Best players you have played with who never made it

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Reverand

Player Valuation: £1m
We all think we were better footballers than we actually were - the older I get the better I was!!
But who did you play with who you thought they have to make it and didn't?

I'll start you off - Paul Brown top centre half who rejected a YTS with us to continue his education...fast aggressive and a winner!

My brother had scouts from Celtic and Rangers come to watch him but 5 minutes into the first game of the season, John McGinley (ex Bolton and Scotland) clattered into him and he got a slipped disc which put him out for the season. After that, his job meant he had work on Saturdays so he couldn’t play in the league and missed his chance.
He used to play regularly with McGinley and also Duncan Shearer (ex Blackburn, Aberdeen and Scotland) and both say my brother was a much better player than them both.

My brother had scouts from Celtic and Rangers come to watch him but 5 minutes into the first game of the season, John McGinley (ex Bolton and Scotland) clattered into him and he got a slipped disc which put him out for the season. After that, his job meant he had work on Saturdays so he couldn’t play in the league and missed his chance.
He used to play regularly with McGinley and also Duncan Shearer (ex Blackburn, Aberdeen and Scotland) and both say my brother was a much better player than them both.

Was his name John Jones by any small chance?

Rob Tyson his brother was Nathan Tyson ex reading and forest . Played with his bro for a kick about and that made me relise what a good footballer was. Just hit the ball clean every time , also a player called Danny Lewis that played for QPR U 19 and was called up for England U 19 and broke his leg before the meet up. Started smoking something he shouldn’t and now schools it for my local town team even tho he does more lines than Bart Simpson . Also Leigh mills ( the guy that turned us down for Spurs ) England U 16 captain and I last I heard was playing for Gillingham. I remeber when it hit the papers we offered 500k or whatever for him, I was Jelous beyond belief and wanted to assist him, then I heard he rejected us and I wanted to kill him :) also Matt day that played for Oxford

Brian of Nazareth had the world at his feet this lad loads of fans followed his every move .just got in with the wrong crowd
Turned into a graffiti artist .breaking and entering .taking birds back to his room .saying all that thou he was no John Jones

In 1996, as a 16 year old I played in goal for my local adult Sunday League team in a tournament in Great Yarmouth. In our first game we played a team featuring former striker Adrian Coote (who was a mate of a mate), just after he had signed his first pro contract for Norwich City (he had been given dispensation to play in it for his former amateur team).

In the first half I saved one of his penalites. SCENES! Later in the game I got injured and so my dad (who was our team's manager and about 42 at the time) had to replace me in goal. They got another penalty in the second half and my dad then saved another one of Cootes penalties. SCENES AND LIMBS!!

Coote went on to win a few caps for Northern Ireland but his career never really took off due to injuries (and probably due to the psychological damage me and my old man caused in that one match..... lol)

...think this is one for a different forum (Ale House or World Football). It doesn’t seem appropriate on the Everton Forum.

I played youth football at a professional club for years, so there are plenty. Often a rizzla paper between those who come through and those who don’t, but those who do usually have attitude. Probably as much surprised at one or two who played top flight as a few who didn’t.

Last edited:
Used to play with a lad who everyone was sure would make it. He was big, strong, stunning turn of pace, quick feet and amazing in the air. Broke all kinds of goal scoring records as a kid. He had a micro penis though and as he got older the changing rooms became a cruel place for him. His name: John Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.