Best Everton Right/Left Back Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I get abuse hurled in my direction, look where we concede all our goals. The left. First and foremost Baines is a Left BACK.

Arguably at fault for the first goal, as Whittaker pin balled it of him and Pienaar.

The 2nd was a skew-wiff shot that fell nicely for Mr Wolf. Arguably Baines could have done more to block the shot/cross. Although I'm not convinced. It certainly wasn't one of his best games, but I wouldn't say he was bad, never mind woeful.

If you're talking more generally about conceding on the left after going forward, I'd have to counter and say it's part of our tactics for Baines to get forward, it's then up to Pienaar to drop back. Or Distin to come across whilst a CM drops into CB.

We lost more goals directly from baines defensive errors last year then we did from any of howard, coleman, neville or heitinga.

It's just he offers so much that we forgive him then.

We lost more goals directly from baines defensive errors last year then we did from any of howard, coleman, neville or heitinga.

It's just he offers so much that we forgive him then.

Perhaps so, it'd be interesting to see the numbers on that though. You must remember Baines played in every match last season.

Slightest of memories only of wilson. Seemed to be brilliant in defence, no one could get past him, tough tackler. Not called on to do much in final third in those days! Not when johnny Morrisey was in front of you.

F***in hell mate with Johnny Morrisey in front of you, you wouldn't have to do much defending either no f***er got passed him. he was a nuggerty auld bugger tough as old boots.

baines is good,but stevens was a better defender and his link up with tricky trev was on a diffrent planet to the current team. as a defender the likes of pejic, newton,wright were better for the defensive side of the game, going forward he might have the edge as it wasnt there job,
gidman was the only old player i can think of that did both back then.

baines is good,but stevens was a better defender and his link up with tricky trev was on a diffrent planet to the current team. as a defender the likes of pejic, newton,wright were better for the defensive side of the game, going forward he might have the edge as it wasnt there job,
gidman was the only old player i can think of that did both back then.

Yeah if the youngsters think Baines and Pienaar have been good as a pair then they would have loved Stevens and Tricky Trev. Probably twice as good.

D'you reckon?! Nah. I can only think of two.

Sunderland away was his fault. The own goals vs qpr and liverpool. Cisse at newcastle.

There was a few more but it's been a while.

Mistakes per minutes he's probably ahead of all of them but he played every game and he got caught out a fair few times.

Still our best player, mind.

Stevens before Coleman, but the lids getting better all the time, doubt i'll have the same opinion in a couple of seasons like :)

F***in hell mate with Johnny Morrisey in front of you, you wouldn't have to do much defending either no f***er got passed him. he was a nuggerty auld bugger tough as old boots.

Haha, that is true. He was one tough wee scouser. Will always remember him for my "point of no return" moment as an evertonian = the pen against Leeds at Old Trafford in 1968. No Alan Ball in that game iirc so he stood up to the plate. Looked as cool as a cucumber and rolled it in corner. Barely reached the back of the net but it was in! Everton fans in Stretford end all leaned back as if to suck the ball into the net! ace moment. Was also one of the 2 players Jack Charlton had in his little black book that he would do if he got the chance! (Bobby Lennox of Celtic the other one).
Any way I digress.

Ian Snodin converted from centre mid to right back and was a very competent player, he did so well he was called up for England but had to pull out through injury. He missed a full season and never found his form again for us before moving on. Shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.