Bilic confirming that abusing players effects their game

Status
Not open for further replies.

"I say old chum, that pass and move was a little off kilter, might you find it in your disposition to concentrate a little more and move that bit quicker, it really would be conducive to these unwashed hordes to finding the spectacle somewhat enjoyable don't you know..."

Nobody should be threatened or abused, of course not, but someone calling a sportsman, a very well remunerated sportsman who's wage comes from the fans by hook or by crook, out on social media for poor form or a lack of effort is absolutely fair and if that is too much for some sportspeople then they should consider a career change.

What an embarrassing post.

People should stop being human because they are well paid.

God, Ive put in some hours on here today! Think I'll keep slavens words to meself next time. Tell the dog or something
First comment you've made in this thread with which I haven't disagreed.

I have coached three different sports (rugby, American football and lacrosse) and in two of them I've coached both men and women.

In my experience, SOME players absolutely thrive on kindness and gentle encouragement - the famous "arm around the shoulder" approach. Others don't buy into it at all, and work better when faced with blunt, loud criticism. The idea that ALL footballers have exactly the same psychological reaction to spectator criticism just makes no sense to me.

As a player in the three sports I mentioned, I personally enjoyed my best seasons in each sport under coaches who absolutely pulled no punches in telling me when I wasn't meeting the standard required. The year I got picked to play for Great Britain (at university level) in American football, I had a coach who chipped away at me every game, asking me why I was letting my teammates do the work for me, when I was going to actually prove I was good enough to even be considered - his best line was "you have a better chance of making the GB cheerleading squad."

Everything he said made me work harder and harder, just to prove him wrong. He understood my psychology and knew he'd get more out of me by telling me I was letting people down than he ever would by telling me he that I was a wonderful person. The same coach used the same method on some of my teammates, to similar positive effect. My own later experiences of coaching demonstrated to me that other players (SOME, not all) also prefer this approach.

Maybe getting paid thousands of pounds a week is a facet of the equation that somehow weeds out all the people who prefer the more brutal approach?

Last edited:

First comment you've made in this thread with which I haven't disagreed.

I have coached three different sports (rugby, American football and lacrosse) and in two of them I've coached both men and women.

In my experience, SOME players absolutely thrive on kindness and gentle encouragement - the famous "arm around the shoulder" approach. Others don't buy into it at all, and work better when faced with blunt, loud criticism. The idea that ALL footballers have exactly the same psychological reaction to spectator criticism just makes no sense to me.

As a player in the three sports I mentioned, I personally enjoyed my best seasons in each sport under coaches who absolutely pulled no punches in telling me when I wasn't meeting the standard required. The year I got picked to play for Great Britain (at university level) in American football, I had a coach who chipped away at me every game, asking me why I was letting my teammates do the work for me, when I was going to actually prove I was good enough to even be considered - his best line was "you have a better chance of making the GB cheerleading squad.". Everything he said made me work harder and harder, just to prove him wrong. He understood my psychology and knew he'd get more out of me by telling me I was letting people down than he ever would by telling me he that I was a wonderful person.

Maybe getting paid thousands of pounds a week is a facet of the equation that somehow weeds out all the people who prefer the more brutal approach?
Im (slaven) are not talking about tough love from coaches, more how players respond to fans telling them they’re sh11 every game. I’ve been around football, rugby and athletics my whole life, as a player and father. No kid responds well to the whole crowd booing them, it’s just not happening big bucks or no.

Im (slaven) are not talking about tough love from coaches, more how players respond to fans telling them they’re sh11 every game. I’ve been around football, rugby and athletics my whole life, as a player and father. No kid responds well to the whole crowd booing them, it’s just not happening big bucks or no.
And I'm telling you that it's not an absolute. There are players that don't give a toss what the crowd says, there are players that thrive off of crowd negativity.

Why?

Because players are all people, and people all have differing psychologies.

Slaven Bilic hasn't surveyed every player in football. He probably hasn't surveyed even a thousand players. Nor is he a psychologist. So frankly, I don't place much weight in what he says.

SOME players are of the psychological type that won't respond well to negative criticism from the crowd. Others are not of that type - Richarlison being the most recent example I can think of at Goodison, for instance.

And I'm telling you that it's not an absolute. There are players that don't give a toss what the crowd says, there are players that thrive off of crowd negativity.

Why?

Because players are all people, and people all have differing psychologies.

Slaven Bilic hasn't surveyed every player in football. He probably hasn't surveyed even a thousand players. Not is he a psychologist. So frankly, I don't place much weight in what he says.

SOME players are of the psychological type that won't respond well to negative criticism from the crowd. Others are not of that type - Richarlison being the most recent example I can think of at Goodison, for instance.
Take your example, Richie is the only example I can think of who seemed to be OK with it in recent years at our club. Not great odds tbh.

Take your example, Richie is the only example I can think of who seemed to be OK with it in recent years at our club. Not great odds tbh.
Cahill.
Mirallas.
Naismith.
Distin.
Lukaku.

I'll grant you the current squad is disproportionately weighted towards players who wilt under crowd pressure... But I'd contend that this is an indicator that they are psychologically weak, and too many weak players will cause you problems... Oh look, we're in relegation trouble.

Players who can't pick themselves up from a poor performance because people comment on their poor performance are probably not going to get to the top of the mountain.

Status
Not open for further replies.