those levels.

The thing is, though, the semi-equivalent of that is like buying a 20k dollar car now and it somehow becomes a cult classic worth 10X it's value 40 years later...at a certain point, it's just as much down to factors out of your control. Nine times out of ten, trophies are in line with wage budgets...but 1 out of 10 clubs with high wage budgets gets a trophy. It's all a crap shoot, for the most part. Try to enjoy the smaller things, it's generally what most supporters get in the scheme of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.